Tyres

grtaylor

Loaded /unloaded pressures are only a couple of lbs different usually, but not the extra amoint that people here seem to put in.

i agree also with the poster above that it is a good idea to familiarise yourselff with the tires so you can do a visual check for damage other than normal wear & tear...e.g. cracking and decomposition. the hard nature of tires here and the temperatures and UV (?) seem to take there toll on tires, so thread isn't the only thing to look for.

there will be a manufacturing date on the tire if you look closely and that may even have a "use by" date (?), but what ever after 4 years or so it should be time to retire your tires and "re-tire"...if you get my drift....

Can you buy decent gauges here or should I get a mate to send one over from the UK?

You can buy good gauges here for about 200 Baht - Tesco / Big C 'motoring section' sell them.

A small unit with a dial meter that latches at peak pressure measured rather than the older push out measure unit that resembles a heavy steel pen.

Many gas stations do not have fixed air lines but have a portable cylinder on a small sack trolley, just point at your tyre when you fill up with fuel and make a noise like escaping air. They will either check your tyres or run away from the hidden snake depending how good your impersonation is.

Some gas stations are without any compressed air - so there are a wealth of tyre repair 'shops' dotted across the country that will check your air - simply look for the red and white painted tyre by the side of the road - in general they are staffed and open 24/7. Easy.

When checking your tyres - don't forget the inside walls for any bulges or tears and the spare.

Tyres should last at least 40k km, if maintained properly, all as said before, inflation, every 10k rotation and regular alignment checks (not necesarily adjustment, just check). This goes for standard vehicles from jazz to camry / accord. Once you get into high performance territory it is a different ballgame due to different requirements. Rear tires on a porsche 911 will do between 8000 and 15000 km. If you buy tires at a reputable shop you will get a tire lifetime warranty for 50,000 km or 2 years. Furthermore the legal limit in europe is a remaining tread depth of 1.6 mm which is freaking minimal. What you should bear in mind is that below 3mm the carateristics of the tire will change (as mentioned in an earlier reply), the tire will get noisier, will have much less grip and most important, much less aquaplaning resistance. Price vary wildly by brands 185/65R14 tires range in price from 1250 baht for a good local product to 2400 baht for a michelin in that size.

Roughly how many Km should I get out of the front tyres on a Soluna Vios, before they need replacing?

Thanks,

G

Most if not all tires have wear bars located in the grooves between the treads. When you get to these bars (2/32" remaining tread) you might consider replacing your tires. Thats what the wear bars are intended.

Interesting responses, and thanks to everyone who has thrown in their 2 satangs worth!

I was checking a couple of UK sites, and seems now they don't actually recommend rotating as they used to.

My car reached 30,000 this last week, and the reason I asked is that there seems to be quite a lot more wear on the front than the rear. I guess this is inevitable in a front-wheel drive car. The tyres are nowhere near their "wear bars" yet - just interested to know other people's experience.

Thanks.

Edited by grtaylor