Tyres

grtaylor

Roughly how many Km should I get out of the front tyres on a Soluna Vios, before they need replacing?

Thanks,

G

i have done 45000 k in my car and the tyres are still fine. I heard tyres should last 80 000 klicks. if you drive like an F1 driver they shouldnt last to long though.

hope that helps

Roughly how many Km should I get out of the front tyres on a Soluna Vios, before they need replacing?

Thanks,

G

i have done 45000 k in my car and the tyres are still fine. I heard tyres should last 80 000 klicks. if you drive like an F1 driver they shouldnt last to long though.

hope that helps

40,000 kms. or three years whichever comes first.

Modern tires do not wear out.

INCORRECT :o

it is extremely common for Thai's to vastly over-inflate tyres because they think it will save on Fuel (but not save your life). My new car was delivered with 20+ psi in all tyres over the recommended limit and that was from a very large & professional Car franchise not a back street garage. I have since learned that this is a very common occurrence. It causes the centre of the tread to wear down very quickly and the outside edges and walls to remain as good as new. This practice is highly dangerous when driving in wet conditions.

Dave

it is extremely common for Thai's to vastly over-inflate tyres because they think it will save on Fuel (but not save your life). My new car was delivered with 20+ psi in all tyres over the recommended limit and that was from a very large & professional Car franchise not a back street garage. I have since learned that this is a very common occurrence. It causes the centre of the tread to wear down very quickly and the outside edges and walls to remain as good as new. This practice is highly dangerous when driving in wet conditions.

Dave

If properly inflated, i.e.

Edited by pigtail

You should be good for 50000 kms / 2 years. After this time you might find that they get noisy and don't grip like they used to. I've replaced tyres at 40-50K kms simply because of these reasons, though they still had plenty of tread on them. I have Michelin Pilot Preceda's now, and they stick like glue. They have a AA rating for traction but a higher rating for tyre wear (so they will wear faster than my previous falken ziex tyres).

You should be good for 50000 kms / 2 years. After this time you might find that they get noisy and don't grip like they used to. I've replaced tyres at 40-50K kms simply because of these reasons, though they still had plenty of tread on them. I have Michelin Pilot Preceda's now, and they stick like glue. They have a AA rating for traction but a higher rating for tyre wear (so they will wear faster than my previous falken ziex tyres).

can I ask how much did the Michelin tyres cost and where did you get them from please?

My new car was delivered with 20+ psi in all tyres over the recommended limit and that was from a very large & professional Car franchise not a back street garage...
Typically tyres are over inflated from the factory - party to avoid flat spots when they are left standing for long periods prior to sale, the dealer should check your style of driving fast/heavy loads and adjust to suit at time of sale - but TIT!

Another point to consider is how you park your car every day - are you showing just one side to the sun every day - all day? This will have an impact of UV degradation on the exposed part of the tyre - in particular spares mounted on the rear of some SUVs - old style Land Rovers spring to mind.

Going over holes in the highway at speed will damage side walls and shorten the tyre's life.

can I ask how much did the Michelin tyres cost and where did you get them from please?

I have 215/45, 17 inch, and they were about 4600 baht each. Smaller diamaters will be cost less of course. I got them at Tyreplus, in Ratchaburi, but Tyreplus is all over the place in Bangkok. The Michelin Pilot Preceda pp2 is very quiet (important in a low profile tyre) and grippy. I like them:)

Edited by culicine

I have 215/45, 17 inch, and they were about 4600 baht each. Smaller diamaters will be cost less of course. I got them at Tyreplus, in Ratchaburi, but Tyreplus is all over the place in Bangkok. The Michelin Pilot Preceda pp2 is very quiet (important in a low profile tyre) and grippy. I like them:)

thank you. i will go check em out

Dave

[Of COURSE tires wear outt...what ridiculous proposal.]

However, I HAVE noticed this Thai thing of GROSSLY OVER-INFLATING tires.....surely it can't just be the idea that you will save on fuel??????

I carry a gauge and any time my vehicles have been in contact with someone who may have had reason to check the tires, I have to do so afterwards and inevitably have to let them down to the correct pressure.

If you are in any doubt what that should be, it's ususlly on a label inside the front door post (left or right) - don't get the kgs mixed up with Lbs!

Actually, I was wondering about this the other day. How come you never see tyre hoses at petrol stations over here? Mind you, they probably wouldn't ever be calibrated or even remotely accurate but if you have your own gauge, they'd be handy. I used to check pressures weekly back in the UK but just got out of the habit here and had assumed (!) that the dealer were doing them accurately for me when services come around. Can you buy decent gauges here or should I get a mate to send one over from the UK?

Thanks,

G

its a bit like how long is a piece of string this one, i have a friend alan in phuket that drives flat out everywhere ! ,he would get less than my gran that does no more than 40 mph and only uses second gear, ! you can always say on average driving but then there is tyre brand to take into account, a michelin is known for doing more miles ,however we used to see the same normalish drivers in a car that size around every 20-30000 miles. alan would be in about every 10 !

Thanks,

G

Sister in law replaced hers after nearly four years and about 60 k km's but there was still life in them imo.

Actually, I was wondering about this the other day. How come you never see tyre hoses at petrol stations over here? Mind you, they probably wouldn't ever be calibrated or even remotely accurate but if you have your own gauge, they'd be handy. I used to check pressures weekly back in the UK but just got out of the habit here and had assumed (!) that the dealer were doing them accurately for me when services come around. Can you buy decent gauges here or should I get a mate to send one over from the UK?

Checking the tires is not rocket science,.....do an "eye test"...... familiarise yourself with how they should look with the right pressure and you'll find that's pretty much all you need to do most of the time.

serviceable gauges are readily available at all the main supermarkets, AND I've found air hoses at just about every station where I've looked. They also have the "remote" pressurised barrels.

Edited by wilko

Thanks,

G

Your tires should wear evenly as they should be rotated every oil change at Toyota. How long they last depends on your driving and road surface.

If the tracking uis out etc it will cause excessive wear on one side of a tire; poorly balanced wheels will also result in wear,

Yes make sure they are always balanced, aligned and rotated. I had uneven wear on my last set on one tyre. However, there was no problem evident in the balance or driving of the car. That tyre got really noisy and was the reason I changed them out earlier than normal (about 40K kms). They had at least another 10-20K in them.

Thanks,

G

Your tires should wear evenly as they should be rotated every oil change at Toyota. How long they last depends on your driving and road surface.

you are hardly going to be pulling wheelspins in a Toyota Soluna Vios. dont worry, your tyres will last 80.000 KL. just keep an eye on the pressure and dont park in the sun.

It all depends on the tires. OEM tires should get at least 60,000 kilometers with a reasonable driving style. After that you can get soft compound that wears faster but are safer or you can get hard compound that wears much longer but have very poor traction and are dangerous on wet roads. Everything is a compromise.

It all depends on the tires. OEM tires should get at least 60,000 kilometers with a reasonable driving style. After that you can get soft compound that wears faster but are safer or you can get hard compound that wears much longer but have very poor traction and are dangerous on wet roads. Everything is a compromise.

Please be aware that whilst it is good to speak in terms of wear on the tread you must also look closely at structure. By this I refer to the fact that its not only the wear and tear from distance or the damage to the tyre walls from bresting the kerbs but also the effect the weather has on the rubber itself. Check the I suppose the word is. If so they can explode during cornering or even high speed driving with catastrophic consequences. :o

Checking the tires is not rocket science,.....do an "eye test"...... familiarise yourself with how they should look with the right pressure and you'll find that's pretty much all you need to do most of the time.

serviceable gauges are readily available at all the main supermarkets, AND I've found air hoses at just about every station where I've looked. They also have the "remote" pressurised barrels.

I agree, but a lot of BMs seem to be unaware of that fact. Sure, a visual check will tell you if your tyre is out by a long way but a good gauge should be used regularly to keep things tickety-boo. Also, always check pressures when the tyres are as cold as possible; checking when you've been driving for an hour will give you a high reading. Reducing pressure will then give you an under-inflated tyre when "at rest".

Actually, I was wondering about this the other day. How come you never see tyre hoses at petrol stations over here?

Look harder or ask because I've seen and used them at many stations.

you dont even have to go to a gas station, if you can read thai, you will see plenty of signs all over the place, payang, is what you are looking for.