Possible To Buy Health Insurance For Thailand Before Moving?

CaptHaddock

I am 58 years old and live in the US, where I have adequate health insurance. My wife and I plan to move to Thailand no sooner than three years from now when I retire. I understand that some companies, such as BUPA, will renew insurance for people over 60, but not sell them new policies at that age. Is it possible to buy health insurance coverage for Thailand now, while I am living in the US with the plan of renewing it to cover us when we resettle there? Has anyone done this?

Edited by CaptHaddock

I'm going to be in the same boat since my plan is to retire at 62 (six years from now). It gets real complicated for me because my wife is 6.5 years older than me so we have to make medicare/tricare decisions too. If I'm apprehensive about anything concerning retirement, this is it!!

The first point to make is that we can insure people over 60, in fact we can up to 75.

Now having said that, if one should have a ‘problem’ between now and when you apply, that ‘problem’ may well be exclude as a ‘pre-existing’ condition.

Bottom line is the early one gets onto the ‘insurance ladder’ the better - sooner or later you are going to have to call on it.

May we suggest the posters send in an email with their personal circumstances ?

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

I'm going to be in the same boat since my plan is to retire at 62 (six years from now). It gets real complicated for me because my wife is 6.5 years older than me so we have to make medicare/tricare decisions too. If I'm apprehensive about anything concerning retirement, this is it!!

Yes, insurance is pretty critical. Medicare doesn't apply in Thailand. Does Tricare? Anyway I sent in for a quote to the Thaivisa broker. Will let you know what I learn. I will also get competing quotes, of course.

Yes, insurance is pretty critical. Medicare doesn't apply in Thailand. Does Tricare?

This gets complicated. Tricare does apply in Thailand. Others here have posted the name and number of a contact in Bangkok for Tricare. But "tricare-for-life" (over 65) requires taking Medicare Part B. So I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. My wife will hit 65 in two years but we won't be moving to Thailand until four years or so later.