Woman Robbed Of Bt200,000 In Bank's Toilet Room

george

Woman robbed of Bt200,000 in bank's toilet room

BANGKOK: -- An armed robber Monday forced a businesswoman to hand him Bt200,000 cash at gunpoint inside the toilet of a Bangkok Bank branch.

Aimorn Jindasombatjaroen, 50, said she was going down to the bank's parking area when the robber grabbed her by the neck.

"He showed me his gun and forced me into the toilet. He then took away my cash," the businesswoman said.

She said she just withdrew the cash from the bank on Lat Phrao Road.

-- The Nation 2008-04-28

I have long been surprised at the number of people, often individual women, who either take in or take out in open view to all at the teller windows, very large sums of cash in and out of Thai banks.

i ask them to put it into an envelope, but still the cashiers seem oblivious to the reason why i am asking, and fill up the envelope in full view of everyone. Seems people all trust each other in the bank, and many of the guys taking cash out or depositing are messengers, as most people don't want to wait for a long time in the queue. Quite different to the way it's done elsewhere. Banks should trains employees to be discreit and hid large cash withdrawels from public eyes.

i ask them to put it into an envelope, but still the cashiers seem oblivious to the reason why i am asking, and fill up the envelope in full view of everyone. Seems people all trust each other in the bank, and many of the guys taking cash out or depositing are messengers, as most people don't want to wait for a long time in the queue. Quite different to the way it's done elsewhere. Banks should trains employees to be discreit and hid large cash withdrawels from public eyes.

This is correct. My missus occasionally has to go withdraw or deposit large cash sums for her company, and gets nervous about it... Most of the time her company don't even see a need to send someone to assist, or accompany her even. :o Seems crazy to me...

Unfortunately the only checks you get are 'bounced' .... therefore we are in a cash society !

Where was the security at the bank ? ... they normally hang around inside (air conditionned!) and outside in the parking lot ...

Perhaps they should accompany to their car the clients that withdraw large amount .

Years of traveling and living in big cities like New York, Los Angeles, Honolulu, Tokyo, Taipei etc, had taught me to be very alert of your surroundings. I had developed a habit of being extra watchful and careful when dealing with large amount of cash.

Recalling the time when I visiting Chieng Mai for business purpose, my lady friend took me to the Bangkok Bank on Thanon Chang klan (Chang klan Road ?). When we pulled into a parking lot on the ground floor, there were few customers coming in or leaving, plus there was a security guy sitting and chatting with another person, after scounting the area, I felt quite safe.

So we took the elevator up one flight to the lobby.

After got all our cash, we took the elevator down, heading to the our car which was parked in the farest lane. Upon seeing not a single soul in the parking lot (where was everybody ?), I took the stair and ran up to the lobby, no time to wait for the lift, leaving my friend standing there trying to figure out why I behaved such oddly :D . She understood perfectly after I explained. :D

You might call it it's a case of paranoid, but I call it - play it safe, better safe than sorry. I had learned most of my friends or people I know at one time got robbed of cash or jewely. :o I don't want to be in that statistics :D .

Unfortunately the only checks you get are 'bounced' .... therefore we are in a cash society !

Where was the security at the bank ? ... they normally hang around inside (air conditionned!) and outside in the parking lot ...

Perhaps they should accompany to their car the clients that withdraw large amount .

Ok. She gets in the car and is then followed, forced into a fender bender wherein she is either shot or robbed. What's the diff? Unwise to go alone to get large amounts of cash methinks.

Ok. She gets in the car and is then followed, forced into a fender bender wherein she is either shot or robbed. What's the diff? Unwise to go alone to get large amounts of cash methinks.

In our company we send 2 or more people to the bank when large sums are being moved. In my opinion it is rather unfair, & negligent to ask an employee to move large sums money without any regard of their safety.

Considering the amount of cash flowing around, these kinds of incidents really are extremely rare. And it's hardly any kind of flaunting, it's just that often cash is the only option here for the hundreds of thousands of businesses who want to avoid the tax radar. Otherwise, cashiers checks are indeed the norm for most major/capital purchases (property, homes, automobiles, etc.).

:o

Considering the amount of cash flowing around, these kinds of incidents really are extremely rare. And it's hardly any kind of flaunting, it's just that often cash is the only option here for the hundreds of thousands of businesses who want to avoid the tax radar. Otherwise, cashiers checks are indeed the norm for most major/capital purchases (property, homes, automobiles, etc.).

Is that the reason? Tax evasion? Whatever the reason I really hate carrying a large amount of cash around for that very reason. In a similar note, I also don't like how the ATM flashes up the balance while asking if I want a receipt. So the guy standing behind you now knows how much money you have in the account. For the average Thai with 500 - 2,000 baht balance, not a big deal. Not for others though.

Is that the reason? Tax evasion? Whatever the reason I really hate carrying a large amount of cash around for that very reason. In a similar note, I also don't like how the ATM flashes up the balance while asking if I want a receipt. So the guy standing behind you now knows how much money you have in the account. For the average Thai with 500 - 2,000 baht balance, not a big deal. Not for others though.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons, and that's probably one of them. Many people also just prefer cash (you can't bounce cash, and there's no clearing time). I don't really care for the ATM balance thing myself either, but most folks here with higher balances don't have the bulk of their funds in plain jane savings accounts either, so it's not really a big deal. I know when I see/sense someone looking over my shoulder I just turn around and look them off or ask them playfully "you know this isn't a TV screen?"

:D

Edited by Heng

It's new as of this year as most know, and at first they used something like an 18-20 pt. font and have since made it smaller.

I bet they'll eventually get rid of it.