Longstanding Ilr

My wife got her ILR back in 2000, before the English Language tests, and the Life in the UK tests.

However, we've never applied for the UK passport as at the moment, she only lives in the UK in the summer, so hasn't spent enough days in any 3 years since getting ILR to actually apply for a UK passport. (She's never been out of the country for 2 full years, so the ILR has never lapsed).

However, we're thinking of moving back to the UK pretty much full time, primarily for the sake of the kids. Once 3 years in the UK pass, she'll be eligible to apply for a passport.

However...

What tests will she have to prove she's passed for the passport application? (When she got her ILR, there were no tests before being issued with a UK passport, not even the language test).

Will she have to sit a language test? or can she simply do a course, and passing the course counts?

Will she need to do the life in the UK test, or is that just for ILR, and not needed since she already has that?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Probably the ESOL course with Citizenship then. (wonder how much that will set me back?... I'm sure the UK government just introduces this stuff as a way to squeeze yet more money out of people).

My wife is about to start an ESOL course, if she gets to level 3 then she doesn't need to do the life in the UK test and will get her ILR visa.

Forgot to add, course is £85 but if you are on certain benefits then it is free.