Chinese Visa For Westerner Nearly Impossible

toptuan

I remember somewhere that on some application notes for Uk visitor visas that Chinese citizens should expect to wait longer than other nationalities as it was likely that their applications would be referred to the UK for an assessment and decision to be made their rather than the local embassy. Wonder why this is?

I'm sorry -maybe it's me- but I can't follow your statement and question ?

LaoPo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not like to stay there or visit anyway.

Some day the Western World will realize the truth behind the big Chinese illusion. Until they open their markets to the world, they will have control over the world's markets.

Stupid.

In May, My girlfriend and I were going to take a short 4 day vacation… Our options were completely open and we talked about Maldives, China, Indonesia, Laos… etc

China was clinching it until I read this thread… It's now off the list.

We are now planning to head off to India to see the sights around Delhi and Agra… and enjoy our time there without having to perform back flips for a visa.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention…

China does not want individual tourists, it wants "group tours" where the visas are applied for in the tourists home country.

Then they can be controlled to what they can see, stay and areas to visit.

Last year I was returning to Australia from Hongkong and there where a group tour of Chinese tourists on the aircraft and in charge was a "tour leader" who handled all the formalities and held the passports of every individual, they control their citizens while out of the country.

China does not want individual tourists, it wants "group tours" where the visas are applied for in the tourists home country.

Last year I was returning to Australia from Hongkong and there where a group tour of Chinese tourists on the aircraft and in charge was a "tour leader" who handled all the formalities and held the passports of every individual, they control their citizens while out of the country.

Outbound Chinese group tours, yes. Because Chinese don't speak any other language than their own dialect; most of them. They feel more comfortable within a group; also the price is quite cheap.

Individual tourism to China is no problem but with the Olympics coming up the government is scared to death for terrorism and individual protesters with all those foreign journalists and film/tv crew around.

That's why they have strict rules now which is very uncomfortable for not just tourists but business people (HK/Singapore for instance) as well. It will soon change after the Olympics.

LaoPo

Koreans travel in the same manner, and American tour groups on their see 17 European countries in 10 days trips.

Some day the Western World will realize the truth behind the big Chinese illusion. Until they open their markets to the world, they will have control over the world's markets.

Woohoo!

:o

Did anyone notice the large number of Red Chinese flags being waved in Canberra when the Olympic torch arrived?

No Australian flags. This should be regarded as an insult to the Australian people. But of course not we have a pro Chinese

Mandarin speaking Prime Minister. We are bending too far to please the communist Chinese government.

... my friends couldn't even get past the guard on the gate at the Chinese consulate in Chiang Mai :o

At the embassy in Bangkok, you can get past the guard without having to show these documents, but you might lose your life in the cattle stampede that follows the unlocking of the ground floor exterior door at opening time (9 a.m.)

As soon as the guard unlocks the entrance door, a crowd of 50 or so people who have been waiting stampede through the door, and rush up a narrow flight of stairs (we are talking full-bore running, here, not just a fast walk) to the second floor visa section. Plan on getting elbowed in the ribs a few times and possibly getting trampled (make sure your insurance is paid up).

A very unprofessional and even hazardous arrangement for prospective visitors to China, starting at their embassy. Wonder if this is how crowds are "handled" at your hoped-for destination?

Leaves a bad taste in your mouth right from the start of the process. :D

hmm. not intending to visit China within the next weeks...BUT...i wonder....never ever had a problem applying for visa (China embassy Bangkok) in the past. Do we talk about an AMERICAN isuue here? Or a general western problem? As mentioned from a fellow swedish citizen here....is this problem an AMERICAN problem or a general problem? Just askin....

I worked in China between 1981 and 1988, it was as difficult to get things done on my last day there as it was on my first day. I recently supervised a Chinese contractor for a Vietnamese client and gave the Chinese kudos for hard work, honesty and integrity which is more than could be said for my Vietnamese client.

However, I think it all went pear-shaped in 1994 when Clinton first awarded China 'most-favored nation' status. I recall thinking, 'What the...? How can you offer MFN to a country that doesn't care to wipe it's own arse?'

When did you last apply? Currently only single-entry, one-month visas are available worldwide.

Are you sure, my cousin is visiting me from Washington DC and she has a double entry tourist visa for China stamped in her passport. She got is last week.

Edited by pampal

... my friends couldn't even get past the guard on the gate at the Chinese consulate in Chiang Mai :o

At the embassy in Bangkok, you can get past the guard without having to show these documents, but you might lose your life in the cattle stampede that follows the unlocking of the ground floor exterior door at opening time (9 a.m.)

As soon as the guard unlocks the entrance door, a crowd of 50 or so people who have been waiting stampede through the door, and rush up a narrow flight of stairs (we are talking full-bore running, here, not just a fast walk) to the second floor visa section. Plan on getting elbowed in the ribs a few times and possibly getting trampled (make sure your insurance is paid up).

A very unprofessional and even hazardous arrangement for prospective visitors to China, starting at their embassy. Wonder if this is how crowds are "handled" at your hoped-for destination?

Leaves a bad taste in your mouth right from the start of the process. :D

Try using a travel agent then. I've been quoted 2,000 baht for a 1,200 baht visa and as I'm in Pattaya it's certainly worth the extra cost to avoid the hassle.

[quote name='toptuan' post='1961088'

Try using a travel agent then. I've been quoted 2,000 baht for a 1,200 baht visa and as I'm in Pattaya it's certainly worth the extra cost to avoid the hassle.

Good advice. I think it was travel agents who trampled me. Worth the 800 baht to stay out of the line of fire.

Edited by toptuan

[quote name=toptuan' post='1961088'

Good advice. I think it was travel agents who trampled me. Worth the 800 baht to stay out of the line of fire.

Agree; I wrote so before:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1955765

LaoPo

Some old and some new information in this article.

Visa policy changed ahead of Olympics

From correspondents in Beijing

May 06, 2008 10:15pm

CHINA has admitted for the first time that it has introduced more stringent visa requirements to ensure a "safe environment", only months before Beijing is to host the 2008 Olympic Games.

"We have made some arrangements according to usual international practice. That is, in the approval process we are more strict and more serious with the procedure," foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang said.

"The purpose is to make sure that we will have a safe environment."

The foreign ministry had previously refused to confirm the visa policy had changed despite repeated complaints largely from the business community that the stricter requirements were inconvenient, time-consuming and costly.

Australia's Foreign Minister Stephen Smith told reporters today in Hong Kong he understood why China was making the apparent visa changes but said it must be aware of the pitfalls.

"It is important that the Chinese authorities understand the potential practical, on-the-ground difficulties that this is causing," Mr Smith said.

"Australia has had recently an Olympics as well, with the Sydney Olympics, so we understand the general public policy motivation.

"We do want to make sure that there are no long-term adverse repercussions for trade and business and industry exchange between Hong Kong and China, and between other nation states and China."

According to Hong Kong travel agents, China stopped issuing multiple-entry visas and now insists on both hotel and transport receipts before they will grant permission for business travellers or tourists to enter the country.

The new regulations began at the start of April and were set to continue until October, after the summer Olympics close, they said.

"It is not true that all the multiple-entry visas have been suspended ... compared to other countries, our visa system is more convenient," Qin said.

"What is unchanged and will not change is safeguarding our national security and making sure our environment is safe and making sure foreigners in China will be safe."

According to the travel agents, visitors from 33 countries - including India, the Philippines and Indonesia - are also no longer allowed to apply for China visas in Hong Kong and have to apply at their local Chinese embassies.

The move has sparked concern among business leaders, who said it could damage investment in China.

Several nations, including Britain and Australia, have urged Beijing to clarify the change in policy.

Many businesses use Hong Kong as a base for their operations in mainland China and regularly hop over the border to monitor factories or shipments.

China has insisted multi-entry visas are available but said in a statement that officials would "consider the real need of the applicant" when granting one.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

Edited by Farma

Throw the World's Largest Party.

Build lots of expensive Stadia for a 1-month Event.

Then effectively ban foreign visitors.

You've simply got to admire their business-model ! :o:D

There's a saying "Dont like it, ignore it."

They're big, they're rich, so they can do so.

What problem do you have there? :D

Throw the World's Largest Party.

Build lots of expensive Stadia for a 1-month Event.

Then effectively ban foreign visitors.

You've simply got to admire their business-model ! :D:D

There's a saying "Dont like it, ignore it."

They're big, they're rich, so they can do so.

What problem do you have there? :D

No problem. Just admiration ! I wasn't planning to go anyway. :o

The Chinese embassy in Bangkok has always been very strict. I was told to get a new passport as I had a Taiwanese entry stamp from 2 years back. This was when I applied for a business visa last year after I was offered a teaching position near Beijing.

I then used an agent to organize my visa while in Hong Kong and he got me a multiple entry business visa without any papers. Just my passport, photo and the application form.

These new visa requirements might kill my travel plans to China later this month. I purchased my ticket to China (on AirAsia) a couple of months ago, but was waiting until this week to get my visa. I travelled to China four times in the past year, but my six month multi-entry visa expired in January. I've never made hotel reservations in China ahead of time before, so now I'm going to have to scramble to satisfy the new paperwork rules. If I can't get a visa, then I'll just eat the cost of the ticket and go somewhere else.

Anybody know of a travel/visa agent in Bangkok that can get through the Chinese red tape?

-Jeff

Edited by JGA

• 2 weeks later...

The best place to get China visas is in Hong Kong. I've lived in China previously and the only problem I faced in Hong Kong was once they gave me a double entry visa instead of a multi entry tourist visa.

I was never asked for any hotel or flight information. It was actually quite simple -- just pay the fee and give them the photographs and you're all set.

From what I heard, even in Hong Kong now it's very difficult to get visas if you're white. Some have been turned down for no reason while others have been given ridiculous requirements to fulfill. It's not an American issue. I've heard that for the French it was much more difficult.

I'm not even sure if there's a concrete policy in place now. One friend was told he had to apply in his home country and another was allowed to apply conditional he fulfilled all the requirements (including tickets, hotel info, etc.)

They're afraid of protests at the Olympics and they're trying to screen out the "undesirables".

Apart from some of the historical and art offerings and making money on business deals with China I could not think of one good reason to go there. Why go to a place that does not want you and treats you so rudely. I love going to almost anywhere in Europe/Mediteranean or even Australia. Compared to the afformentioned China sucks.