Driving in thailand

simon43

Tongue-in-cheek because I'm sure there is a Thailand highway code..but my reading of Thai is still too lousy to understand it:)

Over the past week or so I have been driving in and around BKK without problems.  Driving generally seems to be a bit of 'give and take'.  But I would like to know if there are any specific rules I must obey to avoid the long (short?) arm of the law.

For example:

- On a roundabout, who has right-of-way?  Is it th car on the roundabout (as in the UK), or is it the car entering the roundabout (as on some French/Belgian roundabouts)?

- At traffic lights, can you turn left on a red light? (Seems to be ok on minor roads...)

Just a note that I have not seen one single farang driving in BKK all week!!  Is it really that unusual or is my eyesight really that bad!!!

Hi Simon,

I asked my insurance agent the same questions, here are his replies.

"On a roundabout, who has right-of-way?  "

Same as in UK. Priority from the right.

"At traffic lights, can you turn left on a red light? "

Depends.

There is a little sign on the left post which is in Thai.

Either says 'go anytime'  or  'wait for the green'

Simon, as someone who has a Thai driving licence and has sat the driving test, I can assure you there is indeed a booklet with all the rules listed. Here are some of the rules:

Page 1

Making an illegal U-turn --

Rule: Don't get caught.

Page 2

Driving the wrong way down a one-way street --

Rule: Don't get caught.

Page 3

Stopping at a red light --

Rule: Keep going, but don't get caught.

I think you get the drift.

Sorry mate, but it's bloody hard trying to keep a straight face in this country sometimes. For example, you can tuck a few red ones into your driver's licence folder for the inevitable, but some honest cops (there are indeed some) who've had the audacity to hand the folder back to me with the instruction to take the money out and put it away. In farangland you'd be nicked for trying to bribe a cop. Ahh, Thailand. Don't you just love it!

Cheers.

I thought it was "If you've got more wheels you have right of way!"

you can tuck a few red ones into your driver's licence folder for the inevitable, but some honest cops (there are indeed some) who've had the audacity to hand the folder back to me with the instruction to take the money out and put it away

Dexlowe, probably wanted some purple or white ones instead! :o

If you are used to driving in the UK, someone flashing their lights at you in TL means GET OUT THE WAY (in the UK it means "you can go in front of me"). Takes a little getting used to, and I always think twice when someone flashes their lights at me.

Drive defensivly; you don't want to have a crash, and use your horn liberally (especially if passing a Buddhist image).

Every major junction has a police box on it; make sure you don't get caught by the police doing something naughty like jumping lights.

Look out for the motorcyclists at night who don't bother to fit a new bulb on their back light; its easy to accidently run them over.

If you get stopped by the police don't speak Thai; act dumb. If you are too hard to communicate with they will probably wave you on.

Driving in the right hand lane of dual carriageways seems to be a favourite reason to get stopped by the police at the moment. Maybe you can leave your right flasher on, and duck in left when you see any cops.

On a roundabout, who has right-of-way?
From the Phuket Gazette www.phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=535 (if the page does not appear click the reload button)

“The rules in Thailand are the same as in your country: vehicles traveling around a roundabout have right of way over vehicles entering it.

The fine for breaking this rule is 300 baht. Your license will be confiscated until you have paid the fine.

But it’s difficult for us to check who breaks this rule except when there is an accident. ”

Thursday, June 12, 2003

Pol Maj Jirasak Siemsak, Inspector of Traffic Police, Phuket Town Police Station.

- At traffic lights, can you turn left on a red light? (Seems to be ok on minor roads...)

Where you can turn left, there is a panel (blu with an arrow written in thai) "liau saai pan taloot" i.e. "who turns left can always pass".

Is that the left hand lane or the right hand lane?

The lane closest to the center divider is for passing only outside the cities.

The lane closest to the center divider is for passing only outside the cities.

I don't think you detected my sarcasm. It could be that you've never driven in Issarn. My question was: if you are driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway, do you use the left hand or right hand lane?

:o

I don't think you detected my sarcasm.

Your right.   :o

You use the sholders of course.

But travel on both sholders against the traffic is not confined to Issarn.  Or do they have a designated lane up there?