Chiang Mai To Mae Sai On A Small Bike

RICHFROMOZ

Since you are talking about one of the most reliable bikes ever made, the simple answer would obviously be yes. There are more prudent questions that come to mind though. There are others that have made that same journey.Perhaps they would shed light on the pros and cons.Sorry about lack of advice.

Edited by bunta71

Since you are talking about one of the most reliable bikes ever made, the simple answer would obviously be yes. There are more prudent questions that come to mind though. There are others that have made that same journey.Perhaps they would shed light on the pros and cons.Sorry about lack of advice.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Rich

Honda Dream 100, 110, or 125? In good condition and power? Tires ready for wet, muddy roads in the rainy season? Do you weigh less than 75 kilos, including baggage? Do you know how to ride long distances in northern Thailand? If all the answers are yes, then you can do it in one very long day, or two half days. But some of those inclines are steep.

Sure you can! Just like the Little Engine That Could!

Many of us have done this ride on small bikes.

A few words of wisdom-

Gas up when you get to 1/2 tank

Stay to shoulder side of road

Hydrate with water frequently

Watch rear traffic (faster than a Dream) in your mirrors constantly

Oh, and the most important....wear proper protective gear for a road trip. Helmet, jacket, jeans, gloves, etc. This isn't a jaunt around the moat, you know I'm sure.

Have a good trip and be safe- "Keep the shiny side up" :o

its a good wee mission. careful where you park in mae sai. you know you can almost make it a loop trip if you get the maps out - mae rim on the way out and past doi saket on the way back. chiang rai of course makes a good stop either way. you might need to buy some of those stretchy elastic things so all your DVDs dont fall out on the way home

Hi There, have to go to Mae Sai soon for a visa run. Has anyone done it before on a small bike, such as a Honda Dream etc. Can it be done? Would appreciate some advice etc. Thanks very much

Rich

I went to Mae Sai recently , but not on a bike. For your information the road has been dug up and stripped to the solid earth below from just about the hot springs towards Mae Kachan for about 12kms. It would be passable but messy. Especially now that the rains have come.

I did it many times but it's quite exhausting.

If you have time, take the old road (Mae Rim - Fang) and spend the night in Tha-Ton. Nice guesthouses by the river.

I am superstitious about that road, having killed the dog in the road. His Karma might be ready to eat my dogma.

Was wondering about the same thing myself... seems like it would be a fun 'adventure', instead of the usual boring visa run. But perhaps not good on a small bike...? It sounds a bit dangerous!

Maybe better with a bigger bike... or,

What about renting a car?

What are the usual rates for car rental? Can't be much more than a bike, no?

And, probably more comfortable.

Though not sure if you get insurance when renting a car... wouldn't wanna be stung with a 100,000 B bill if you pranged it!

Does anyone know rates?

Factoring in the rental cost, and petrol, how would that compare with the bus...? Am sure I've seen a bus run advertised for 600 B.

That might be the way to go.

For your information the road has been dug up and stripped to the solid earth below from just about the hot springs towards Mae Kachan for about 12kms. It would be passable but messy. Especially now that the rains have come.

Actually it's better when it rains: there's no dust.

Factoring in the rental cost, and petrol, how would that compare with the bus...? Am sure I've seen a bus run advertised for 600 B

car rental: around THB1000. Not sure (I haven't rented a car for years). By the way, don't rent a Suzuki Caraibean (or whatever the name). It sucks.

petrol: THB1000 or more (between 2 and 2.5 Baht/Km depending on car, speed, etc.)

Edited by adjan jb

Was wondering about the same thing myself... seems like it would be a fun 'adventure', instead of the usual boring visa run. But perhaps not good on a small bike...? It sounds a bit dangerous!

Maybe better with a bigger bike... or,

What about renting a car?

What are the usual rates for car rental? Can't be much more than a bike, no?

And, probably more comfortable.

Though not sure if you get insurance when renting a car... wouldn't wanna be stung with a 100,000 B bill if you pranged it!

Does anyone know rates?

Factoring in the rental cost, and petrol, how would that compare with the bus...? Am sure I've seen a bus run advertised for 600 B.

That might be the way to go.

Why don't you start another thread on car rental in Chiang Mai?

Or maybe you could check one of the many already on the Chiang Mai Forum including the one directly below this thread (as I am typing). Click this to see it.

I own a Honda DReam Duck Tail 100cc .

I had done Mae sai more then 3-4 time .. i had also travel to maesot ..more then half a doz time .

The first trip i made ..

i travel in style and came back suffering a bad sunburn ..

all i went off is a pair sunglass .

whahahhahahahah

came back like a panda .

SO .. protect youself ..

Wear Mask .. and glove .

if you can apply sun block cream ..

also your biggest problem would not be traffic .

it would be INSECT ..

going at 70 km any bug that hit you can really hurt .

i crash head on with a Butterfly at 90 km .. when i do a downhill ..

my face bruise for a few days .

- there is once i was riding at only about 70km .. a flying grasshopper hit my chest -- BOY that HURT !!!!!!

--- so the answer is With easy ..

Top up as offen as you can .. break it up into every 80km or 100km to do your top up ..

You can also visit chang sean .. and chang kong ..

i also done the golden triangle which allow you to skip the check point near chang rai ..

=---------

When you head back .. DO not TURN RIGHT even when the street sign say CHIANGMAI ..

HEAD for CHANGRAI ...

i did the RIght turn before i reach chiangmai -- and is a Alonely mountian ROad ..lucky my fuel did not run out ..

IF you do take the RIGHT turn befor eyou Reach chiang rai ..

Top up FULL TANK ... on the first Pump You see

Good Luck .. and ride safely ..:o

if you do have any question .. JUst PM me ..

you can get Fuel on Beer bottle in small town .. but the cost alot more .

check your HEadlight ..

Oh .. one last point .. I Change my Engine oil once i reach Mea sai . --

i change my engine oil every 500 km .since is so cheap 85 bath - 100 baht

I own a Honda DReam Duck Tail 100cc .

I had done Mae sai more then 3-4 time .. i had also travel to maesot ..more then half a doz time .

The first trip i made ..

i travel in style and came back suffering a bad sunburn ..

all i went off is a pair sunglass .

whahahhahahahah

came back like a panda .

SO .. protect youself ..

Wear Mask .. and glove .

if you can apply sun block cream ..

Only sunnies Tat-too-two? Crikey mate, that would have been a sight. I've done a few things in public over the years in the nud_e but riding a motorbike is not one of them. I'll bet your willie got a dose of sunburn too.

This is a pic of one of my nud_e antics a few years ago. I'm the one with the black and yellow rig - the only one thick enough not to wear shoes. The high speed wind blasting between the legs was an interesting experience too.

post-24617-1209579966_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blinky Bill

Tak about the silly thing we do to proof us more human :o whahaha

i suffer a 10 days sunburn .. and got to go out at night so i don't scare the kids away whahhahah a,...

but if i choose i would do it again :D

i say " JUST DO IT "

This is a pic of one of my nud_e antics a few years ago. I'm the one with the black and yellow rig - the only one thick enough not to wear shoes. The high speed wind blasting between the legs was an interesting experience too.

Just have to say it...... lead in's like this don't come along too often

Hey Blinkers, think about it, you guys jumping, ...... over "HANG DONG" :o:D

The bike will make it mechanically. The problem is that you'll be driving in Thailand on mountain roads where the local pickup drivers seem to take every blind corner and every blind crest as an invitation to overtake. Sometimes to overtake a car that is overtaking a truck! Coming round a blind corner to see three cars abreast barelling towards you is one of the joys of mountain driving in Thailand.

Be prepared to have to swerve off into the dirt by the side of the road a few times.

I've done it once, go and back in one day, on a big bike. It is do-able, but my butt was definitely NOT happy. Needed to stop every 15 minutes during the last 100 km to stretch the legs and give the butt a break.

Maybe better to do the trip in two or more days. And as all the other posters already said, take all safety measurements very serious. You may ride/drive very well, but many others don't.

Nienke

Just have to say it...... lead in's like this don't come along too often

Hey Blinkers, think about it, you guys jumping, ...... over "HANG DONG" :o:D

There was nothing hanging in the wind blast Gonzo. More like high frequency flapping.

Come on, Weebie's! :D

People cross entire continents on 125cc dirt bikes.

Mae Sai is barely a grind on a bicycle and I am sure that many have done it.

Big bike, small bike - the only difference is available power and speed. The question is, are you up to this?

I would take a ride to Mai Sai over a grinding full day in CM traffic any day!

As for people passing on blind corners, you actually have an advantage on a bike as you take up less than a meter of space. In many circumstances that would be a certain accident in a car, a bike can often squeeze through.

The only thing that disturbs me in this thread is the photo of three naked men holding hands... :o:D :D:

Hi There, have to go to Mae Sai soon for a visa run. Has anyone done it before on a small bike, such as a Honda Dream etc. Can it be done? Would appreciate some advice etc. Thanks very much

Rich

I went recently in the rain, I had a wet dream, which was nice...

Rich

I went recently in the rain, I had a wet dream, which was nice...

Don't make any waves :o

Better to wait a few days until these predicted rains pass....or wear a wet suit [full body condom]

Don't wait, go! And without rain gear would be my advice. Over the many years of biking here, I was in a lot of rain, but it never bothered me. Unlike home, the rain here is warm, not cold, and it rarely last more than a few minutes. And during the rain, you can stop in one of the sala's set up along the road, where you can meet some nice people! :D

And don't forget Charin Resort at Km.141 marker. Some GREAT Farang desserts :o

My main concern would be forecasted winds that could include gusts of 100-kph sidewinds in the mountain passes. Also, some folks do not enjoy being soaked to the bone when they ride long distances. I have done it with rainsuits, but it is no fun even in 22-degree C weather.

When the weather folks issue small craft warnings, that includes small motorcycles.

My main concern would be forecasted winds that could include gusts of 100-kph sidewinds in the mountain passes. Also, some folks do not enjoy being soaked to the bone when they ride long distances. I have done it with rainsuits, but it is no fun even in 22-degree C weather.

When the weather folks issue small craft warnings, that includes small motorcycles.

But you are just an old fart :o

And 100kph sidewinds in the mountain passes ? What country?

Edited by Ajarn