Spring Rolls

dee123

..I help my wife sometimes in her catering business, and she gives me the job of deep frying the spring rolls,.....I start with the fryer immaculately clean,but it isn't long before little brown specs start appearing, my wife told me to try turning down the heat a little,or letting the spring rolls defrost for some time,but there still seems to be this problem no matter what fryer I use.Could it be something to do with the pepper added?......any advice much appreciated,.....the first couple of "fry's" are ok and the spring rolls look fantasic how can I keep them looking like that all day?

Edited by dee123

The brown specks are caused by flour granules that fall off the spring roll wrapper and get overcooked when left in the fryer. These will eventually break down your frying oil, and shorten its useful life. I would recommend that you filter your oil after every third batch of spring rolls. Here is a link on deep frying. On page four, it explains how to run your cooking oil throgh a large paper coffee filter.

Deep Frying PDF

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem. I started using a stainless strainer that I place the spring rolls in when I deep fry them. When the rolls are done lift up the strainer empty the rolls on a pice of paper. Turn the strainer upside down and pound it once or twice against the kitchen sink. Add new spring rolls and so on...This way the granules from the last batch never get in contact with the spring rolls.