Candle Festival

WujouMao

last year when i was in Thailand, i visited Ubon Ratchathani and picked up a booklet about the candle festival which is held in july. as i'm not buddhist, i havent got a clue when the lunar event is held. all i know is its for a month and during that time the festival is held on Asanha Puja Day.

i'd like to arrive a few days before the event and as the guide sujests, visit some of the villages where the candles are being made and at least look like i'm interrested.

could anyone give me a fortnight time frame for me to be in Thailand with the correct dates for the candle festival. i have aready emailed the TAT office in Ubon Ratchan' but that was 2 weeks ago and still no reply

ta very much

You need to book accommodation early. :D

All major hotels will be filled up quickly, and the price for room will be double the normal rate, or at least + 50%. :o

Edited by bergen

Probably the best festival that I have been to during my time in Thailand and seems to be getting bigger each year.

Enjoy

In deed it is spectacular, and last year in addition 10 to 15 foreign artists who where invited to make alternative candle sculptures, held a great exhibition in the park outside the National Museum! :o

16/17/18 July for the festival.

Oi! the one time i'll be in SE Asia in the summer and they have to schedule it during the middle of the week! :o This is the Asanha Puja holiday right? I'll be in phnom penh during the summer, do you think cambodia will have a holiday too? maybe i can drive up to Ubon for it

thanks for the fast reply guys. i thought i could rely on TAT but i guess not

Probably the best festival that I have been to during my time in Thailand and seems to be getting bigger each year.

Enjoy

i thought the rocket festival was pukka which i saw for the 1st time last year. still, would of been nice if the sky wasnt so cloudy

• 4 months later...
You need to book accommodation early. :D

All major hotels will be filled up quickly, and the price for room will be double the normal rate, or at least + 50%. :o

i arrived into Ubon at 10pm and found just one hotel with room for 15th and 16th. as for 17 and 18th, all were fully booked, as were the other hotels around Ubon. i really didnt fancy going and staying in another town and traveling to and from ubon each day. but i see what you mean about it being busy. thankfully i rented some Thai flats for 2 days at double the normal price. anything beats that than having to leave and catch the last bus back to Sisaket etc