Police Checkpoint Threads--should We, Shouldn't We

Police checkpoint thread  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From the complaints from the last two police checkpoint threads

1.there shouldn't be any threads about police checkpoints--someone felt it encouraged illegal behavior

2. there shouldn't be a thread about every police checkpoint --someone didn't see the point as they are a daily occurrence

and 3. why isn't there a thread allowed about each checkpoint

You guys choose. Is this important information for you?

I think this is a good idea, a pinned thread is something I would check on a regular basis.

I narrowly avoided a speeding fine on the Bangna-Trat 2nd upper level express way after a friend called me to warn me (we were both on the way to the golf course and he was a few Km's ahead of me).

It seems to me that many of the locations such as speed traps etc (for cars in particular) are at fixed locations. It would be interesting to learn of other areas where I should be extra vigilant and not let my speed creep up.

Unfortunately the police love to hammer the motorbikes and I see those check points all over the place - keeping track of those check points might be a little more tricky.

Edit: I didn't notice this in the Samui, Phangan, kho Tao forum until now - I think a pinned thread would be a good idea for Bangkok also....

Edited by richard_smith237

Why do you think so? Do you have some information that would lead you to that opinion? If so, please share and we can close this poll immediately with the knowledge that it is illegal.

I remember somebody – I believe a farang lawyer – writing that in Thailand everything that is not explicitly permitted by law is forbidden. I believe he wrote that sarcastically and anyway I do not subscribe to that opinion.

If the publication of the location of police checkpoints were forbidden, it would be part of a law or of a ministerial regulation based on a law, and therefore it would have been published in the Royal Gazette.

Until one of the legal eagles or any other member on this forum can cite the section and paragraph of a law forbidding it I consider it safe to discuss it here.

--

Maestro

I remember somebody – I believe a farang lawyer – writing that in Thailand everything that is not explicitly permitted by law is forbidden. I believe he wrote that sarcastically and anyway I do not subscribe to that opinion.

If the publication of the location of police checkpoints were forbidden, it would be part of a law or of a ministerial regulation based on a law, and therefore it would have been published in the Royal Gazette.

Until one of the legal eagles or any other member on this forum can cite the section and paragraph of a law forbidding it I consider it safe to discuss it here.

--

Maestro

royal gazette??? :o

Bermudian newspaper?

Go legal

Wear helmet, get driving license, be sober, don't carry drugs.

Why should it be a problem?

How true,but it's so difficult for some people.They push the envelope then complain.

An unpinned general "Police roadside checkpoint" thread.

Any subsequent threads opened can be merged into this common thread by a moderator (that's one of their jobs).

I hate pinning unless absolutely necessary.

We already have 10 pinned threads.

The following do not need to be pinned as the information is readily available elsewhere:

Hotels (Sawadee.com)

Classifieds (Use link in top strap of site)

Boat sched changes (This happens far too infrequently for a pin)

Recommended tradesmen (Nebulous. Unpinned threads on a need-to-post basis is better)

And if there are pins of fav restaurants in Samui and Phangan, why leave out Koh Tao?

if you've nothing to hide have the right visa .insurance,no drugs,not drunk,wearing a helmet,then whats the problem with a road check.......

this...

Because the police then just make something up to fine you for.

I think a paid sms alert service provided by police would do the job and satisfy all interested parties

Police would submit daily information about checkpoints around the country and subscribers would receive alerts for their area, at let's say a hundred Baht per month, when travelling to another province you can check local checkpoints at extra 50 Baht per day.

An unpinned general "Police roadside checkpoint" thread.

Any subsequent threads opened can be merged into this common thread by a moderator (that's one of their jobs).

I hate pinning unless absolutely necessary.

We already have 10 pinned threads.

The following do not need to be pinned as the information is readily available elsewhere:

Hotels (Sawadee.com)

Classifieds (Use link in top strap of site)

Boat sched changes (This happens far too infrequently for a pin)

Recommended tradesmen (Nebulous. Unpinned threads on a need-to-post basis is better)

And if there are pins of fav restaurants in Samui and Phangan, why leave out Koh Tao?

Well, I agree, but admin pinned quite a few of those so.... admin makes the rules, I only follow them :o

So far, pinned thread comes out way ahead of anything else.

I will give it another day, and then go with the majority.

I think a paid sms alert service provided by police would do the job and satisfy all interested parties

Police would submit daily information about checkpoints around the country and subscribers would receive alerts for their area, at let's say a hundred Baht per month, when travelling to another province you can check local checkpoints at extra 50 Baht per day.

Run the idea by admin, you never know they might take you up on it :o

From the complaints from the last two police checkpoint threads

1.there shouldn't be any threads about police checkpoints--someone felt it encouraged illegal behavior

2. there shouldn't be a thread about every police checkpoint --someone didn't see the point as they are a daily occurrence

and 3. why isn't there a thread allowed about each checkpoint

You guys choose. Is this important information for you?

Which complaints ?

The controls which are executed on the road by the police force to find drug are not used for nothing or if! It's just to make pocket money. Everybody who live here knows where to find truths dealers.

Along the trunk roads "Thong Sala - Haad Salad" conceal most important. Thai & foreigners.

I think that this masquerade should be stopped! :o

Should we allow police checkpoint threads

No threads at all [ 4 ] ** [10.00%]

A thread only if it is something significantly different [ 8 ] ** [20.00%]

A new thread for each and every checkpoint siting [ 6 ] ** [15.00%]

A pinned thread for those who wish to add sitings [ 16 ] ** [40.00%]

An unpinned thread for those who wish to add sitings [ 5 ] ** [12.50%]

Other--please list below [ 1 ] ** [2.50%]

Pinned thread wins significantly, so I will create a pinned topic now, please post your police checkpoint sitings and experiences here

Pinned thread wins significantly, so I will create a pinned topic now, please post your police checkpoint sitings and experiences here

Bbbbbbbbbbbbb....braeking the law, breaking the law.....

And no, its not up to me to send you links. To qualify as a moderator it is actually up to you to check if what you do is legal or not. (btw, its not!!!).

Try to get away with "i did not know so until anybody tell me i did not do anything wrong".

Forum-rules: for everybody but moderationteam.

The nerve of this poster, HE'S from Hua Hin :o

Edited by SamuiJens

Bbbbbbbbbbbbb....braeking the law, breaking the law.....

And no, its not up to me to send you links. To qualify as a moderator it is actually up to you to check if what you do is legal or not. (btw, its not!!!).

Try to get away with "i did not know so until anybody tell me i did not do anything wrong".

Forum-rules: for everybody but moderationteam.

The nerve of this poster, HE'S from Hua Hin :D

Denmark originally but 12 years in Samui. Only the last year in hua hin to be exact.....

But still pretty familiar to Thai-law. And also (due to warnings) learning Thaivisa-law. Its a learning-curve though..... :o

The GPS software available for the UK includes the location of Speed Cameras. :D

I wonder why letting people know the location of police checks in Thailand should be any different?

If we know where the check points are, it encourages everyone to obey the law. :o

If you have issues with a topic then please bring it to the attention of admin, as they are the final arbiters of the rules on this forum. Be aware, however, that this particular topic was already discussed beforehand.

Given that the topic in question is now open, this poll is closed