Do You Believe That Thai People Are Generally Happier Than People In Your Home Country?

garro

Do you believe that Thai people are generally happier than people in your home country?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A simple question really; although it is often confusing when we deal in generalites.

Are people in Thailand generally happier than people in your home country?

If they are, how do you account for this?

If they aren't, why not?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

peope are happier in thailand for sure,most live in rooms ,dont feel they have to keep up with the jones,all ride the same bikes,if you're not used to the nice things in life you dont miss them ,if you meet a thai who's been to a western country there attitude changes,they see the dirt and poverty more,and want more in there life than what they've got

Don't see the point of this post. You must be very bored today.

Well you are obviously bored - if you have replied to a post you don't see the point in.

This is something that actually interests me. If people in one country are happier than in another country then it would be interesting, at least for me, to know the reason for this. Lots of research has been conducted which shows differences in people's perception of their happiness when compared to people from different countries. Of course, it is all very subjective.

The things that bug some people so much, about Thailand, might in fact be the things that make its citizens feel happier or seem happier.

Edited by garro

I'd say folks are happier here, especially the piss poor. The equivalent in the US are often (not all of course) plain miserable. IMO the main difference is that it's easier to tread water here than it is in the US. And of course I mean for locals. For foreigners who try to tread water here, it can be worse than being broke or near broke in the west.

For myself, I'd say I feel about the same level of happiness in both places... albeit with different flavors of "happy."

:o

I always find it amusing when movies show everyone what the Ghetto is like and everyone lives in houses and has TVs, cars and stereo systems. I'm sure that folks in Thailand have NO idea that they are supposed to be poor! :o

I think ignorance is bliss to a certain degree. Your average Thai has very little, if any knowledge of the outside world, and still very little knowledge of their own country. They are not really interested in politics, and as they are not being financial raped by their government they have little need to be.

Life in general just seems to be simpler for them, without all the other distractions that makes our blood boil back home.

I always find it amusing when movies show everyone what the Ghetto is like and everyone lives in houses and has TVs, cars and stereo systems. I'm sure that folks in Thailand have NO idea that they are supposed to be poor! :o

Agreed, my wife can never understand why the "poor" people in movies are all dressed so "well".

A simple question really; although it is often confusing when we deal in generalites.

Are people in Thailand generally happier than people in your home country?

If they are, how do you account for this?

If they aren't, why not?

They are less stressed about some things and more about others. 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

Buddhism has a lot to do with it.

Yes I believe that generally they are happier for a number of reasons already stated.

But then why wouldn't they be.

1. Their family network is generally far more supportive. And that's a great thing in itself. They also know that they will be taken care of from the cradle to the grave firstly by their parents and then by their own children.

2. Also, when ever they are in a dispute with a non-Thai, they will receive help and assistance from many other Thais at all levels to ensure they win the dispute regadless of whether they are in the wrong in the first place (when an alien is in the picture Thai Ruk Thai).

These two items alone would give anyone a great degree of security and contentment.

3.They know they don't have to compete for jobs with aliens, this provides job security, therefore, happiness.

4. They know they dont have to study hard because the system will pass them anyhow. Happy again.

5. They know they will almost never be sacked from their job, even if they do practically nothing meaningful all day, (possibly moved to an inactive post (like the Permant Resident section at Immigration) would be the worst that could happen to them). Therefore virtually total job security. Still happy.

6. They are often not expected to ''think too mut'' , problem solve, analyse nor think critically and offer constructive criticism. So happy its sublime.

7. They know they can never be bought out by an alien (land virtually impossible/business 51%). What confidence that must give anyone knowing you will always be the master. A life time of happiness.

8. They don't need a lot of money in Thaiand to survive. Tummy happy.

9. They can go to most other countries in the world and be afforded all the benefits and rights that they won't give an alien in Thailand.

I could go on but I think you got the picture.

I mean why wouldn't anyone be happy in this situation.

I'm not having a go at Thais .....I'm jealous in many ways. I think in many ways Thais have got it made.

I don't think there is any difference Thai people just know how to live with less and get by better.

Agree.

But most people back home seem to worry a bit more about next (or future) bills, taxes, etc.

This, might make them a bit less happy in their daily life.

Many people here seem to worry about either getting enough money, and then they make a prority out of what to buy/pay, or what gadget (new cell phone, etc) to buy this month.

I know a lot of people who claim that the long dark winters, in Ireland and the UK, is a big factor in feeling unhappy there. I went back, with my wife and son, a few months back and was surprised how gloomy the days were with only a few hours of sunshine a day.

Edited by garro

I also agree, most people don't think much so they don't worry much so they are more happy. I also saw that many Thai people are great at reframing problems. They even reframe major problems which can be a pretty bad mistake.

Anyway I admire my girlfriends ability to worry so little. I try to find a good mix between the Thai and the Western way.

Edited by freitag1

I know a lot of people who claim that the long dark winters, in Ireland and the UK, is a big factor in felling unhappy there.

Having travelled to England quite a few times, I'm sure than the short rainy summers are also a big factor.

Well you are obviously bored - if you have replied to a post you don't see the point in.

This is something that actually interests me. If people in one country are happier than in another country then it would be interesting, at least for me, to know the reason for this. Lots of research has been conducted which shows differences in people's perception of their happiness when compared to people from different countries. Of course, it is all very subjective.

The things that bug some people so much, about Thailand, might in fact be the things that make its citizens feel happier or seem happier.

Well, your first line is a bit of a childish emotional reply, trying to point out someone else's fault and there by negating your own. That appears often in these pages and seems to be an accepted tactic.

I have noticed that we often see things from a different perspective and I guess this time is no different. I don't find the topic interesting but do find the fact that the subject actually interests you, to be of some interest. I thought your religious leanings would give you a different perspective on this subject.

You see, I don't agree that there are things that can "make" you happy. Some individuals are on a never ending quest for things that will "make" them happy. Others possess a view that allows them to appreciate the complexities of life and not be controlled or buffeted about by their environment.

Reading through the responses so far, I doubt you have been overly enlightened or had your interest and curiosity satiated. That said I am sure people will be able to go on and on about this for several pages.

Well, your first line is a bit of a childish emotional reply, trying to point out someone else's fault and there by negating your own. That appears often in these pages and seems to be an accepted tactic.

I have noticed that we often see things from a different perspective and I guess this time is no different. I don't find the topic interesting but do find the fact that the subject actually interests you, to be of some interest. I thought your religious leanings would give you a different perspective on this subject.

You see, I don't agree that there are things that can "make" you happy. Some individuals are on a never ending quest for things that will "make" them happy. Others possess a view that allows them to appreciate the complexities of life and not be controlled or buffeted about by their environment.

Reading through the responses so far, I doubt you have been overly enlightened or had your interest and curiosity satiated. That said I am sure people will be able to go on and on about this for several pages.

I don't see anything childish or emotional about stating a simple fact. If somebody doesn't see the point in a thread why would they waste their time replying to it? I can only think of a few reasons, and the most charitable one is boredom. I don't know what you mean about tactics? I thought that this was a forum where I could chat and learn about Thai related issues. I didn't realise that it was somewhere that required tactics.

I haven't actually stated my perspective on this subject. I don't think that you can buy happiness, and I don't think that it is something that we should always expect to experience, but I do believe that that we can create conditions which increase the likelihood of it occurring. I think that there might be aspects within Thai culture which can create these conditions and, I'm interested in what others think.

I don't see anything childish or emotional about stating a simple fact. If somebody doesn't see the point in a thread why would they waste their time replying to it? I can only think of a few reasons, and the most charitable one is boredom. I don't know what you mean about tactics? I thought that this was a forum where I could chat and learn about Thai related issues. I didn't realise that it was somewhere that required tactics.

I haven't actually stated my perspective on this subject. I don't think that you can buy happiness, and I don't think that it is something that we should always expect to experience, but I do believe that that we can create conditions which increase the likelihood of it occurring. I think that there might be aspects within Thai culture which can create these conditions and, I'm interested in what others think.

I thought I was pretty clear and you obviously didn't "get it" so I'll just leave it at that. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Agreed, my wife can never understand why the "poor" people in movies are all dressed so "well".

because it's a movie, go to real ghettos and ppl will not be dressed as well as the movies.

Immediately upon arriving in Thailand, I, and I have no reason to doubt, everyone else, gets bombarded with a number of 'truths' about Thai culture - The Closeness and Mutually Supportive role of the Thai Family' being a fine example, there are many others.

Observation and a little critical analysis reveals many of these 'truths' to be more of a 'myth'.

Added to this is my own observation that Thais are singularly adept at denying or avoiding providing information to non Thais that does not fit the 'Truth'/'Myth'.

With this in mind I think 'perceptions' of wider Thai feelings (no matter what particularly feelings we are discussing) need to be treated with some caution.

What you are told in Thailand and what is the reality are very often not the same thing - especially when the subject is one of those cherished 'Thai Institutions' - for example the family.

Supportive yes - in many cases, but recall a few posts here on TV and the flip side of controlling parents making unreasonable demands, abuse of trust and worse are, I would argue, common place.

Happiness and its counter part unhappiness are part of the human condition - I do not see that the Thais have cracked the code to having one without the other, any more than any of the other many places I have lived.

So I say, Thais are no more and no less happy than the rest of the world - Why would they not be? - They are human.

Edited by GuestHouse

I thought I was pretty clear and you obviously didn't "get it" so I'll just leave it at that. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

I must be thick too because i haven't a clue what it is you're "getting at".

Actually, they are happier despite Buddhism.

Recent discussions in other threads have made it pretty clear that the vast majority of Thais really do not follow nor intrinsically believe in the precepts of Buddhism.

It's treated as exterior philosophy (showy merit-making, etc.) which doesn't deeply affect the heart values.

Edit: replaced "merely" with "treated as" to clarify that this is how the adherents use the philosophy, not an inherent flaw in the philosophy itself. No offense meant to the few serious practicing Buddhists. :o

Edited by toptuan

Actually, they are happier despite Buddhism.

Recent discussions in other threads have made it pretty clear that the vast majority of Thais really do not follow nor intrinsically believe in the precepts of Buddhism.

It's merely an exterior philosophy (showy merit-making, etc.) which doesn't deeply affect the heart values.

That would be another example of 'Truth' and 'Myth'.

In Phuket it is, ironically, very rare to see local people smile.

Places like Phuket, Bangkok, and Pattaya are not the real Thailand. Try any of the other 69 provinces and you would change your outlook about LOS.

I love the smiles here and relish the dozens I receive each and every day from all ages, sexes (all three), and classes of Thai folk.

Edit: added gender clarification

Edited by toptuan