Do You Believe That Thai People Are Generally Happier Than People In Your Home Country?

garro

Do you believe that Thai people are generally happier than people in your home country?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't see the point of this post. You must be very bored today.

Well you are obviously bored - if you have replied to a post you don't see the point in.

This is something that actually interests me. If people in one country are happier than in another country then it would be interesting, at least for me, to know the reason for this. Lots of research has been conducted which shows differences in people's perception of their happiness when compared to people from different countries. Of course, it is all very subjective.

The things that bug some people so much, about Thailand, might in fact be the things that make its citizens feel happier or seem happier.

Well, your first line is a bit of a childish emotional reply, trying to point out someone else's fault and there by negating your own. That appears often in these pages and seems to be an accepted tactic.

I have noticed that we often see things from a different perspective and I guess this time is no different. I don't find the topic interesting but do find the fact that the subject actually interests you, to be of some interest. I thought your religious leanings would give you a different perspective on this subject.

You see, I don't agree that there are things that can "make" you happy. Some individuals are on a never ending quest for things that will "make" them happy. Others possess a view that allows them to appreciate the complexities of life and not be controlled or buffeted about by their environment.

Reading through the responses so far, I doubt you have been overly enlightened or had your interest and curiosity satiated. That said I am sure people will be able to go on and on about this for several pages.

I don't see anything childish or emotional about stating a simple fact. If somebody doesn't see the point in a thread why would they waste their time replying to it? I can only think of a few reasons, and the most charitable one is boredom. I don't know what you mean about tactics? I thought that this was a forum where I could chat and learn about Thai related issues. I didn't realise that it was somewhere that required tactics.

I haven't actually stated my perspective on this subject. I don't think that you can buy happiness, and I don't think that it is something that we should always expect to experience, but I do believe that that we can create conditions which increase the likelihood of it occurring. I think that there might be aspects within Thai culture which can create these conditions and, I'm interested in what others think.

I thought I was pretty clear and you obviously didn't "get it" so I'll just leave it at that. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

I must be thick too because i haven't a clue what it is you're "getting at".

I suspect that part of the answer might exist in the copied posts above. A couple of farangs bickering backwards and forwards publicly about why they even bothered to post in the first place! Lesser educated, inquisitive and bored Thai's would I guess just look at it all and say, mai pen rai and move on - that kind of approach to the problems in life has got to make them happier.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Phuket it is, ironically, very rare to see local people smile.

Sorry my friend, I totally disagree with your statement. I live in Phuket and for my part I see people smile here just as readily as they do in Chiang Mai or anywhere else. Granted, if a person spends their time here exclusively in the tourist district it is easy to notice how jaded some locals are, understandably so.

Come on guys. You can't pass off an opinion as "stating a simple fact". Attacking the other person by saying "but you ........" doesn't automatically make you right. It is irrelevant. In a debating environment, like this, one can take several paths. I prefer logic and rational thought myself but others seem to prefer emotional responses and attack to try and make their point or persuade their audience.

I'm sorry for forgetting that we are not all grownups around here. I didn't expect people to get so testy on such a beautiful day. It isn't about being "thick" either. Most people just have their biases and stick to them.

Personally I think GuestHouse had one of the more reasoned responses.

Again I don't find the topic interesting but I am interested in the motivation behind posting it. I don't feel the need to seek advice or information in these pages so perhaps I don't have the proper empathy for those who do.

Sorry if there are any hurt feelings.

Well you are obviously bored - if you have replied to a post you don't see the point in.

This is something that actually interests me. If people in one country are happier than in another country then it would be interesting, at least for me, to know the reason for this. Lots of research has been conducted which shows differences in people's perception of their happiness when compared to people from different countries. Of course, it is all very subjective.

The things that bug some people so much, about Thailand, might in fact be the things that make its citizens feel happier or seem happier.

Well, your first line is a bit of a childish emotional reply, trying to point out someone else's fault and there by negating your own. That appears often in these pages and seems to be an accepted tactic.

I have noticed that we often see things from a different perspective and I guess this time is no different. I don't find the topic interesting but do find the fact that the subject actually interests you, to be of some interest. I thought your religious leanings would give you a different perspective on this subject.

You see, I don't agree that there are things that can "make" you happy. Some individuals are on a never ending quest for things that will "make" them happy. Others possess a view that allows them to appreciate the complexities of life and not be controlled or buffeted about by their environment.

Reading through the responses so far, I doubt you have been overly enlightened or had your interest and curiosity satiated. That said I am sure people will be able to go on and on about this for several pages.

I don't see anything childish or emotional about stating a simple fact. If somebody doesn't see the point in a thread why would they waste their time replying to it? I can only think of a few reasons, and the most charitable one is boredom. I don't know what you mean about tactics? I thought that this was a forum where I could chat and learn about Thai related issues. I didn't realise that it was somewhere that required tactics.

I haven't actually stated my perspective on this subject. I don't think that you can buy happiness, and I don't think that it is something that we should always expect to experience, but I do believe that that we can create conditions which increase the likelihood of it occurring. I think that there might be aspects within Thai culture which can create these conditions and, I'm interested in what others think.

I thought I was pretty clear and you obviously didn't "get it" so I'll just leave it at that. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

I suspect that part of the answer might exist in the copied posts above. A couple of farangs bickering backwards and forwards publicly about why they even bothered to post in the first place! Lesser educated, inquisitive and bored Thai's would I guess just look at it all and say, mai pen rai and move on - that kind of approach to the problems in life has got to make them happier.

Well spotted.

You got it in a nutshell. :o

There is some scientific study to support the idea that different nationalities of people are happier, although from the little reading I've done the results don't seem too conclusive.

Buddhists 'really are happier'

World Map of Happiness

It's a nice try but an impossible task to try to rank countries by the happiness factor, the margin for error must be huge. Case in point, whoever can believe that today England rates in the upper group, impossible, most seem closer to suicide than anything else.

Come on chiang mai guy, being simple minded doesn't necessarily "make" people happier. And I take umbrage to your "bickering" remark. I was simply wearing my "pompous ass" hat today. That didn't "make" me happy but I was very happy during the process and will continue being happy, even in the face of impending floods.

I agree with what your saying, but he started it :o

Thais are not nearly so attached to misery as the "farang". For Thais, disappointment and unhappiness are states best gotten rid of. For farang these states become who they are very easily.

oooh well said

Agreed, my wife can never understand why the "poor" people in movies are all dressed so "well".

because it's a movie, go to real ghettos and ppl will not be dressed as well as the movies.

My point is you see a homeless guy in Thailand you'll lucky if he's got some decent boxers on.

Whereas a homeless guy in the US would still have at least some pants and shirt.

When is the last time you saw a homeless person in your home country laying flat out in a doorway in only their boxer shorts?

And why would a "poor person" in a movie be dressed any different than a "poor person" in real life (assuming the movie is supposed to represent real life)?

Edited by dave111223

There is some scientific study to support the idea that different nationalities of people are happier, although from the little reading I've done the results don't seem too conclusive.

Buddhists 'really are happier'

World Map of Happiness

It's a nice try but an impossible task to try to rank countries by the happiness factor, the margin for error must be huge. Case in point, whoever can believe that today England rates in the upper group, impossible, most seem closer to suicide than anything else.

You've been fooled by not understanding just how much enjoyment the English get from moaning. There is no man in the world happier than an Englishman with a genuine grievance

You've been fooled by not understanding just how much enjoyment the English get from moaning. There is no man in the world happier than an Englishman with a genuine grievance

That is cute. I'm sure you are right that many people garner great happiness from misery.

when i lived in the UK i never knew another person that did not want "more" or want to be better than the house next door. No-body has enough money, food, a big enough house or car etc. etc. It is hard work for anyone striving for things they might never attain to find something to smile about.

In Thailand most locals are fully aware they have all they will ever have and unless they, (or another family member), wins the lottery, the rest of their life will be spent the same way. So they are not miserable about not having enough and concentrate on making the most of what they have.

"People are generally happier here in Thailand" I voted: YES.

2 years ago a BKK businessman told me "you Farang....you Westerners don't know HOW to enjoy life...how to relax". He was right.

However, 'relax' places are much more accessible than in the west; I'm talking foot, head and body massage to have the stress disappear, so to speak.

A lot of westerners, including myself, have to endure a lot of stress because of so many rules, taxes, laws and above all the weather. Thai people live more outdoors than Farang. It's a major advantage, being outdoors...

LaoPo

Are we getting 'happiness' confused with 'the ability to smile'? People who smile are not necessarily happy. Sure, Thai people smile a lot more than us Farangs, but does this mean they are happier than us?

It's a difference in cultures.

Difficult to generalise, but many Thais are happier in the present because they haven't grasped the notion of forward planning.

This is always something I have found very hard to understand as a major part of Buddhism is about cause and effect and I think it is a part that Westerners find it easier to grasp.

A lot of the time Thais are thinking solely for the present. For example can I borrow your motorbike .... because that solves the pressing in the moment need of transport to the market. The fact that I might need to use it in an hour and you might go and crash it so I don't have a motorbike ..etc etc etc

You only have to look at the threads on here to find many more examples - the Sin sod thread ie. satisfy the relatives now with a lump sum with no forward thinking about expectation it creates etc.

So my vote is, if you are generalising it is probably about the same. I know many happy people in the West (although they are probably not grinning about it). There are many satisfied people who are happy today and are going to be happy tomorrow.

If you are looking for happy people here , there are many, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are satisfied with life.

Happy today but who knows tomorrow.

There is of course overlap between the 2, they are not necessarily true but it is an observation. The insecurity of many Thais lives creates a certain kind of volatility.

Immediately upon arriving in Thailand, I, and I have no reason to doubt, everyone else, gets bombarded with a number of 'truths' about Thai culture - The Closeness and Mutually Supportive role of the Thai Family' being a fine example, there are many others.

Observation and a little critical analysis reveals many of these 'truths' to be more of a 'myth'.

Added to this is my own observation that Thais are singularly adept at denying or avoiding providing information to non Thais that does not fit the 'Truth'/'Myth'.

With this in mind I think 'perceptions' of wider Thai feelings (no matter what particularly feelings we are discussing) need to be treated with some caution.

What you are told in Thailand and what is the reality are very often not the same thing - especially when the subject is one of those cherished 'Thai Institutions' - for example the family.

Supportive yes - in many cases, but recall a few posts here on TV and the flip side of controlling parents making unreasonable demands, abuse of trust and worse are, I would argue, common place.

Happiness and its counter part unhappiness are part of the human condition - I do not see that the Thais have cracked the code to having one without the other, any more than any of the other many places I have lived.

So I say, Thais are no more and no less happy than the rest of the world - Why would they not be? - They are human.

Exactly what I wanted to say ... but did not have time to do so ... Good on you GH. Another good report !

And ... How anyone could assume that happiness is based on a single paramater begs belief !

Naka.

Edited by naka

2 years ago a BKK businessman told me "you Farang....you Westerners don't know HOW to enjoy life...how to relax". He was right.

However, 'relax' places are much more accessible than in the west; I'm talking foot, head and body massage to have the stress disappear, so to speak.

A lot of westerners, including myself, have to endure a lot of stress because of so many rules, taxes, laws and above all the weather. Thai people live more outdoors than Farang. It's a major advantage, being outdoors...

LaoPo

do not confuse "HOW to enjoy life.....how to relax" with laziness

if you have stress becasue of "so many rules, taxes, laws and above all the weather", it is because you have no coping skills to deal with your daily existence

by the way, how can "weather cause you stress", perhaps dressing more appropriately would help

homeless people live outdoors too, but i do not think they would consider it a "major advantage"

LaoPo

do not confuse "HOW to enjoy life.....how to relax" with laziness

if you have stress becasue of "so many rules, taxes, laws and above all the weather", it is because you have no coping skills to deal with your daily existence

by the way, how can "weather cause you stress", perhaps dressing more appropriately would help

homeless people live outdoors too, but i do not think they would consider it a "major advantage"

Written by a person has clearly never visited England. BTW, have you never heard of the condition where the body is deprived of adequate amounts of sunlight and the stresses that causes through vitamin D deficiency.

Anyone who thinks the Thais are happier should look at the suicide and homicide rates.

There could be an argument that the high levels are due to poor impulse control, which is another thing I see among the less well educated Thais, but even so, they aren't the figures of an especially happy population

Agreed, my wife can never understand why the "poor" people in movies are all dressed so "well".

because it's a movie, go to real ghettos and ppl will not be dressed as well as the movies.

My point is you see a homeless guy in Thailand you'll lucky if he's got some decent boxers on.

Whereas a homeless guy in the US would still have at least some pants and shirt.

When is the last time you saw a homeless person in your home country laying flat out in a doorway in only their boxer shorts?

Usually on Guadalupe Street, a stone's throw from the UTexas Austin campus and a short walk from my old college condo, the homeless folks are typically wearing parkas and army like pants (probably because most of them either are OR are play-acting to be Vietnam and Desert Storm vets). If the homeless in Thailand dressed like that, they'd probably all be dead from heat stroke.

:o

I think Thai people seem to me to be happier.

I think it could be because Thai people seem warmer and friendlier.

I have never stayed very long in Thailand but I feel happier because of the warmth and friendliness i feel when i visit.

Anyone who thinks the Thais are happier should look at the suicide and homicide rates.

There could be an argument that the high levels are due to poor impulse control, which is another thing I see among the less well educated Thais, but even so, they aren't the figures of an especially happy population

I just looked up the suicide rates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...by_suicide_rate

Thailand has a rate of 7.8, the UK a rate of 7.0, so the UK is less suicidal anyway.

Also, the level of drug abuse in Thailand is another thing indicating a less than happy population

I just looked up the suicide rates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...by_suicide_rate

Thailand has a rate of 7.8, the UK a rate of 7.0, so the UK is less suicidal anyway.

Also, the level of drug abuse in Thailand is another thing indicating a less than happy population

I would dare to guess that the drug abuse rate in the UK is not too dissimilar to that of Thailand although the official statistics will never show that because it would be politically incorrect to tell the entire truth.

Strangely enough, truly depressed people (by that I mean seriously depressed) rarely commit suicide. They don't have the energy/motivation.

The most dangerous time, for a depressed person, is often when their anti-depressents kick in and they suddenly have energy again.

Anyway back on topic. Suicide rates are deceptive, and I don't think appropriate for measuring general happiness of a country.

Somebody could be normally be very happy,but have a particularly bad day and kill themselves.

Edited by garro