Inflight Cuisine

Just read this on EVA

Fresh and healthy inflight cuisine

A wide range of tasty and healthy meals is provided for Economy Class passengers. For breakfast, passengers can try Chinese rice gruel :o

Eva has probably the worst food in Asia I reckon in both business and economy. It even makes TG food look like 3 Michelin stars.............

Eva Air is catered by ThaiAirways flight kitchen so it's the same "gruel". The food on most airlines is crap (including the airline I work for) and even though the airline caters for the crew as well, I and most of the flight crew bring and share food with each other while in the air on long haul flights. I stopped eating the airline meals many years ago.

Sidebar on the food in business and first class - generally most of these passengers don't partake of the food served but only eat the fruit, cheese, glass of wine and plenty of water while flying.

business, first class passengers do eat far better foor in the airline lounges or in the airport restaurants if they like a wider choice. For the jet lag the best is just water, as little for before, during and after flight as possible.

for me the quality of food inflight is not important, just I am crossed when instead of my ordered vegetarian they serve me the regular meal

Well i don't know about Chinese and Thai Gruel

But for the UK Gruel = real crap food and was a sludge served in work houses and prisons back in Victorian times

(oliver twist can i have some more please )

Just read this on EVA

Fresh and healthy inflight cuisine

A wide range of tasty and healthy meals is provided for Economy Class passengers. For breakfast, passengers can try Chinese rice gruel :o

:D There is a site on the internet....I can't remember the name offhand....where you can go and enter thr menu. flight number, airline, etc......and let the world know. Not that it does you any good, but it is fun...and you can see that other airlines had food as bad or worse than what you were fed.

IF TG kitchens are doing the EVA Air food from BKK-TPE, at least now I have a hunch on know where TG sends its leftovers and trash. :o TG food is usually better. I don't know who does the EVA Air menu descriptions but they are a hoot. Classic lines such as;

Nobody can resist its taste and flavor. Don't envy that your neighboring passenger is enjoying delicious food. Anyway, please hurry to select your meal through our global website: (Only hurrying is to the toilet after some of the selections....)

It turns cold day by day, so it is the right time for invigoration. For the purpose of nourishment in the cold winter, EVA Airways is very glad to present the Exclusive Food through Internet–Stewed Chicken and Thin Noodles with Sesame Oil for our E-meal online order guests (umm, esclusive food through internet? Maybe that explains the consistency.....)

Should you be interested in enjoying this delicious and healthy food while soaring high into the sky, please take this menu through our website (uhhh, like no.)

Fly With EVA Air and Enjoy Din Tai Fung Braised Beef Noodles! The beef comes from locally raised, four- to five-year-old Taiwanese yellow cattle. It is soft and juicy with a lustrous sheen and rich texture. (Sounds like a paint made from jandiced cows.)

Braised Lamb Chop with Shiso Prune Sauce and Wok Fried Prawn with Pepper and Chili, created to provide passengers departing Taiwan with choices enticing and satisfying from March to May, 2008 (enticing? satisfying? jeez, let me order a Subway sandwich instead, ok?)

Yea I know, the price is right, so I should just shaddup..... but still, can't they at least offer some sandwiches in the snack section like SQ, CX, TG do? They don't distribute waterbottles on Eva anymore so you have to go to the bar area and snatch them.

Edited by geriatrickid

i agree. eva food was the poorest I have had on my flights from los angeles to asia. China airlines was much better.

The rice gruel is also called joke rice soup here in american asian restaurants. served with cut up chicken and some sides of lemon squeezed into it, it is actually decent and similar to the greek egg and lemon soup.

IF TG kitchens are doing the EVA Air food from BKK-TPE, at least now I have a hunch on know where TG sends its leftovers and trash. :o TG food is usually better. I don't know who does the EVA Air menu descriptions but they are a hoot. Classic lines such as;

Nobody can resist its taste and flavor. Don't envy that your neighboring passenger is enjoying delicious food. Anyway, please hurry to select your meal through our global website: (Only hurrying is to the toilet after some of the selections....)

It turns cold day by day, so it is the right time for invigoration. For the purpose of nourishment in the cold winter, EVA Airways is very glad to present the Exclusive Food through Internet–Stewed Chicken and Thin Noodles with Sesame Oil for our E-meal online order guests (umm, esclusive food through internet? Maybe that explains the consistency.....)

Should you be interested in enjoying this delicious and healthy food while soaring high into the sky, please take this menu through our website (uhhh, like no.)

Fly With EVA Air and Enjoy Din Tai Fung Braised Beef Noodles! The beef comes from locally raised, four- to five-year-old Taiwanese yellow cattle. It is soft and juicy with a lustrous sheen and rich texture. (Sounds like a paint made from jandiced cows.)

Braised Lamb Chop with Shiso Prune Sauce and Wok Fried Prawn with Pepper and Chili, created to provide passengers departing Taiwan with choices enticing and satisfying from March to May, 2008 (enticing? satisfying? jeez, let me order a Subway sandwich instead, ok?)

Yea I know, the price is right, so I should just shaddup..... but still, can't they at least offer some sandwiches in the snack section like SQ, CX, TG do? They don't distribute waterbottles on Eva anymore so you have to go to the bar area and snatch them.

Your right! Yummy and as I drink my coffee this morning I'm laughing over these menu desciptions. But I think what the problem is, is that it is a direct translation from Chinese into English. Perhaps in Chinese the Din Tai Fung Braised Beef noodles and Shioso Prune Sauce over lamb would have you salvating??

Oy, probably haven't flown as many flights as some of the members here (maybe 200 international and 100 domestic flights total) but the part I dislike most is when the inflight meal service begins. Haven't eaten them in a few years (except for maybe the fruit and dessert), but it's easy to tell when somebody's opened the plastic seal on the hot dish.

It'd be nice if they simplified the menu a bit:

Drink

Main course: sandwich and chip/healthy snack selection

Fruits

then maybe a cookie or a piece of cake

Wouldn't require heating, fewer smells and probably cheaper.

I'm not really even that picky when I eat, I just try my best to avoid things that may cause stomach/digestive problems or make me sick. Actually, airline food and expired food are the only things I won't eat if given a choice.

Gruel is any kind of boiled cereal.

I think the Chinese call it Congee and the Thais, Khau Tom.

I'm partial to the packet variety and well cooked in a restaurant it can be very nice.

I used to have a bowl of Khau Tom Kung in the all night restaurant in the Federal Hotel for late supper/early breakfast after a long nights carousing down Sukhemvit Road and found it had wonderful restorative powers.

Hopefully my traveling days are pretty much finished. I have been told many stories about China Airlines horrible safety record and pilots who can't speak English but it was my airline of choice. I always ate the Asian food and had no complaints. They always got me where I was going so how can I complain.

http://www.airlinemeals.net/

Some of the Eva meals (including the congee) look fine.

Good site, go looksee.

I have posted there a number of times.

Tell the attendants you intend posting online, well Air NZ gals gave me extras for the pix.......LOL

Funny, but meals from Swampy for Thai dropped quality campared with Don Muang.

Thai meals much better out of AKL too.

Eva has probably the worst food in Asia I reckon in both business and economy. It even makes TG food look like 3 Michelin stars.............

sorry i must dissagree. my worst by air miles was kuwait airlines, i have never seen so much food left for the the rubbish bin, on the flight i was on.

A friend of mine returning from Ranong to Frankfurt. UNN to BKK with the now defunct Phuket Air. He made the mistake of eating the inflight meal. He had his own personalcabin flying BKK to FRA, he was in the toilet for most of the flight.

sorry i must dissagree. my worst by air miles was kuwait airlines, i have never seen so much food left for the the rubbish bin, on the flight i was on.

I think Biman is classed as Asia as well, and I reckon they take a lot of beating. :o

In economy I've found SQ to be the best, and I certainly couldn't fault SQ Biz either.

i agree with youse,why do they try to serve hot food.a nice sub/wrap/bagette/sandwich,glass of wine(how can they all serve red wine cold and white warm?)beer tea or coffee you could eat that 2/3 times on a long haul.

Just got back from flying TG LHR-BKK-SYD on Royal Silk.. Most of the food was pretty nasty. And I also hate the way they bring out several courses causing the meal to take hours when I want to sleep.

Used the C concourse lounge at BKK and the food there was crap too.

I think Biman is classed as Asia as well, and I reckon they take a lot of beating. :o

In economy I've found SQ to be the best, and I certainly couldn't fault SQ Biz either.

SQ yes perfect for food and most other aspects of the flight including ground services.

SQ's wine in BIZ class this month includes a great red Italian bottle....looking forward to a trip in F class with them next month....

The Japanese airlines are fine too ANA and JAL

TG can be a hit and miss in all classes for food and everything else !

Maybe there is something wrong with me but I look forward to eating when I fly.

Granted it is always business class and either Emirate, TG or SQ.

Azerbaijan Airlines is one airlines I will never eat on but most of the big carriers seem to do a decent job if you ask me.

I've been flying TG regularly to India in cattle class (I can squeeze more flights out of my skinflint employer).

The routes to the sub-continent seem to have poorer food than the rest of the planet, almost to the point of being inedible :o

This could be because they have to provide:-

1. Sikh
  2. Hindu
  3. Veg
  4. Strict-veg
  5. Non-veg

menus, this also significantly slows the service, invariably the non-veg (always chicken) comes round last :D

Surely it's possible to provide a vegetarian meal that is legal to all the religions that can't eat meat. Or maybe not.

Edited by Crossy

I

1. Sikh
  2. Hindu
  3. Veg
  4. Strict-veg
  5. Non-veg

menus, this also significantly slows the service, invariably the non-veg (always chicken) comes round last :o

Surely it's possible to provide a vegetarian meal that is legal to all the religions that can't eat meat. Or maybe not.

Forgot Kosher and Halal on middle eastern routes...

Non-Veg comes always with chicken becaus it sopposed to suit hindus (no beef) and muslims (no pork)!

and mutton or lamb is out of the question because it is disliked by most westerners...

As long as they don't serve the beloved "Mama" Soups out of Styrofoam containers I will happily keep flying!

Any one can bring his own...how about bringing some of these 4-5tiers stainlessteel containers on board and enjoy a really healthy locally made meal...with shrimp paste, fish sauce and may be some "goong pat sator"...

It's strange and a shame that TG's food is so poor considering how good Thai food is. The only remotely Thai thing they served, Thai fish cakes, we really nice.

Considering how much food gets discarded, you would think they'd cotton on. I don't think anyone ate the little pastries they brought round. One was like a sweet, but dry, croissant type pastry with tuna in it. Rank.

Some som tam with bbq meat would have done me.

Hahaha, I can see it now. Somchai pushing his BBQ cart up and down the aisles, followed by the "insect" cart, followed by the som tam guy with his little seat ! :o

I've been flying (mostly) TG and Emirates biz class the last couple of years. I've found the food to be quite good, but then, almost anything looks good after months and months of eating the stuff we get served here, over and over, again and again.

Maybe it's just the change of menu that makes it taste better than it is ? What ever, it sure as hel_l beats what Ariana Afghan, Kam Air and the (current) charter company offer for food on their flights ! :D

I like the choices you get in biz, but as mentioned earlier, sometimes it's too much. The canapes, followed by the appetizer, followed by the meal, then the fruit/cheese/cake cart. There seems to be a set time span between servings (i.e. serve the canapes. Wait 8 minutes. Remove the plates. Wait 4 minutes. Serve the appetizer. Wait 11 minutes. Remove the plates. Wait 6 minutes. Serve the meal. etc, etc).

Just serve it as fast as you can get the carts up and down the aisles. As soon as you've finished serving the cabin, go back to the beginning and serve the next round !

The Emirates Business Class lounge at Swampy had a nice selection of dishes (all Halal of course). Found it funny looking at how much alcohol was on display though. The Emirates Biz lounge in Dubai though has got to be one of the best I've ever seen. The CIP Business Class lounges tend to leave a lot to be desired though.

Going to try some other lounges and airlines this summer. Got to fly from Dubai to Vancouver, through Bangkok and (Taipei/Manila/HK/not sure yet), and not sure which airline. Then I have to fly me and "the grumpy old fart" aka Dad, back to Bkk for a couple of weeks, and then send the GoF back to Canada and myself back to AssCrackistan. Ought to put a nice dent in the bank account by the time that's finished !