Inflight Cuisine

And instead of the usual duty free, a cabin attendent should don a pointy hat and try to sell us one of those little wooden frogs.

Back to the food, my main gripe was not just that the food was not that great, but that it took so long to get it over with. I'd rather just get it on one tray so I can eat what I want then get some sleep.

Maybe there is something wrong with me but I look forward to eating when I fly.

Granted it is always business class and either Emirate, TG or SQ.

Azerbaijan Airlines is one airlines I will never eat on but most of the big carriers seem to do a decent job if you ask me.

Looks we are flying on the same route. :D

I fly on a monthly basis with TG, Emirates and AZAL ( Azerbaijan Airlines ) in business class and i only eat on TG or emirates,

I don't even look at the food from AZAL so horrible is it. ( even in business class ) :o

I have to say the food on TG and Emirates is not that bad. Off-course it is not very tasty but airline food is never tasty as it is served at the wrong conditions.

Even the best first class food doesn't taste very good when you at 38.000 feet.

I believe that has to do something with the cabin pressure and the effect of this on your taste buts in your mouth.

Azerbaijan Airlines is one airlines I will never eat on but most of the big carriers seem to do a decent job if you ask me.

I fly on a monthly basis with TG, Emirates and AZAL ( Azerbaijan Airlines ) in business class and i only eat on TG or emirates,

I don't even look at the food from AZAL so horrible is it. ( even in business class ) :o

I have to say the food on TG and Emirates is not that bad. Off-course it is not very tasty but airline food is never tasty as it is served at the wrong conditions.

I believe that has to do something with the cabin pressure and the effect of this on your taste buts in your mouth.

Good old AZAL, I hated that flight with a passion. The worst food in the world plus no overhead baggage space due to the 5 or 6 carry on bags the locals stuff in there (usually full of chocolate).

Wasn't it funny to watch nearly a whole Lada come out of the carousel in bits? hehe I am sure they could assemble it in the car park and then drive it home.

I don't even look at the food from AZAL so horrible is it. ( even in business class ) :D

Good old AZAL, I hated that flight with a passion. The worst food in the world plus no overhead baggage space due to the 5 or 6 carry on bags the locals stuff in there (usually full of chocolate).

Wasn't it funny to watch nearly a whole Lada come out of the carousel in bits? hehe I am sure they could assemble it in the car park and then drive it home.

Nothing is changed :D

That is the reason that i always board the aircraft as soon as possible. ( so i have space for my carry on )

Also Baku airport is an experience on it self, where do you find more officials then travelers and all with caps as big as helicopter landing platforms. :o

I think it is also the only airport where everybody's luggage has to through an x-ray machine when you come into the country. ( the green nothing to declare line is always closed )

But one thing of AZAL is good, they (almost) always fly on time.

Last week was also nice, after the engines where started before departure the captain came out of the cockpit and kicked his feet a few time against the 1L door because the not closed indication in the cockpit didn't go out.

Luckily their Boeing plane maintenance is outsourced to Dubai.

But is always an special experience to fly from Azerbaijan. :D

Edited by merijn

I think it is also the only airport where everybody's luggage has to through an x-ray machine when you come into the country. ( the green nothing to declare line is always closed )

Until recently, this was also the case at Australian airports. Made a nice change 3 weeks ago when I didn't have to queue for a grilling.

Until recently, this was also the case at Australian airports. Made a nice change 3 weeks ago when I didn't have to queue for a grilling.

good to know, you mean they acutally trusting people a bit more.

Nice to know I won't have to have clean shoes next time!!

But is always an special experience to fly from Azerbaijan. :o

I haven't been through for a while, but I always used the green line. The red line gets jam packed but nobody goes down the green line so I always went through, get stopped on the way down and I would just tell them "nothing to declare" and point to the green sign. It always seemed to work.

The other annoying thing about that airport is upon departure you have your passport checked several times before check in and then again before immigration, as well as bag x-ray and metal detectors, I have never been x-rayed, metal detected, patted down, documents checked, treated like a Chechyen as much as I have at the Heydar Aliyev International Airport.

Hey, isn't the smell of crude a great reminder that your back in Baku? Even the water in Fountain Square smells like it came from the drains at a petrol station.

But is always an special experience to fly from Azerbaijan. :D

I haven't been through for a while, but I always used the green line. The red line gets jam packed but nobody goes down the green line so I always went through, get stopped on the way down and I would just tell them "nothing to declare" and point to the green sign. It always seemed to work.

The other annoying thing about that airport is upon departure you have your passport checked several times before check in and then again before immigration, as well as bag x-ray and metal detectors, I have never been x-rayed, metal detected, patted down, documents checked, treated like a Chechyen as much as I have at the Heydar Aliyev International Airport.

Hey, isn't the smell of crude a great reminder that your back in Baku? Even the water in Fountain Square smells like it came from the drains at a petrol station.

Most of the time they close off the green line so you are forced to use the red line and x-ray machine. :o

Besides all the passport and ticket checks you also have now to get the ticket stamped after the x-ray and before the check-in counter.

Two people are checking your passport and ticket and after they stamp the ticket you are allowed to proceed to the check-in counter.

before the gate holding area you have again an passport and ticket check and besides the usual x-ray ( 3 times total ) there is also now an body scanner which everybody has to do and in where they check for bomb particles on your body.

Maybe everything is way over the top but i have to say it feel very secure especially when everybody has to it with no exceptions.

Your are right as soon step one foot out of the airplane you can smell the sweet smell of oil. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It probably has more to do with the fact all that food is mass produced in central kitchens, packaged, stored, eventually moved to the aircraft, and finally, reheated and served (hours after being initially prepared).

Not sure what the food on AZAL tastes like, but I imagine it's not too different from Ariana Afghan Airlines (or KAM Air for that matter). Most of the westerners I know wouldn't touch any of it. I felt kinda bad for the crew when they would pick up after the meals and see no one ate anything. The airline is quite cheap (under $400 US for the Kabul - Dubai - Kabul trip, business class). They really couldn't afford to pay the price to get better meals unless they increased their fares, which would make it difficult for a lot of their customers.

I think they would be better off to just offer juice, sodas, that flat bread and maybe some fruit. It's not a long flight anyways.

Anyone know what the food is (generally) like on Philippines Airlines ? I just planned my next trip, 4 different airlines, 4 cities and 8 "legs". Charter to DXB. Gulf Air to Bkk. Thai to Manila. Phil Air to Vancouver and back the same way 5 days later (to Bkk. Then spend the next 3 weeks recuperating) :o

Just read this on EVA

Fresh and healthy inflight cuisine

A wide range of tasty and healthy meals is provided for Economy Class passengers. For breakfast, passengers can try Chinese rice gruel :D

:D

Believe it or not the worst meal I ever had on an airline was in business class on a Gulf Air flight from Athens to Bangkok (via stop in Bahrain). That leg, Athens to Bahrain, had a meal advertised as a fusion of Mediterranean and middle Eastern cusine. Was absolutely inedible. Tomato paste on wheat crackers, Tomato paste which had been mixed with Olive oil and Basil. Tomato paste was sour and acid tasting, rancid tasting. Terrible meal.

On the leg from Bahrain to Bangkok one of the choices was a selection of Iranian and Middle Eastern treats. I gaurentee it was not a treat.

The only good item they had was pastry with a fig and date filling. The rest was trash. Even the so-called humass was bad tasting. The main course was greasy mutton and overcooked rice.

They did have decent coffee however. The coffee did help to wash away the taste of the other food.

:o

Believe it or not the worst meal I ever had on an airline was in business class on a Gulf Air flight from Athens to Bangkok (via stop in Bahrain). That leg, Athens to Bahrain, had a meal advertised as a fusion of Mediterranean and middle Eastern cusine. Was absolutely inedible. Tomato paste on wheat crackers, Tomato paste which had been mixed with Olive oil and Basil. Tomato paste was sour and acid tasting, rancid tasting. Terrible meal.

On the leg from Bahrain to Bangkok one of the choices was a selection of Iranian and Middle Eastern treats. I gaurentee it was not a treat.

The only good item they had was pastry with a fig and date filling. The rest was trash. Even the so-called humass was bad tasting. The main course was greasy mutton and overcooked rice.

They did have decent coffee however. The coffee did help to wash away the taste of the other food.

:o

Oh great. Thanks. Wonderful to hear. :D

I just booked a Gulf Air R/T from Dxb to Bkk. :D

I flew with them once before, but can't recall what the food was like. I just remember the cramped little airport in Bahrain that was undergoing constant renovations, and the little coffee shop that seated about 40 people, but had twice that number hanging around because it was the only smoking area at that end of the terminal. (The actual smoking room was at the almost opposite end, you could fit maybe a dozen people in there, right next to the bathrooms. Last time I was there there must have been 40-50 people smoking outside the smoking room, but only 4-5 inside.)

Ah well, the layover is short, the flight's not too long, gets me in to a better place at a better time. Guess I can live with the crappy food (though compared to here, pretty much anything will seem great !)

Me too, oh well looks like a snack at Swampy, quick connection in Bahrain, then the rest of the flight to London hoping my luggage has made the connection.

I suppose I have paid for the flight not a gourmet meal.

Not sure what the food on AZAL tastes like, but I imagine it's not too different from Ariana Afghan Airlines (or KAM Air for that matter). Most of the westerners I know wouldn't touch any of it. I felt kinda bad for the crew when they would pick up after the meals and see no one ate anything. The airline is quite cheap (under $400 US for the Kabul - Dubai - Kabul trip, business class). They really couldn't afford to pay the price to get better meals unless they increased their fares, which would make it difficult for a lot of their customers.

Maybe Ariana Afghan Airlines is cheap but AZAL business is NOT cheap. :o

My company pays almost 1100 USD for an 2 hrs flight between Baku and Dubai.

You would expect for this money at least a decent meal especially most travelers are European working in the oil industry.

Maybe Ariana Afghan Airlines is cheap but AZAL business is NOT cheap. :o

My company pays almost 1100 USD for an 2 hrs flight between Baku and Dubai.

You would expect for this money at least a decent meal especially most travelers are European working in the oil industry.

I hear you (sort of). We HAVE to use a charter company to get between Kandahar and Dubai. They charge $1,200 US for a round trip, and serve the same food as the Afghan air lines do. No "business" class, just cattle class seating (but wow, they have been providing free coffee and donuts when you check in at Kandahar !).

Good thing it's only (about) a 2 hour flight.