Disability And Health Insurance

Ketsara

Dear all,

I am relocating to Thailand to work soon. My (Thai) employer mentioned having a basic health insurance scheme, but also mentioning it won´t be up to western standards.

Therefore I am looking into a medical / health insurance, but do feel a bit nervous of insuring with a company that may decide to kick me out after a year when struck by bad luck (either big accident or serious illness).

Additionally, I am also looking into an insurance for disability. As I am form Holland, known for its quite extensive state benefits schemes, I do feel some natural urge to cover some benefits in case I won´t be able to work anymore.Thus I am trying to find something that covers me if I can not work for a long time due to an accident / illness. The life insurances offering 1 m bath are not sufficient to maintain my life style if there is no salary to be received.

Does anybody have good experiences on either health or life isurances serving these purposes?Is there anything to recommend? I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you,

Ketsare

Dear all,

I am relocating to Thailand to work soon. My (Thai) employer mentioned having a basic health insurance scheme, but also mentioning it won´t be up to western standards.

Therefore I am looking into a medical / health insurance, but do feel a bit nervous of insuring with a company that may decide to kick me out after a year when struck by bad luck (either big accident or serious illness).

Additionally, I am also looking into an insurance for disability. As I am form Holland, known for its quite extensive state benefits schemes, I do feel some natural urge to cover some benefits in case I won´t be able to work anymore.Thus I am trying to find something that covers me if I can not work for a long time due to an accident / illness. The life insurances offering 1 m bath are not sufficient to maintain my life style if there is no salary to be received.

Does anybody have good experiences on either health or life isurances serving these purposes?Is there anything to recommend? I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you,

Ketsare

Ketsara

In theory any insurance company can cancel a policy when it expires as all policies (contracts) are only for a year. However, in practice this does not happen – can you imagine the publicity, just not worth while for the insurance company to do that.

Please send in your details and we shall see what we can do for you.

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Permanent Health insurance is the route to go.

To much to explain here but investigate the contract for its terms and conditions.

Annual type contracts viz PA, Sickness and medical are not really the answer

You are looking at Income protection - Permanent Health insurance provides this as well as other benefits

Good luck

I think what you are looking for is a critical illness policy, that will pay out a lump sum/ income upon diagnosis of one of a list of ilnesses or conditions (cancer, heart attack, stroke, permanent disability etc. etc.). I had one of these in the UK but cancelled it when I moved here as Thailand was on the list of countries which would invalidate the policy if you spend more than 3 months of any given year there.

I have seen many of these policies in the past, and all of them had a list of excluded countries, all the ones I saw had Thailand on that list.

I don't think the Thai insurance companies are sophisticated enough to offer an equivalent of this type of morbidity protection, which is completely different to your private medical insurance as it adresses a different need.

To much to explain here but investigate the contract for its terms and conditions.

You are looking at Income protection - Permanent Health insurance provides this as well as other benefits

Good luck

I think you might struggle to get a PHI policy to cover you if your permanent residence is Thailand also.

Good luck

I think you might struggle to get a PHI policy to cover you if your permanent residence is Thailand also.

I did consider critical illness but I was mindful of the OP's request for all-in-cover whereas CI is limited to illness/disease. Nevertheless point takeb reference availability of PHI in LOS.

Question for TVI - is PHI available here?

Dear all,

Thank you,

Ketsare

LMG Mega Series (which Thaivisa offers) and BUPA guarantee to renew health coverage for life. Of course, they will raise your premium if you have exceptionally high claims - all health insurers will do that.

You won't be able to find a Thai company offering the type of Income Protection (disability) insurance you are looking for. But, it is available in Thailand as international (non-Thai baht) insurance.