Discos For The Older Dude

dalmatian

Will be down in Phuket in a week or so and staying at Mercure Patong Beach. Now the wife (English/Burmese) likes to disco but where we live in Pattaya the choice is sparse.

I've looked up a few places in the phuket directories and they all mention hip hop, rap, house, garage etc, which doesn't gel much with the wife. What she is looking for (and me too really) is a club/disco that plays middle of the road pop like Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, Shakira, Kylie, J-Lo, 50 Cents etc.

Is there such a place in Patong or the locale, would appreciate any info. Me, I like rock but I am sure you appreciate the need to keep the wife happy!

You picked a very nice hotel situated at the corner of Ruamchai and Rat-u-Thit, so you can walk to many of the clubs in relative safety. The clubs on Bangla are close by. You might get put off by the loser crowd and their rent a dates, on Bangla though. However, as you are from Pattaya, you've seen worse. If you go the Bangla route, there is Tiger Disco, and lot of others. Just walk in, listen and if you don't like it try another. Or have a walk along the beach road towards bangla and you'll hit Banana. I don't go to these places and have only been in Tiger once, so I can't comment as to what goes on inside, but I have walked by enough to consider them all safe and able to meet your needs. Failing that there is always the depressing Elvis imitation show..........

We usually go to Galaxy on soi sunset strip and the other dance clubs along the strip as they are favoured by Thais and get less idiots that can't hold their liquor. None of the girls has ever been groped or otherwise harassed. They usually play Thai love songs that grate on my nerves or current euro dance stuff, and there is always a live show. If you have a chance, try one of the Thai clubs.

Nothing beats having a bottle of whiskey opened up and chillaxin with the crew :o

Thanks guys for the heads up, sounds like I need to send the wife in on point with a doggie lead attached, that way my ears won't be blasted too heavily.

Geriatrickid you are right, I have seen worse in Pattaya. I can handle the scene but it is so difficult these days to take the wife out for a good night without being assaulted by the rude and crude. Hotel bars are a good deal sometimes as they get a more 'normal' crowd and if a Filipino band is playing I suppose we could just about dance. God I am sounding lame!

Sounds like we will take our chances and do as you say, check each one out and find out which one will keep the missus happy. Probably be a stiff coffee in Starbucks for me!

The music you seek will be found in varying quanitites in Tiger, Seduction, and FBI Taipan.

Basic Breakdown:

Tiger(Bangla Rd): 240THB entry (gets you 2 drink vouchers inside)

Crickets roaring until about 11PM (IOW nobody in there)

from about 1130PM until 1210AM it's mostly trane/electronica and then as if by magic and with no transition it switches over to house type music until around 2-230AM when they start throwing in the Thai favorites.

Seduction(Bangla Rd): 200THB entry (gets you NO drinks inside)

lowly populated until about 12AM but I believe they something like 50THB mixed drink happy hour (from 11PM-12AM)

2 floors of different music

1st floor: mostly house with a decent smattering of some of the types of music you are looking for.

2nd floor: (only open on the weekends now thats it's low season) purely Euro trance/electronica

FBI Taipan (Rat tu Tit opposite Bangla): No entry fee

Live band (on wknds I believe) until around 12AM then switch to DJ with mostly house/club music

Banana (Beach Rd): 400THB entry (gets you 2 drinks)

trancey until 12AM, then like Tiger a DJ switch gets flippe dand it's all house.

IMO, Banana is by far, the worst, most horrible, overpriced, Aggro Euro sausage fest to be found in Patong.

IOW, I can't say enough bad things about it.

Galaxy: No entry cost

DEFFO like this place.

Doesn's fill up unitl late (1230AMish)

And the Thai badn doesn't hit the stage sually until about 1AM

The DJ fills the space with mostly house and dancable R&B.

The band does some rocky english hip hop covers and some pretty decet Thai pop covers.

MOST deffo my favorite nightclub in Patong. Prob 85-90% Thais vice Farang tourists.

FBI Taipan (Rat tu Tit opposite Bangla): No entry fee

Live band (on wknds I believe) until around 12AM then switch to DJ with mostly house/club music

This is where most of the ' Oldies ' hang out.....

What about the 'Irish pub' in the main bar street? I'm no expert on Patong music so correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was introduced to this place last week there was a bloody excellent band there, fronted by a guy who put down his guitar and picked up an electric fiddle of all things. This guy can play!