Radar Crackdown On Expressway Speeders

george

500 B is a great deal for being on the thai autobahn.

But the even greater deal is when first caught. You can not be caught for any further traffic offense the next 7 days.

Only show em your bill and you ll go free!

-----------------------------------------------------------

As I understand the Law, is that if your Car Tax is not valid, or you get pulled over for your car smoking too much, over loaded etc., then you have 24 hours grace from your next police check. Speeding is not included however, nor is not wearing your safely belt either. :D

There is one quirk, to my understanding you are the not allowed to drive with out your license, which you should pick up in 7 days. !! Practice & the Law are not always the same.

To the other point mentioned, yes you are allowed to drive for only up to 7 days as long as you pay your fine and collect your driving license back within that period, as long as you have your ticket with you at all times to show should they request to see your driving license. :D

Got done a few times in Thailand, been driving these roads for just over 17 years and yes it was a “Fair Cop” as they say, I was in the wrong lane (the outside one), indicator on toooooo long, (it got stuck and never noticed it) speeding many a time, some I got away with, others just paid the fine on the spot as I knew I was dam-wrong. Saved me a lot of time in the middle of "Nakon Somewhere" to find the Cop Station to pay me fine.

Having said that, there have been a few times, that I was not in the wrong and did not have to pay anything. The officers where always polite. :D

Have see many accidents whilst drive Thailand during daylight hours and most have be caused by “Tire Wear”. Folks not taking care of their Tires, pressure, worn threads and most of all in this heat the rubber does get softer, as the years go by.

I do not have a problem with the 80 kms speed limit on the Express Way nor the Toll Way, as one can still do 120 kms on the Motorway.:o

Safe driving to you all and remember “Don’t Drink and Drive as you might spill it

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, as long as they continue to be predictable (read: lazy), it will be same as it ever was. If I get caught, it's cause I was lazy that day. Remember, the police don't like to (can't?) chase anyone. So they camp before a toll booth or on/off-ramp always in a nice safe spot, close to coffee and a bathroom. I've found this even true for the speed trap they set up on HWY 2 near the Pak Chong Resivoir (50km from Korat).

As for being Farang, I driven a lot (all over Thailand) as well as do the daily Bangkok-Chonburi run, and never have I been singled out for being Farang. If anything, I get the sense they don't want to bother with with me.

My worst fear is that they will start radaring ON the Bangna-Trat expressway. That would seirously ruin things ... and probably cause a lot of accidents.

I get stopped every time at the toll gate when the police are active simply because I'm farang. They tell me I was caught speeding on radar and ask for 500 - 2000 baht. They got me once. After that I drive 80 and when I'm asked for money I calmly say no I was driving 80 (my gf says this is thai also). They smile and let me go. It's a total scam. My gf says they need the money for their families. So do I.

"they need the money for their families..." :o EVER HEARD SOMETHING ELSE HERE !???? Maybe they forgot to mention that they also need the money for the booze that night, and next night, and next..... Mother fuc_kers, that's what they are !!

Indeed, it's ONLY because we are farang, mobile trees with GOLDEN leaves ! When is the government going to do something about this ?? i guess NEVER as they teach their people how to handle with farangs, jesus ! Sometimes i wonder why we, ALL of the farangs, don't just leave this country, only to see what they gonna do without all our golden eggs ! :D

They don't stop you cuz you're farang. I've NEVER been stopped at the booths EVER. If you're driving a truck you'll get pulled over, but not a sedan (saloon) or an SUV. The cops will pull anybody over in a truck cuz they think they are poor and are therefore not important and therefore are more able to elicit bribes from them. But it has nothing to do with you being farang. i've driven here for 6 years and have gone through multiple cop checkpoints and never ever ever have I been stopped.

Have to agree. There's a lot of xenophobic nonsense in the often repeated claim that farangs are targeted because they are farangs. Most likely a self-fulfilling statement: if you play the victim you'll get bullied.

They're also standing at the toll booth on the Chon Buri motorway looking at rego stickers as you pay the toll. If your sticker is out of date they motion you to the side and ask for money, in our case 1000 baht.

They're also standing at the toll booth on the Chon Buri motorway looking at rego stickers as you pay the toll. If your sticker is out of date they motion you to the side and ask for money, in our case 1000 baht.

You should always insist on a receipt on these occasions,

or negotiate a lower payment without one :o

You should always insist on a receipt on these occasions,

or negotiate a lower payment without one :o

Negotiate a lower Price - quite right, it works for me. In the last few months I have started driving between Ubon and places around BKK frequently - - Beware if you drive in th Nanrong area on Road 24, they use radar and no -reason stops. Before Songkran there were so many stops on the Ubon Bkk rout I assumed it was to get plenty of dosh for the festivities. However, it was just as bad after Songkran - ummmmm - maybe it was close to end of month lottery?

The highest priced scam(recently in Nakhon Nayok) was 300Bht for not have a copy of the ownership book. One of the leading Qs asked by the BIBs is "how long you live Thailand" This is not showing an interest in you but more to do with do you understand the "fine" system.

I have been driving in LOS for 4 year - BKK an Isan there are more stops now than ever before maybe its because the cost of living is going up so much - any ideas?

The usual tactic is to ask for your licence, pocket it and then ask for money to get it back.

I only had my Oz licence and I definitely wanted that back. In future I'll carry and hand over my International licence since its easy and cheap to replace if necessary.

I have a badge on the front of my car from the Royal Automobile Association of Thailand.

Surprisingly that commands respect from the police who wave me on,

probably thinking I am some big-wig. :o

I didn't notice, but my Thai son pointed it out. :D

-----------------

They don't stop you cuz you're farang. I've NEVER been stopped at the booths EVER. If you're driving a truck you'll get pulled over, but not a sedan (saloon) or an SUV. The cops will pull anybody over in a truck cuz they think they are poor and are therefore not important and therefore are more able to elicit bribes from them. But it has nothing to do with you being farang. i've driven here for 6 years and have gone through multiple cop checkpoints and never ever ever have I been stopped.

You taking something you shouldn't be? :o

HMMM. Forgot to smoke my morning doobie.

I wrote in haste. The point I was making is that cops are loathe to pull people over in nice cars, because they might be someone important, and hence, that drive could possible get them in hot water.

They figure that anybody driving a pickup or a beat-up car has scraped together the cash and is therefore not well-connected and, hence, can be messed with. I drive through checkpoints all the time when they only pull over pickups (new or old it doesn't matter).

I've been pulled over three times here, all for doing something illegal. Like an illegal u-turn or turning left against a red light where there was a sign that read "no turn on red light" in Thai. They'll nab you for legitimate stuff.

And also, it seems to me that they are loathe pick out a farang for the most part at their checkpoints because they don't want to deal with the communication problem of trying to explain exactly why they are being pulled over in broken English.

'nuff said.

Wow, you better get that 'doobie' material looked at because from the sound of your post I reckon it's 'ditch weed'....

I have been living on and off in Thailand now for the past three years. Just over Songkran week I was pulled over twice for no reason. Both times it was as I was driving between Chiang Mai and Surin for the holiday. On the way to Surin, I was waved over (as I said for no reason) and the officer asked from my Driver's license. I politely handed him my 10 yr USA license. He next stated (in English) that I was driving too fast and passing too many cars. This was impossible with all the traffic on the roads leading out of Sariburi the Friday before Songkran week. He then asked for 200 baht (in Thai, of course). I played 'dumb' saying that I didn't understand what he was saying. He then leaned through my open window spoke Thai to my wife saying for me to pay 200 baht. My wife playing along with me (making him think I do not speak Thai) told me in English that he wanted 200 baht. I paid him, he gave me my license back, and I left.

Now when I was leaving Surin alone and heading back to CM I was pulled over again. This policeman spoke very little English at all. He approaced my car speaking only in Thai. I told him that I didn't understand him. He then only said one word, 'slow', as he was gesturing downwards with his hands. He then asked me for 150 baht in Thai. I again told him that I didn't understand him. Since his English was very limited he asked for 100 baht, but this time in English (I guess he didn't know how to say 'fifty'). Anyway, this time my wife was not there to help him interpret so I paid him 100 baht and drove off.

This was two times in 1 week mind you. But before that I took my wife's cousin's taxi once a month from Bangkok to Surin as at that time I was working in China and living in Thailand. When I made this trip it was always well after midnight and on a Friday night. Needless to say, I did this for about 18 months and every time we made that trip we always got pulled over by the police. Many nights we were pulled over two or three times with the police only wanting money. Since my wife's cousin is Thai he usually got away with only paying 40 or 50 baht. But believe me, the policemen always looked in the back of the taxi and saw me, the farang, and usually asked for much more to begin with.

So, if you want to get pulled over and pay a few baht I recommend traveling outside of BKK into the countryside later at night......

I get pulled over once and a while down here in the Pattaya area. I know where they are (on Sukhumvit near Chaiyapreuk road going towards the Ambassador hotel south of Pattaya), but occasionally they still decide to pull me over for no reason.

I don't bother trying to act like I don't speak Thai (waste of time in my opinion, ymmv), I don't bother withholding my license, I just deal with them as if they are human beings. They usually ask a couple questions, like where am I going, and say something like I was in the wrong lane. I point out I was passing a truck in that case. I smile a lot, happy to have the chance to visit with such nice, hard-working individuals. I have never been charged anything unless I had been caught doing something wrong.

My favorite incident was when I ran a stale yellow light (ok, fresh red) and there was a policeman right there. He told me the ticket would be 400 baht and that I had to pay at the local station. I protested, saying I didn't have the time, and took 400 baht out of my pocket and tried to give it to him (I was dead wrong, after all!). He refused to take the money, shaking his hand at me! I then realized he had two fingers up on the hand he was shaking at me. I handed him 200 baht and pocketed the other 200 baht. He shook my hand and I was on my way! Nothing like a bit of honest corruption to make your day bright.

and say something like I was in the wrong lane. I point out I was passing a truck in that case.

This is the right approach.

You were going too fast. No I was travelling at 90, the limit.

Oh, then you were in the righthand lane. Yes I was overtaking a slower car/lorry.

Oh. Off you go.

My favorite incident was when I ran a stale yellow light (ok, fresh red) and there was a policeman right there. He told me the ticket would be 400 baht and that I had to pay at the local station. I protested, saying I didn't have the time, and took 400 baht out of my pocket and tried to give it to him (I was dead wrong, after all!). He refused to take the money, shaking his hand at me! I then realized he had two fingers up on the hand he was shaking at me. I handed him 200 baht and pocketed the other 200 baht. He shook my hand and I was on my way! Nothing like a bit of honest corruption to make your day bright.

I agree, no more than 50% if there is no official receipt forthcoming. :o

500 B is a great deal for being on the thai autobahn.

But the even greater deal is when first caught. You can not be caught for any further traffic offense the next 7 days.

Only show em your bill and you ll go free!

I had been using this one for a good 8 months :o Last time I was pulled over on the Motorway/Freeway section coming back from the airport, the copper pointed out that the ticket was quite old, and I replied that I don't spend much time in Thailand. A smile, 200 baht and I was off. But he took the receipt. So that play is out :D

Yesterday I drove 400 km in the Northern region. Saw 2 serious crashes involving lorries. Everything I fly to BKK, I just hope I won't get one of these amphetamin addicted taxi drivers speeding like mad their wrecked Toyota on the tollway. These guys just can't make the difference between reality and a Nintendo anymore.

Nowadays, Thai roads are just sad killing fields.

I do favor speed control on highways (and anywhere else irresponsible behavior is common). Efficient and fair control and enforcement.

As for me I prefer to contribute 400 to the government chest than privately reward 200 a policeman for being corrupt. It will cost me more but I don't feel like I'm spreading the big Thai disease a little further. Just Pavlov kind of opinion. :o

Can someone elaborate on how the points system works please. I read somewhere that this only applies if your license was issued in Bangkok? Also how many points do you start with, and what happens when they are all gone?

Thanks.

Anyone?

this is how I got points.

I got caught speeding on the express way ver Bang-Na. 130KPH which was very slow for me as I normally went over 180 on that stretch, so I was very lucky that day.

they took my licence and would not except a bribe, they wrote a ticket out for me and told me to go to the station within 7 days.

I got to the station and was told to pay 500 baht and was given another ticket and told to come back after two weeks to collect my licence.

I went back a 2nd time to collect the licence and they had given me 30 points.

he told me you start off with no points and when you reach 60 you dont loose the licence but you do have to re-do the test before you can drive again. the points that you accumulate will be wiped off after 1 year.

Driving at 120 exceeds the legal limit of 80kph, says Lt-Colonel Dussadee Sukarasape, a senior traffic policeman.

Does it really take a Lt-Colonel to state that? :o

The legal limit is 120 km/h on expressways but they also have digital signs that show that limit is 80 now. They are supposed to turn them on in rain or in other hazardous conditions. Drivers don't pay any attention to them as the police apparently forgot where the switch was and leave them on even when the traffic crawls and 5km/h for several kilometers in peak hours.

I don't believe in applying blanket top speed limits, it's unnatural and leads to contradiction between the law and the drivers.

Take that elevated Bangna-Chonburi road. LOTS of people believe that 180 or even 272 is a safe speed on that road. They can't all be suicidal maniacs, it just feels safe to them. But the law declares it as dangerous as a two lane Bangkok-Chonburi motorway that is filled with ten-wheel lorries. People don't do 272 there, they know it's not safe.

The law already recongnises some roads as safe for faster driving but further refinement is still necessary. They don't need to declare no speed limits, being hypocrits as they are they can just stop enforcing them and move their radar traps to potentially more dangerous locations.

This is how it works, imo - the majority of people follow some common principles and the govt set them as laws. Individuals who significantly deviate from these standards get punished according to the degree of deviation. It works with speed limits, it works with stealing and murders.

Problems arise when the law and common behavior are at odds. You need to either show the public the reason or adjust the laws. In politics, for example, they might want to legalise giving money to voters, both the givers and the takers feel that it's not fair to get punished for that, I don't see the public realising the dangers any time soon.

Can someone elaborate on how the points system works please. I read somewhere that this only applies if your license was issued in Bangkok? Also how many points do you start with, and what happens when they are all gone?

Thanks.

Anyone?

this is how I got points.

I got caught speeding on the express way ver Bang-Na. 130KPH which was very slow for me as I normally went over 180 on that stretch, so I was very lucky that day.

they took my licence and would not except a bribe, they wrote a ticket out for me and told me to go to the station within 7 days.

I got to the station and was told to pay 500 baht and was given another ticket and told to come back after two weeks to collect my licence.

I went back a 2nd time to collect the licence and they had given me 30 points.

he told me you start off with no points and when you reach 60 you dont loose the licence but you do have to re-do the test before you can drive again. the points that you accumulate will be wiped off after 1 year.

I thought you told me that beast you drive was not happy unless it was at 220kph? :D

You slowing down in your old age or are those cooking smells getting to you? :o