How Much Money Do I Need To Survive?

roboedar

Hi there guys. This is my first post in this forum. I am 23 years old, living in Seattle, WA and I have come to a stage in my life that I am sure many of you have been- The stage where you tell yourself, "I gotta get out of here. Theres gotta be more to life than this." So I have decided on seeing a different part of the world. The last time I left the country was when I was 17, I went to see my relatives in Korea. I would love to go to Korea again, but I have already seen the place and it is expensive there. So I decided on Thailand or Vietnam. Then narrowed it down to Thailand because I figure there are more tourists there, therefore more of a chance that I can find an English speaking person in case of an emergency.

I decided on staying there for 3 months. I would prefer to live in a city-like environment (or near one), but nothing too expensive like the center of bangkok. For the last 3 weeks or so I would like to stay in a smaller town, since I will hopefully be able to get around easier. I am also a amateur photographer and would like to see some of the nicer, more traditional tourism attractions that Thailand has to offer for some good photos to share with home. I do not plan on spending a whole bunch of money on buying things really. I also just need a decent place to stay. I do not want to live in a run down bungalow/hut thing, but I also do not need a huge place in a skyscraper-like hotel. I do need an internet connection however or ill probably have a seizure and die.

So knowing what little information I've given you, how much money would you say I need to live in Thailand for 3 months? (Including cost of a place to stay). Again, I can live fairly simple, but I do need 4 meals a day, money for tourism, maybe small trinkets to send home and cost of internet connection. I dont need the guesstimate to include cost of daily boozing and whores every night etc. as I appreciate the well being of my wingwang. :o

Thanks so much and I'm glad to become a part of the board!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recommended costs:

- Apartment (small studio with aircon in City): 8,000-10,000 per month

- Apartment Deposit (1-2 months refundable when you leave): 8,000-20,000

- Food (seeing as the price of meals range widely let assume you'll eat at McDonald's 4 times per day): 400-500 per day

But you could eat 20baht rice meals and get by on 80 per day

- Internet (assuming you went a few hours per day to an internet cafe): 50baht per day.

- Taxis/BTS/Subway/Tuk Tuk etc..(assume you travel around a lot): 400 per day

- Beer (assuming a few bottles per night): 300 per day

Total (averaged): 149,000 (about 4,700 USD)

Obviously this is just a very rough guide, and assumes you'd stay in Bangkok the whole time (and do nothing but eat, drink and travel around).

If you took a trip to a tourist area (ie Phucket etc...) the prices would be much higher.

Wow that's actually far less than I was expecting. 300baht per day just on beer for 90 days converted to about 850usd savings, but we'll just keep it that at 650 savings assuming i'll drink once in a while. I already live off of ramen, rice and kimchi pretty much, so 80baht a day on authentic thai food doesn't sound bad at all! That converts to 1216usd savings. That equates to me only needing 2800USD to survive out there for 3 months.... Is that really possible? Seems so low.

btw dave do you use AIM or MSN messenger at all? I wont harass you, just wanted to ask a couple questions.

Recommended costs:

- Apartment (small studio with aircon in City): 8,000-10,000 per month

- Apartment Deposit (1-2 months refundable when you leave): 8,000-20,000

- Food (seeing as the price of meals range widely let assume you'll eat at McDonald's 4 times per day): 400-500 per day

But you could eat 20baht rice meals and get by on 80 per day

- Internet (assuming you went a few hours per day to an internet cafe): 50baht per day.

- Taxis/BTS/Subway/Tuk Tuk etc..(assume you travel around a lot): 400 per day

- Beer (assuming a few bottles per night): 300 per day

Total (averaged): 149,000 (about 4,700 USD)

Obviously this is just a very rough guide, and assumes you'd stay in Bangkok the whole time (and do nothing but eat, drink and travel around).

If you took a trip to a tourist area (ie Phucket etc...) the prices would be much higher.

you did a good job on the budget..

and we shoud remind him take as much as you can..in case you are in a urgency..your money will be safe in your credit card..and there are some money will out of the budget...hehe..it depends on you how you want to spend ...

Hi there guys. This is my first post in this forum. I am 23 years old, living in Seattle, WA and I have come to a stage in my life that I am sure many of you have been- The stage where you tell yourself, "I gotta get out of here. Theres gotta be more to life than this." So I have decided on seeing a different part of the world. The last time I left the country was when I was 17, I went to see my relatives in Korea. I would love to go to Korea again, but I have already seen the place and it is expensive there. So I decided on Thailand or Vietnam. Then narrowed it down to Thailand because I figure there are more tourists there, therefore more of a chance that I can find an English speaking person in case of an emergency.

I decided on staying there for 3 months. I would prefer to live in a city-like environment (or near one), but nothing too expensive like the center of bangkok. For the last 3 weeks or so I would like to stay in a smaller town, since I will hopefully be able to get around easier. I am also a amateur photographer and would like to see some of the nicer, more traditional tourism attractions that Thailand has to offer for some good photos to share with home. I do not plan on spending a whole bunch of money on buying things really. I also just need a decent place to stay. I do not want to live in a run down bungalow/hut thing, but I also do not need a huge place in a skyscraper-like hotel. I do need an internet connection however or ill probably have a seizure and die.

So knowing what little information I've given you, how much money would you say I need to live in Thailand for 3 months? (Including cost of a place to stay). Again, I can live fairly simple, but I do need 4 meals a day, money for tourism, maybe small trinkets to send home and cost of internet connection. I dont need the guesstimate to include cost of daily boozing and whores every night etc. as I appreciate the well being of my wingwang. :D

His 'wingwang' :o

and we shoud remind him take as much as you can..in case you are in a urgency..your money will be safe in your credit card..and there are some money will out of the budget...hehe..it depends on you how you want to spend ...

Actually I only have 1 credit card that has a visa logo on it, and the limit on it is only $250 (which is low). The rest of my credit cards are for department stores and wouldn't work in Thailand. I do however keep most of my money in my bank account debit card which has a visa logo on it. Will my debit card (bank card) w/ a visa logo work in Thailand?

:D

We just returned to the states after three months traveling through Thailand, Lao, and Cambodia. We averaged less than $2000 per month. We did not suffer any, just spent wisely. We could have done the trip for quite a bit less if we didn't like our beer and take some fairly expensive transportation from time to time. We have been to Thailand many times, so we knew somethings to do and somethings to avoid. You should do well, even if you make some of the common mistakes made by first time visitors.

Enjoy your trip :o !

I my opinion, the above estimate is from a very narrow and atypical slice of the real Thailand. Living in Bangkok would be like you wanting to get a taste of the "real USA" and choosing to live in Manhattan, NYC.

Let's now take living near a medium-sized Thai city--let's say Khon Kaen or Ubon Ratchathani. Your costs:

Apartment (2-3 rooms): 2,500-4,000 Baht/month (little or no deposit)

Food: 100B/day or 3,000 Baht/month

Internet 1mb/ADSL: 700 Baht/month

Transportation: 1,750 Baht/month (buy a used motorbike for 5,000Baht for the three months)

Beer: 40B a bottle 1,200 Baht/month (30 beers/month--that enough?)

Total: 10,650/month 32,000/3 months $1,000 USD/3 months

Huge difference, huh? You could save enough on a daily basis to take plenty of side trips throughout Thailand any time you wanted (see the big tourist traps of Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok).

Furthermore, Isaan (where both of these cities are located) provides an infinitely more genuine Thai experience than the cosmopolitan Bangkok (just like any other big international capitol city, in my opinion).

Also, photo opportunities would be immensely more diverse--for example, check out an Isaan friend's local photos at http://www.trekearth.com/members/Senk/

Wow that's actually far less than I was expecting. 300baht per day just on beer for 90 days converted to about 850usd savings, but we'll just keep it that at 650 savings assuming i'll drink once in a while. I already live off of ramen, rice and kimchi pretty much, so 80baht a day on authentic thai food doesn't sound bad at all! That converts to 1216usd savings. That equates to me only needing 2800USD to survive out there for 3 months.... Is that really possible? Seems so low.

btw dave do you use AIM or MSN messenger at all? I wont harass you, just wanted to ask a couple questions.

2800 should be fine for 3 months. The previous budget is probably more than what you need, but its better to overestimate how much you'll spend then run short. A small studio in Bangkok is about 4-6k per month, and its very rare that I spend 500 baht per day on food. I only spend that much if I'm eating Japanese. Internet is 15-30 baht per hour at cafes. Taxis, the skytrain, buses, and trains are dirt cheap and it'd be difficult to average 400 baht per day. If you really just want a place to live and hang out for a few months Thailand is ridiculously cheap.

Actually I only have 1 credit card that has a visa logo on it, and the limit on it is only $250 (which is low). The rest of my credit cards are for department stores and wouldn't work in Thailand. I do however keep most of my money in my bank account debit card which has a visa logo on it. Will my debit card (bank card) w/ a visa logo work in Thailand?

A lot of places in Thailand still charge a premium (3% - 5%) for use of a credit card, and they often want to take a photocopy of your passport--huge hassle. Thailand hasn't fully entered the 20th century (let alone the 21st century) in banking yet.

However, yes, your debit card will work just fine at most ATM's which display the same financial networks as shown on the back of your card: (Cirrus, Plus, Star, etc.). I've never had a problem over 6 years with use of a USA debit card at ATM's.

Edited by toptuan

Even though the card has a $250 limit you could put money into it, upon saying that I would never present a credit card in Thailand, I would only use it to withdraw cash at the ATM, there is far to much C/C fraud going on in Thailand.

A lot of places in Thailand still charge a premium (3% - 5%) for use of a credit card, and they often want to take a photocopy of your passport--huge hassle. Thailand hasn't fully entered the 20th century (let alone the 21st century) in banking yet.

I've never seen a place in Thailand that wants to see, let alone photocopy, your passport, when using a credit card, except at banks. Stores don't even ask to see any kind of ID when you use a credit card. Lots of places do charge the premium though, which is annoying, and apparently technically illegal.

Spending about an hour on this board has got me like 100 times more amped up to go on this trip. Toptuan, those photos your friend has taken are amazing! I can't wait to get out there and start shooting! A friend of mine that happens to be Thai might be joining me on my first couple of weeks there, which is gonna be a huge help since she speaks fluent and has family out there. I guess I should study up!

I've never seen a place in Thailand that wants to see, let alone photocopy, your passport, when using a credit card, except at banks. Stores don't even ask to see any kind of ID when you use a credit card. Lots of places do charge the premium though, which is annoying, and apparently technically illegal.

Your experience is different from mine. Probably depends on the part of the country you're in.

:o:D :D I am sure that TAT would love to see this to add to their profile and demographics pf prospective visitors to the country. And to think that many people people complain about VISA restrictions to Thailand. Trying applying for a US Visa if u are a Thai on a shoestring budget!

Lots of places do charge the premium though, which is annoying, and apparently technically illegal.

Can you please elaborate on the 'illegal' part of your statement? Why would you think it is illegal? It costs merchants 3-4% when they accept a credit card, thus in Thailand (and probably many other places), they pass this charge onto the customer.

In the US, where this fee is not charged to the customer, one can only assume that it is already priced into the goods for sale. That means that those who elect to pay cash are getting screwed. Now that should be illegal!

Can you please elaborate on the 'illegal' part of your statement? Why would you think it is illegal? It costs merchants 3-4% when they accept a credit card, thus in Thailand (and probably many other places), they pass this charge onto the customer.

In the US, where this fee is not charged to the customer, one can only assume that it is already priced into the goods for sale. That means that those who elect to pay cash are getting screwed. Now that should be illegal!

Unfortunately, I can't elaborate. Perhaps I'm even wrong. But what I've read was that stores are not allowed to charge the extra 3%, but that they do it anyway. If anyone has more info on this subject, I'd love to know, cause it's very annoying when I'm buying something with my credit card and I get an extra 3% added on to the price tag.

:o:D :D I am sure that TAT would love to see this to add to their profile and demographics pf prospective visitors to the country. And to think that many people people complain about VISA restrictions to Thailand. Trying applying for a US Visa if u are a Thai on a shoestring budget!

I'm sure they would love to see it as well. Young people visiting Thailand on a budget come back in 10-20 years with family in tow, and spend a lot of money.

Lots of places do charge the premium though, which is annoying, and apparently technically illegal.

It is in their service agreement when they sign up for the merchant services with credit card processing company, that they will not charge the customer more to pay with a credit card.

So they are violating the terms of service agreement (so in that sense it is "illegal" as they are violating a contract).

Probably could not/would not be prosecuted, but would be cause for cancellation of service.

Edited by dave111223

If you haven't considered Chiang Mai, you may want to. IMHO it is far more scenic than BKK (for your pictures), yet still have all the stuff you would need from a big city. It's also fairly inexpensive when compared to Bangkok. It's also super easy to get around on a 125cc motorbike that can be rented very cheap. This would allow you to visit the fascinating small towns and hilltribes on the outskirts of the city. Anyway, I think the budget given by Dave would easily be cut in half. Why don't you stay a week in BKK and then a week in say Chiang Mai, and then make a decision where you want to stay for the remaining 2-1/2 months. Also, Chiang Mai also has an American Consulate to set you a little more ease with being so far from home.

If you haven't considered Chiang Mai, you may want to. IMHO it is far more scenic than BKK (for your pictures), yet still have all the stuff you would need from a big city. It's also fairly inexpensive when compared to Bangkok. It's also super easy to get around on a 125cc motorbike that can be rented very cheap. This would allow you to visit the fascinating small towns and hilltribes on the outskirts of the city. Anyway, I think the budget given by Dave would easily be cut in half. Why don't you stay a week in BKK and then a week in say Chiang Mai, and then make a decision where you want to stay for the remaining 2-1/2 months. Also, Chiang Mai also has an American Consulate to set you a little more ease with being so far from home.

As much as I love Isaan, I begrudgingly agree to a point with this post! Chiang Mai is great. Wonderful side-trips available to hill-tribes, Thailand's highest mountain (Doi Intanon), temples on the mountain, etc.

However, if you want to get away from places that a lot of "farangs" (westerners) go to, Chiang Mai isn't the place. In my three trips there, it was overrun with tourists. Isaan is definitely, "off the beaten path." A little too remote for some.

So knowing what little information I've given you, how much money would you say I need to live in Thailand for 3 months? (Including cost of a place to stay). Again, I can live fairly simple, but I do need 4 meals a day, money for tourism, maybe small trinkets to send home and cost of internet connection. I dont need the guesstimate to include cost of daily boozing and whores every night etc. as I appreciate the well being of my wingwang. :o

The costs to stay here are like saying how long is a piece of string but you have already said what you want to do here i.e. Take some good pcs.

So if i could suggest you stay in different places( small cities as you like ) ie arive in Bangkok. stay for say a few days or a week in Banglamphu, where the famous Kaosan road is. No its not the true rural thailand but it is a part of the now culture of thailand and most tourist backpackers start off here . Bangkok is full of photo shot places ,palaces, wats, spaggetti overhead power cables etc.

Move off say north to Chaing mai and chaing rai. Hire a small motor bike to get around, approx 5 dollars a day anywhere in thailand. Renting a apartment up here is say 100 dollars a month with aircon, a little extra to include electric and water say another 30 dollars. Food is cheap you can eat well everyday for 5 dollars. Yes even less..The north has wonderful mountains and is quite cool from November to Febuary average daily temp. 25 dergrees C. cooler at night.

Using buses to get around from one city to the next is cheap. I.E. bangkok to chaing rai 500 to 600 baht about 20 dollars.. Oh one point don't worry about having to find someone who can speak english so you can sort any problems out as most thais in the tourest areas know some english. All cities have hospitals of a fair standard..Cheap too but make sure you have travel insurance.

Oh yes why is your "WINGWANG" SO SPECIAL....??????? A tip condom size for thais is smaller here, thats why they love us here, our money also..Shops here sell size 49. They also sell the international size 52, so if the urge does take you check the size or bring some with you..GOOD ADVICE GUYS HEY!!! Many a guy came here for a short trip never went back or even worse was GUTTED when the jonny was too small and had to settle for a HANDJOB!!!!!!

DON'T RULE OUT GOING DOWN SOUTH TO PHUKET AS THE ISLANDS ARE BEAUTIFUL, I've just come back and you can rent a room for 20 dollars a night...Out of your budget maybe but if you live like a hermit for 2 months maybe you can go wild for one...I don't know about Issan east thailand other than what we learn in the bars( most of the bar girls come from there) so check it out with other posts..Have a great time and always smile in everysituation it will get you a long way here! You never know and don't forget this trip could change your life forever. Most come back time and time again untill they have to settle down........... :D

If he started adding in the costs of girls in Thailand, he would need twice as much money. :o

Don't forget to tell your bank (ATM) and credit card company that you will be traveling in Thailand for 3 months. Otherwise you may find your cards not working.

So knowing what little information I've given you, how much money would you say I need to live in Thailand for 3 months? (Including cost of a place to stay). Again, I can live fairly simple, but I do need 4 meals a day, money for tourism, maybe small trinkets to send home and cost of internet connection. I dont need the guesstimate to include cost of daily boozing and whores every night etc. as I appreciate the well being of my wingwang. :D

If I considered the well being of my "wingwang" then I think 10,000 baht whoring budget would do the job.......

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Of course, everyone's lifestyle and tastes are a little different.

Instead of giving a ballpark daily expense figure, I'd bring more than you think you'll need per day/per month.

You likely won't need to the extra cash but you might want to travel, or you might get sick. Just in case.

Cash, a spare credit card for an emergency, a bank card, and travelers' checks are ways to diversify you funds.

BTW, I'm from Seattle. How is the job situation, there? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Rule number 1, 2 and 3, if you want to save money on your first trip to Thailand. is DON'T fall in love. You may think thats not going to apply to you, but just wait till you get here and see how easy it is to happen. ("well she is different from all the others")

---------------

Hi Robedar,

PM me and I can connect you with someone who can help with rentals, good info and about 30 minutes outside of downtown Bangkok... :o

i 2nd to goto chiang mai

bangkok is a beast and to really do anything there and will devour huge amounts of cash

(example - entrance to Q-Bar = 700baht - entrance to spicy = free)

chaing mai is like an overgrown village that has become a city - it has everything you can ever need - but you can still get around on a motorbike