Tea Money

Last time at Immigration in Bkk I was supposed to get

my 1 yr retirement extension. I had everything in order

but they only gave me a 90 day. In fact I had everything

in order the previous visit and they gave me 30 days

first. So I felt cheated not once, but twice now.

This time I have repaid for my bank letter and medical

certificate and will be going in a few days.

If they stonewall me again, how do I show I am willing

to pay/play if only a few hundred baht will get me what I

should be getting anyway ?

Palm the red notes ?

Ask if I can pay ?

How does it work ?

I feel like I am offering a bribe and could be arrested.

Thanks

It is up to you to decide when you pay tea money. If you are 100% right on what you are doing you should not pay but if you are 99% right you should find a way to smooth things along. Sometimes you can just offer money and problems will be solved, other times you might have to pay someone to do a service for you, although they do nothing. It’s up to you to judge the situation.

Last time at Immigration in Bkk I was supposed to get

my 1 yr retirement extension. I had everything in order

but they only gave me a 90 day. In fact I had everything

in order the previous visit and they gave me 30 days

first. So I felt cheated not once, but twice now.

This time I have repaid for my bank letter and medical

certificate and will be going in a few days.

If they stonewall me again, how do I show I am willing

to pay/play if only a few hundred baht will get me what I

should be getting anyway ?

Palm the red notes ?

Ask if I can pay ?

How does it work ?

I feel like I am offering a bribe and could be arrested.

Thanks

First of all, ask them why only 90 days have been granted and whether there is the possibility to get an extension for a full year. What would be necessary to get this accomplished?

This is generally the way to go. Based on the feedback you receive you decide about the further proceeding.

Generally, contributions are not to get around the law or spared from providing necessary paperwork but to expedite and smooth the working procedures. Maybe you just thought you had everything in order but possibly something essential was missing to make you eligible for an one year permit.

When you hand you paperwork over to the officier raise the subject that the previous times only 30 and 90 days respectively were granted. Be friendly and pay respect to the authority of the officier. Ask him/her whether he/she can help you to to obtain a full year extension and what requirements or support is necessary from your side.

Never offer a bribe but rather your cooperation to provide all documentation necessary to be in accordance with the law.

Lots of luck.

Richard

It sounds as if there is something amiss if you are not being approved and have to obtain new bank letter and medical (as they should only be required for TM.7 application time). Can you provide them source for your funds ok? Perhaps there is something that they do not want to ask you but that you might be able to explain? Are you having to apply again or getting under consideration stamps?

Not trying to pick on you but others do not seem to be having this problem and Suan Plu is not known for asking tea money.

I have to apply again as my 90 days Non Imm O

extension is up.

Nothing that I can think of is missing.

The letter and bank book clearly show the funds

come from abroad.

I am dressed in a suit without tie to look presentable

but not pompous.

My TGF is with me to show I have reason to stay

and to handle Thai language here and there.

She is dressed conservatively.

If all is required is another 500B to the right guy,

I have no problem, but I don't know the right way

to do it.

Will take above suggestions or any others forthcoming.

Thanks again

You do not need a Thai girlfriend to have a one year extension of stay with 800k in a bank account so maybe there is confusion as to what you want. Wonder if they were expecting you to marry? Or was your previous visit with only a visa free 30 day entry stamp and this will be the real application for extension of stay? There is something very strange with you getting a 90 day extension of a non immigrant O visa.

Did you arrive in Thailand with a non immigrant O visa from a Consulate?

Did you apply for extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 days?

You are age 50 or more?

You have 800k in a Thai bank account that is shown as coming from overseas?

Did you fill out a TM.7 at front area and pay 1,900 baht? Both times?

You had medical certificate on other visit(s)?

Lop

Did you arrive in Thailand with a non immigrant O visa from a Consulate?

Initially I had a 60 day tourist from LA in USA which had to be converted to

the Non Imm O, which they did. Told me come back in 30 and

you will have the 1 yr ext, or at least that is what I thought they

said. Came back and they gave me the 90 days Non Imm O.

Did you apply for extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 days?

Am doing that now.

You are age 50 or more?

Yes

You have 800k in a Thai bank account that is shown as coming from overseas?

Yes

Did you fill out a TM.7 at front area and pay 1,900 baht? Both times?

Yes

You had medical certificate on other visit(s)?

Yes on the first one.

I just hate to have to do a border run if it is not necessary.

But maybe it will be fun.

We'll see how it goes early next week.

Ok think we have it now and that you are all set to get your extension of stay this time.

First visit you did not have non immigrant visa so they took care of that during the first 30 days - you then got the 90 day visa entry and you will now get the extension of stay.

Normal procedure would be to come here on a non immigrant visa that your obtain outside Thailand and then after 60-80 days apply for extension. You did not have the required visa so it has taken those extra steps. You should be on course now and have no further problems. Remember the 90 day address reports and a re-entry permit prior to any travel outside Thailand.

Ok think we have it now and that you are all set to get your extension of stay this time.

First visit you did not have non immigrant visa so they took care of that during the first 30 days - you then got the 90 day visa entry and you will now get the extension of stay.

Normal procedure would be to come here on a non immigrant visa that your obtain outside Thailand and then after 60-80 days apply for extension. You did not have the required visa so it has taken those extra steps. You should be on course now and have no further problems. Remember the 90 day address reports and a re-entry permit prior to any travel outside Thailand.

Lop. IMHO the girlfriend accompanying him, and as as a non essential ingredient in the matter of extension, the officer was a bit pissed with him. He should marry her, or go alone next time.

Normal procedure would be to come here on a non immigrant visa that your obtain outside Thailand and then after 60-80 days apply for extension.  You did not have the required visa so it has taken those extra steps.  You should be on course now and have no further problems.  Remember the 90 day address reports and a re-entry permit prior to any travel outside Thailand.

Lop. IMHO the girlfriend accompanying him, and as as a non essential ingredient in the matter of extension, the officer was a bit pissed with him. He should marry her, or go alone next time.

It probably is not a good idea, especially if younger than immigration officer; but may still be better than having a lawyer with you. :o

Think they gave him 30 day extension of tourist visa first visit and then the 90 day stay for O entry the second time and he is still here so will get the extension without problems this time.

Can other "Retired, one-year extenders" tell me what they put on the TM7 form, in answer to the question "reason(s) for extension" at the bottom of the first page?

Just curious  :o

RETIREMENT OF COZZ :D

You just put the one word there? You didn't expand it a little, like "I love Thailand and want to stay here in retirement for the rest of my life" or something like that?

It probably is not a good idea, especially if younger than immigration officer; but may still be better than having a lawyer with you.

I don't agree at all that having a lawyer (in practice a lawyer's assistant) with you is any problem at all.Suan Plu is completely used to this and I suspect welcomes the chance not to have to deal with some dopey farang (or worse his TGF) and in most cases is chummy with the legal assistant anyway from past encounters.Deal is that farang sits quietly while legal assistant buzzes around with papers.At right moment farang is called over for signature.Caveat is that legal firm must be reputable, proficient in immigration procedure and legal assistant should be a Thai.How do I know all this? Because it's what 90% of corporate expats do in their dealings with Immigration ...and I suppose why apparently so few feel they need to be members of this forum.

It probably is not a good idea, especially if younger than immigration officer; but may still be better than having a lawyer with you.

I don't agree at all that having a lawyer (in practice a lawyer's assistant) with you is any problem at all.Suan Plu is completely used to this and I suspect welcomes the chance not to have to deal with some dopey farang (or worse his TGF) and in most cases is chummy with the legal assistant anyway from past encounters.Deal is that farang sits quietly while legal assistant buzzes around with papers.At right moment farang is called over for signature.Caveat is that legal firm must be reputable, proficient in immigration procedure and legal assistant should be a Thai.How do I know all this? Because it's what 90% of corporate expats do in their dealings with Immigration ...and I suppose why apparently so few feel they need to be members of this forum.

I am specifically talking about marriage and retirement extensions where there is no need for a lawyer. Police do not like lawyers and in the case of individuals I believe they much prefer to deal directly with the person(s) involved.

I think it is very useful to follow this forum. Two weeks ago I made extension of my "retirement visa" for the second time. By reading this forum, I had learnt it is important to show where 800 000 Baht money comes from, so the bank papers told so.

For the first time in my 63 year old life I also had a medical certificate after a very thorough examination at our local hospital here in Isaan. Good to get such at my age once every year.

My thai wife accompanied me to the Immigration in Bangkok. No problem and no tee money paid.

I want to pay respect to those people, who are working very hard here to answer all kind of questions regarding visas.

Thank You!

Olaus

I am specifically talking about marriage and retirement extensions where there is no need for a lawyer. Police do not like lawyers and in the case of individuals I believe they much prefer to deal directly with the person(s) involved.

I was going to defer to you on this as I have no experience of marriage and retirement extensions.Then I saw your comment about policemen not liking lawyers, and realised you were blathering.Suan Plu is chock a block with lawyer's agents -not lawyers themselves as I previously pointed out -who have generally a friendly and workmanlike relationship with the Immigration officials.I suspect that in case of marriage/retirement extensions like everything else, if rules are followed and correct papers produced Immigration is very expeditious and efficient.Sometimes complex to put this all together for a farang,so Thai agent can be useful and save time.

I was going to defer to you on this as I have no experience of marriage and retirement extensions.Then I saw your comment about policemen not liking lawyers, and realised you were blathering.Suan Plu is chock a block with lawyer's agents -not lawyers themselves as I previously pointed out -who have generally a friendly and workmanlike relationship with the Immigration officials.I suspect that in case of marriage/retirement extensions like everything else, if rules are followed and correct papers produced Immigration is very expeditious and efficient.Sometimes complex to put this all together for a farang,so Thai agent can be useful and save time.

I do not believe I am talking foolish but you are free to have that opinion if you so feel. But I have seen reactions of Immigration to these people and stand by my statement. Division 3 home page in large red type reads in part:

- Please beware of a person who claims to render assistance in visa extension at immigration bureau. Such act is illegal.

- Any inquiry or witness any act relating to such matter please contact [email protected]

- If you wish to stay in Thailand after your visa has expired, contact the nearest immigration unit in person for advice.

I do not believe I am talking foolish but you are free to have that opinion if you so feel. But I have seen reactions of Immigration to these people and stand by my statement. Division 3 home page in large red type reads in part:

- Please beware of a person who claims to render assistance in visa extension at immigration bureau. Such act is illegal.

- Any inquiry or witness any act relating to such matter please contact [email protected]

- If you wish to stay in Thailand after your visa has expired, contact the nearest immigration unit in person for advice.

I don't think you are "talking foolish" but your judgement is I am afraid a little suspect.Take the large red type quote you refer to for example.It's clearly alluding to illegal visa agents etc and not to lawyers and/or their representatives.By the way in any argument, it's excruciatingly feeble to say " you are free to have that opinion if you so feel".

Incidentally I don't suggest at all that legal help is always needed at Immigration even in the so called difficult areas.I have a few friends who successfully negotiated the whole permanent residence process single handedly.However in all cases they had senior management status and well paying jobs and tax history,excellent command of Thai language, riaproi demeanour etc (and not a legal Thai wife between them).

How do I know all this? Because it's what 90% of corporate expats do in their dealings with Immigration ...and I suppose why apparently so few feel they need to be members of this forum.

Sure sounds like the "corporate expats" are in a league of their own. In other words,these lawyers represent the corporation more so than the individual expat. The expats in this case can just sit back and "let the company handle it". We retirees(or marrieds for that matter) are an entirely different entity. Also,no mention has been made as to how much these mouthpieces cost,or how to be assured of finding a competent one. I agree with Lop's assessment of the situation as it applies to retirees.

I also totally concur with Dr.P's comment about the TGF being non essential to the renewal process. but to have a Thai imm. officer (or anyone else) think that I "should be married"......That,to put it politely as possible,is way beyond arrogant!

[/quote=lopburi3]

I do not believe I am talking foolish but you are free to have that opinion if you so feel....]

I have read a lot of "lopburi3" posts and find them to be pretty much right on and very helpful. However, I am one of the "married" ones who use a lawyer for my "non-immigrant O, support Thai wife", and yes it is his office assistant who accompanies me and my wife to immigration. I suppose it goes back to the old days when I worked for a large company in Bangkok and we used this same Law Firm. For sure, with some work, I could do this on my own (many/most? people do), but I choose to use the lawyer for my "own piece of mind" that everything is in order. I live too far from Bangkok to make expensive/continuous trips to immigration to get it "right", so I depend on the Law firm to get it right for me. Is it is expensive service, yes, 20,000 Baht! I think if I shopped around I could find a less expensive lawyer, but for now, or until I feel more comfortable to do it on my own, I'll use the service.

Still, cheers to "lopburi" for the great posts.

I have read a lot of "lopburi3" posts and find them to be pretty much right on and very helpful.

As the great late Frankie Howard used to say "one shouldn't mock the afflicted."

Are you into public relations Boris ?

Dr P, You are right.I should be more charitable especially when dealing with usuallysensible coves like Lopburi even if he was illinformed on this occasion.So cheers Lopburi for all the great posts.

Well since I started this thread, I will finish the story.

Everything went smoothly at Suan Plu today and I have

my first 1 yr retirement extension of a Non Imm O Visa.

It took three trips after I had my bank letter and med certificate.

The reason it took two trips was that I started with a Tourist Visa.

So one trip was for conversion to Non Imm O.

It may be that the third trip was because when I went back

for the 1 yr extension, I went back to the 3rd floor "Change

of Visa" Room as instructed. But since I had a Non Imm O

already in my passport, I could have just gone to Room 102

like everyone else.

Anyway, it really was easy once you have your ducks all

lined up.

Next lesson is to try the 90 day reporting by registered mail.

It sounds very strange to me.

Generally these matters are routine if you have the paperwork.

The only things I can see are:

He started with a tourist visa and this was converted - can't see why that should matter.

The girl friend went as well - did she say something to upset matters?

My experience, at a local office, not Suan Plu, is that the officer will tell you if something is missing, so that the application goes through smoothly.

I would suggest a return visit with a polite request as to why he only got 3 months, not a year.

If necessary ask to see the superior officer.

Well since I started this thread, I will finish the story.

Everything went smoothly at Suan Plu today and I have

my first 1 yr retirement extension of a Non Imm O Visa.

It took three trips after I had my bank letter and med certificate.

The reason it took two trips was that I started with a Tourist Visa.

So one trip was for conversion to Non Imm O.

It may be that the third trip was because when I went back

for the 1 yr extension, I went back to the 3rd floor "Change

of Visa" Room as instructed. But since I had a Non Imm O

already in my passport, I could have just gone to Room 102

like everyone else.

Anyway, it really was easy once you have your ducks all

lined up.

Next lesson is to try the 90 day reporting by registered mail.

I just did the 90 day report by "EMS" two weeks ago. Worked fine and I got all the paperwork back in my stamped envelope a few days ago. My only concern was getting the "stuff" back as the mail system in my village sucks to say the least. So for the return, I used a post office box in the "big city" of Kolat for my return address and it worked great.

I have read a lot of "lopburi3" posts and find them to be pretty much right on and very helpful.

As the great late Frankie Howard used to say "one shouldn't mock the afflicted."

Are you into public relations Boris ?

Dr P, You are right.I should be more charitable especially when dealing with usuallysensible coves like Lopburi even if he was illinformed on this occasion.So cheers Lopburi for all the great posts.

Thanks for that Boris. It is a thankless task answering the same questions day in and day out. :o