Who Knows This Law

In Texas you can shoot and kill intruders on your private property even if they are unarmed.

In Spain if someone armed comes on your property and you kill them in self defence you go to jail.

A man in Australia some years ago was being robbed often enough for him to electrify his doors with 240 volts, a burgular was shocked and paralised, the man went to Jail.

Uk someone told me that if you catch a burgular in your house and assault him you will go to jail for assault.

I would rather live in Texas I think.

Whats the Thai law on this as i want to know how much security should i get............

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Texas you can shoot and kill intruders on your private property even if they are unarmed.

In Spain if someone armed comes on your property and you kill them in self defence you go to jail.

A man in Australia some years ago was being robbed often enough for him to electrify his doors with 240 volts, a burgular was shocked and paralised, the man went to Jail.

Uk someone told me that if you catch a burgular in your house and assault him you will go to jail for assault.

Whats the Thai law on this as i want to know how much security should i get............

This doesn't really answer your question but I understand that holders of firearms with appropriate permit, (which normally restricts to the place of residence) are allowed to use them against an intruder. This follows that other forms of force may be allowed, although I'm not sure about electrified fencing (probably wouldn't be working half the time). I have this from a normally reliable Thai source.

This doesn't really answer your question but I understand that holders of firearms with appropriate permit, (which normally restricts to the place of residence) are allowed to use them against an intruder. This follows that other forms of force may be allowed, although I'm not sure about electrified fencing (probably wouldn't be working half the time). I have this from a normally reliable Thai source.

Thats how I understand it as well on firearms anyhow

Doubt it'd ever reach the police...

Well if you subdue an intruder until the police arrives, you must have used some force (not talking guns).I have never heard or read of someone in Thailand being charged for doing this.

After Sunset, on your property, as a Thai National, use of permitted firearms is not illegal and used to be rather common!

In the early years it was also common that locals in remote areas, Ko Samui f.e. well into the nineties, took the law into their hands....

if someone broke into my house they will end up having a short ride in my boot and being dumped off somewhere, with a bat around there head and a tazer gun hanging off there balls.....................

dont break into my house because I am ready :o

As a Thaiperson you can kill an intruder on your property, with or without a gun.

how do you know that? are you a Thai guy or have you studied Thai law? :D

I want a 2nd opinion before I put someone down who was walking around my house at night. :o

I want a 2nd opinion before I put someone down who was walking around my house at night. :o

I catch someone prowling around my house at night who is NOT an immediate family member, and that person will hurt. I protect me and mine. If someone breaks in to my house, I personally do not care what the law says about their rights, or if they're Thai or not; they are going down. There's lots of places to dispose of bodies out in my area. Gotta love swamps!

I had this covo with hubby (thai) not too long ago, & he was of the opinion that on your property you can do what you like if the person is messing with you or yours & that the police tend to not pursue cases too much if a burgler gets messed up by an irate home owner. All within reason though, so just shooting someone who was outside wouldn't be allowed & you would get taken in & prosecuted but if they are in the house & with some kind of weapon you could pretty much do anything!!! Pretty same as in UK too. old mate of mine in the met told me that if I attacked a burgler I cought in my house then just make sure a kitchen knife was placed on them once they were down to avoid prosecution & prove it was self defense & also helped if you put a tv or dvd player next to them too!!! :o

My police friends from the range I practice at say try to get it done with 2 or 3 shots. "Emptying the magazine looks excessive." "Try to use judgement." "5 shots to the head doesn't look like self defense." "Maybe a two chest shots and one in the gut, so you don't look like that good a shot." "Make sure everything looks 'reasonable' before you call the police."

:o

My police friends from the range I practice at say try to get it done with 2 or 3 shots. "Emptying the magazine looks excessive." "Try to use judgement." "5 shots to the head doesn't look like self defense." "Maybe a two chest shots and one in the gut, so you don't look like that good a shot." "Make sure everything looks 'reasonable' before you call the police."

:D

What a Country this is... :o

This is all classical stuff and very informative, i like the " one in the gut" bit.

I cant stop laughing was that a joke or are you serious?

Also seems like you might know,

where can i get a fire arm? legaly. ****

What sort of questions might they ask me why I want it?

(in some countries you just say your shootng snakes or vermin and for protection)

Can you get permits for hand guns here?

Trouble is when you get robbed in Thailand its usualy about 3 or 4 guys yes, but hard to shoot 4 of them, guess you shoot one in the gut and the others run away, or they shoot you back, shiiiiiit what if they got guns too, live by the sword die by the sword, but i really guess that if you cornered a robber they would be carrying knives, your probably going to get stabbed i would say.

Nothing worse than getting stabbed, cold horibble feeling having cold steel stuck in your gut, you can smell the blood as its going in.

Best to have a gun just in case.

As a Thaiperson you can kill an intruder on your property, with or without a gun.

how do you know that? are you a Thai guy or have you studied Thai law? :D

Does seem that the concensus is you can protect your self and property if an intruder is in your house, but yes need a second opinion on wacking someone over the head and killing them late night inside your house.

We all need to consider this, Thai people are usualy smaller than Farang, if they are robbing your house and of course they will be robbing a Farangs house, they will carry protection incase the big fat Farang catches them, they will have knives and you will be stabbed if you corner them. So you have only 2 options as i see it, let them take everythng and you hide in the cupboard, or have the cabability to win the fight without getting hurt, only way to do that is to have a gun. We all need a gun, robberys are getting worse, so many that never make this forum and the police wont tell you. Ohh yeah the police offered me protection for 5,000/month, what do you think of that???????? i thought my friends said 500 / week, but it was 5000 / month. Wonder if Chubb have the camera security and come when alarms go off.

What an interesting thread to read !

I see quite a few people craving to enjoy the pleasure of killing ...

In civilized countries, there is a principle of measured force, no one (even the police) can exert a force that is totally disproportionned with the "offence" commited (or supposedly commited) !

And, for the sharp shooters here, I hope their "property" (grrr, wha !) is well flagged, that it is surrounded by 10m high walls and/or barbed wires because if ever a child comes to take back a lost football, he will surely (and happily) be put to death ...

This is all classical stuff and very informative, i like the " one in the gut" bit.

I cant stop laughing was that a joke or are you serious?

Also seems like you might know,

where can i get a fire arm? legaly. ****

What sort of questions might they ask me why I want it?

It's not quoted verbatim but that's the gist of the advice I've heard. Keep in mind that they were talking about shooting intruders who are possibly/probably armed... not dinner/party guests who want to keep drinking into the wee hours.

If you are a foreigner who has acquired Thai citizenship, then yes, you can legally own a firearm. You'll need to show them the usual house registration, id card, bank passbook showing 1 million Baht or up (to show that you're not about to go rob a bank or gold shop), ... and they'll sometimes ask for supporting material such as a gun club membership, interview with a close friend or neighbor, perhaps your employer or any employees you might have. A bit more of a hassle than going to Walmart and showing your driver license and going home with a rifle or shotgun or coming back in 5 days to pick up your handgun, but not too much trouble. Takes like 30 days here.

It's against forum policy to advise you where you can get a firearm illegally but the LOS is indeed awash in illegal guns.

Of the farangland referances - I understand that 'measured' force will not incur legal redress being carried out against you - excessive or premeditated use of force is a problem.

Shooting a thief running away from your house is a problem - shooting him in the legs as he approached you is not a problem - I believe in the later case the householder said in court, "...I discharged the weapon - both barrels as I feared for my life and wanted to make the weapon safe as his came towards me, it was an accident that the barrel of the gun was lined up with his legs..." the defence was accepted.

Shooting someone in the back is clearly revenge farang courts don't like that.

With regard to Thai law and intruders - I read on here (Issan forum?) about a case were someone was having a problem with a Thai man at the boarder of a man's property - the Thai police said that if the offender entered the property the owner could defend himself and his property using whatever was close to hand. (As a remember...)

It's against forum policy to advise you where you can get a firearm illegally but the LOS is indeed awash in illegal guns.

Indeed, and asking for information on where to get an illegal gun is also against forum rules, so if the thread continues in that vein, it will be deleted.

Ok, so foreigners cannot own a gun legally in Thailand. But, if you are married to a Thai national your wife or Husband can own a gun, so you could get around the law that way.

Maybe the better thing to do is, if broken into and you come face to face with a robber, you can shoot him, and when he is dead, kick more living daylights out of him :o so he is bruised and battered. Then you can say he broke in and was carrying a gun, you were lucky to overpower him but he got shot in the process.

Just have to remember to put his prints all over the gun.

But like I said in an earlier post, if that happened to me I would wrap him up and drop him off somewhere out of town. Plenty of options really, how would they be able to trace it back to you? As long as no one sees you drop him off, and you clean the blood up well it should be ok