Horrendous Visa Run

MsSabai, which travel agent in Thongsala did you book this trip through?

Mr Dtoy (by the pier). Never had a problem with him before but to be honest I haven't booked my visa run from TS in a while as for the last year I didn't have to do them.

Going to take great pleasure in teling him all the delightful things the evil little munchkin said about him though when he had apparently 'booked me on the worng minibus' (her excuse for why I couldn't get a bus). "MR DTOY VERY VERY STUPID MAN"!!

i'm doing a visa run tonight. which travel shop did you book it from so i can avoid it?

Where are you going? Burma or Penang?

Mr Dtoy (by the pier). Never had a problem with him before but to be honest I haven't booked my visa run from TS in a while as for the last year I didn't have to do them.

I'm going there now (Wed midday), to let Mr Dtoy know it's not good for his reputation to deal with dishonest/aggressive travel agents.

mssabai, you booked the trip through a travel agent here on the island? You should let him or her know about the crazed driver. And be sure to let the agent know that you are a long-term resident, not a tourist and that if this continues you will not be booking with their agency anymore.

long term resident? then stay here legally. I havent done a visa run in 11 years. no workpermit? no visa? no rights. that is the heart of your problem

Gross assumptions there t.s. Not everyone is eligible for an extension of stay. If you don't have any knowledge of someone's situation, please don't make assumptions about their status.

mssabai, you booked the trip through a travel agent here on the island? You should let him or her know about the crazed driver. And be sure to let the agent know that you are a long-term resident, not a tourist and that if this continues you will not be booking with their agency anymore.

long term resident? then stay here legally. I havent done a visa run in 11 years. no workpermit? no visa? no rights. that is the heart of your problem

visa runs are legal. i stay here legally and do them every 3 months. if i didn't then i'd be here illegally.

i'm doing a visa run tonight. which travel shop did you book it from so i can avoid it?

Where are you going? Burma or Penang?

Burma

Burma

If there is a group of you, you can get a shared taxi once you get off the night boat. If not book from any travel agent in KP (all they are is a broker for the Surat agent). They will give you a voucher with your Surat agents name on it but just make sure your ticket is not with Chaw Wang. Don't try and find your own when you get there cos it is 5am and usually she is the only (or at least the most vocal) agent touting for new business. You usually also pay the same price from Surat as you do from KP but you would have already paid for the night boat yourself (300b). In KP this will be included.

I have never lived or worked in this country illegally. I have a work permit and a non-imm B, but with my particular company at this particular time I am not eligible for an extension of stay and I therefore have to go to Malaysia every 3 months rather than my local imm office, as I did in my last job.

Count yourself lucky, though rather ignorant. There are thousands of people working here in the same position.

Be careful MsSabai, Jose will go to this Travel Agent and speak to him... :D

I am rather touched at that actually. Jose riding his white horse from Ban Tai to Tong Sala. You are my hero :o . Why aren't you going with im Steve eh?

Most people that have to do Visa runs are aware they are coming up months in advance, Book a shared taxi with like minded people.

Maybe there can be a pinned thread on the relevant forum where people can arrange to meet and get a more relaxed private run done.

Another option is Budget rent a car or similar, they will meet you at the pier the car is 1200bht for 24hrs insured add the seatran crossing to Donsak 450 bht and fuel between 4 or 5 people its not to much money you travel your own schedule and have a laugh to boot.

Personally I vowed years ago to not use private Minibus services in Thailand after several real bad experiences, including near death at the whim of some drug induced one eyed A hole driver.

I understand some people want to get back for work and other reasons so speed to some is important,But I find it sad that many cant bear to away for an extra day spend a night in a cheap hotel and take in some Local Thai hospitality on the way .

Is the saving being made worth this kind of bad service or risking your life ?

As for the driver in the OPS original post most out of order, I would of probably developed acute car sickness and vomited on him at the end of the journey.....

sorry mssabai that sucks! i definitely think it was yaba and telling as many people about it as you can will help (as long as you never go back to their service again!)

Edited by girlx

I use a guy called bin Laden. He has a number of private vehicles that go to Malaysia (Satun) or Ranong.

I went the other day from KPG. Catch the 5.00 am ferry to Donsak, he is waiting. We drive down in a comfortable AC Toyota, do the business and back at Donsak to catch the 4.00 ferry back to KPG and home by 7.00

Three people costs 4500 baht for the car hire (1500 each) plus 220 pp each way in the ferry. Very quick and very comfortable.

Bookings and groupings can be made in the diary at John the Pieman's restaurant in Thong Sala on the Woktum Rd about 100 m past Masons.

I too have used a service via a Mr B Laden, although this was in December 2005. I needed to get me and three friends I was meeting off a flight from Surat Thani airport to Don Sak in time for the 14:00 ferry to Ko Pha Ngan (I was recommended his services by an English person who I know has lived long time on the island).

The pressure was on, as my friends had all been promised a sunset beer on the beach at Haad Yao in return for not stopping over for a day in Bkk after flying from England, and I wanted to keep my promise!

Our man was on the end of his phone in arrivals as I had previously arranged (he'd already clocked us before I rang him), and whisked us to Don Sak at high speed in a modern japanese saloon, but without scaring anyone.

I paid him the agreed fee, shook his hand and we made the ferry (amazingly, given the speed of our transfer, there was another couple I had noticed at the airport also in Don Sak, getting on the same ferry - so Mr B Laden was not the fastest!). If I ever need to, I would call him again.

And the sunset and beer went down well, although my friends were so whacked from the whole journey I had to go to Jack's Bar alone later in the night!

Happy days!

Ady :o

• 3 years later...
Mssabai, I am perplexed. Why go all the way there when you can take Julie's visa run to Satun in a day? Sure, you need to be in Samui early on the day you need to make the trip, but a night in Samui wouldn't kill you.

Penang trip...not a border run. Next time it's the train down and the night bus back, don't worry - I have it all planned!

Check Firefly, last time I spent 3000 baht for a return ticket.

Just an update. Firefly no longer offer direct Koh Samui to Penang flights. If you want to fly with them you'll have to go Koh Samui to Kuala Lumpur. And the prices are substantially higher. Pay special attention to the taxes, as they will effectively double the cost of the fare. Last I checked, return Koh Samui / KL would run around 8-9k baht if you book ahead, 12k+ baht if you book close to departure.

Mssabai, I am perplexed. Why go all the way there when you can take Julie's visa run to Satun in a day? Sure, you need to be in Samui early on the day you need to make the trip, but a night in Samui wouldn't kill you.

Penang trip...not a border run. Next time it's the train down and the night bus back, don't worry - I have it all planned!

Check Firefly, last time I spent 3000 baht for a return ticket.

Just an update. Firefly no longer offer direct Koh Samui to Penang flights. If you want to fly with them you'll have to go Koh Samui to Kuala Lumpur. And the prices are substantially higher. Pay special attention to the taxes, as they will effectively double the cost of the fare. Last I checked, return Koh Samui / KL would run around 8-9k baht if you book ahead, 12k+ baht if you book close to departure.

This thread is four years old.

If you buy a ticket at Firefly's office on Samui you will get it for 4500 baht return to KL.

Poorsucker, thats simply not the case is it. On any normal day you'll pay roughly between 8500 to 9500 return on Firefly from Samui to KL return.

Its only when theres a special promotion that you'll get a return flight for anything remotely close to 45oo baht.

Firefly is a good service but generally speaking its certainly not a cheap option

The price is only that high if you book at the last minute. Flights booked 1 month in advance or more are typically around 2500-3000 baht each way.

Not when i've tried. However, i'll pop down there today and check it out and i'll let you know.

Edited by carmine

…next time just fly, if it's not in your budget you really need to ask yourself what are you doing working in Thailand ?

Why?????

Good question.

Yeah, good question. Why ???? Answer forthcoming ?

coffee1.gif Well???

This topic is 4 years old, the question asked has nothing to do with original post.

If you wish to fly you can also try Air Asia from Suratthani. Any further inquiries please start a fresh topic.