Air Asia: How Low Can You Go?

menostay

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying out of Phuket to BKK... EVERYONE was getting stung for the excess baggage.

...the scales said I was 7 or 8 kg overweight - I did a bit of rearranging and got my weight down to the the alloted 10kg (exactly on the scale).

Flew straight out on my connection BKK to Chiang Mai flight...

... and guess what...?

The scales at BKK airport said I was 2kg UNDER the permitted weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is it possible that my bags shrank in weight during the brief flight??? Yah, more likely that Phuket have calibrated their scales to increase the weight and cash in even more on unsuspecting travellers.

I had that too.

My bags were overweight in Phuket and weighed in just fine in Bangkok. Definitely some dodgy practices going on in Phuket.

But I also have sympathy with the 45Kg Thai and 90Kg farang argument so who knows what is really fair :o

JJ.

before proceeding to AirAsia check-in-desk, check the weight of your luggage at another airline's counter to find out. if its over 15 Kg, u still can try to move something to ur hand-luggage.

did so flying SUB - JHB and KUL - BKK this week, the scale showed 15,2 kg and 15,1 kg at those two airports, and nobody charged me extra.

my handluggage though might be small in volume, but is usually 15-20 Kg when flying AirAsia. never had probloems, cause its sooooooooooo small (business-case and a plastic bag) by size

they want to be cheated, so dont be morally concerned. after more than 100 flights with them, I know how to play the game.... u should do same....

I hate AirAsia, and I love them....

Who really want to fly with these kind of airlines anyhow. They are hardly any cheaper than Thai Airways (f you take a promotion, which is subject to the same restrictions as on Air Asia or one two go, you hav inexperienced children on the plane doing a job which they cannot handle and eventually will get you killed in the case of an accident. The emergency exits are to be handled by passengers and are blocked by two seats? And that for a handful of dollars price difference... WOW! By the way why complaining about 125 baht or so in surcharge? it is nothing isn't it? The tip in the restaurant at the airport will be around the same.

Oh my word! That is so wrong - how can they get away with being so racist? I just can't understand it. I would have felt awful had that happened to me. And if it did...I'd be making a big deal about it!

Arrrgh. That is just so closed minded, I really don't get it. It's not about the amount - it's about the situation. Can you even imagine if the opposite happened in America or Europe!?

This a excerpt from News.com/au

And they do seem a bit heavy when you lift them on the scales at the airport check-in for the flight home.

"Sorry," says the woman on the other side of the counter. "You're overweight. I'll have to charge you for the excess."

You reach for you wallet: "How much is it?"

"Let's see," she says, consulting a charge sheet. "$48."

"That's fine."

"No, that's $48 a kilogram. You're 8kg over the limit – that will be $384."

Make no mistake about it: excess baggage charges hit travellers hard and, unfortunately, by the time you've reached this stage, there's not much you can do other than cough up or open your suitcase and start throwing away heavy items.

Qantas calculates charges based on a zone system, with Zone 1 being up to 1000 miles (yes, airlines still use miles), with excess baggage charges at $12 per kilogram, ranging through Zone 2 (from 1000 to 3000 miles) at $18 and so on, until you reach Zone 6 – anything over 9000 miles – at $48.

Read full story here.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,2605...4-36335,00.html

And so many of you whungers being miserable over 3 - 4 bucks.........<deleted>.

Getta life.

Air asia was voted Airline of the Year, 2007.

I have flown AA for nigh on 5 years, once paid 150 baht in excess, did not know at the time, allowance had been reduced to 15 ks.

I agree the hassle of having to go back to airline service desk, but so what.

Ya gets wot ya pays for, I like it for the price.

on this topic one can clearly make out: some people (poor victims, lambs & pigs) get fuc_ked more often than other people (evil villains, wolves). which group do you want to belong to?

Edited by scyriacus

Took a friend to the airport in Chiang Mai this afternoon. He luggage was 1.5 kilos overweight. To pay for this overage he was instructed to go to the ticket office, stand in line, pay for the overcharge at 86 baht per kilo and then return to the check in counter and stand in line again with proof that he had paid the charge. Not enough of an insult? Read on....

In the line at the ticket office was a lady ahead of him that was paying the "Thai price" for her overcharge of a miniscule amount of weight----at just 50 baht per kilo.

1.5 Kilos @ 86 baht = 129 baht.

1.5 kilos @ 50 baht =75 baht.

So, the additional price just for being a farang with the overage is 54 baht. I do not know what to say other than: How petty! How disgusting! How revealing of your narrow minded company policy!

If this forum is read by people who make policy for the airline may you rest assured that unless it is a dire situation you will never, ever again get a fare from me, or mine, or those that I influence.

Must be stupid:

-the one who believes that any big company as Air Asia overcharges farangs

-the one who believes that Thai airways prices are the same as Air Asia

-the one who believes that other airlines are safer than Air asia

but also the one who complains when he should just put the heavy goods in his carry on bag, and many others...

The decision to charge for excess weight seems to be at the discretion of the agent at the check-in counter. I was once told by an agent that there was a 2 kg "grace" amount. That is, no extra charge for bags under 17 kg. This may have been her personal policy, though. If another person in the payment line was charged only 50 baht/kg as the OP stated, this might have been a discretionary call made by the agent as a "courtesy" to a local. I sincerely doubt that there is an official dual-pricing scheme. From my experience, I've been charged (or not) depending upon the agent's mood, how many customers are in line, how full they think the flight is, etc.

All airlines are scrambling to generate more revenue that goes straight to the bottom line in an effort to partially offset increasing fuel costs. AirAsia's fee for checked bags that went into effect last week is one example. Enforcing the existing policy that calls for overweight baggage fees is a no-brainer for them, and I would expect to be charged for each kg over 15 going forward.

I'm always amazed by the complaints I hear at the airport when people are charged for excess baggage weight. When you make your booking, you must tick a box on the web page that indicates that you've read and understand the airline's policies regarding fares, baggage and fees. How could an excess baggage charge be a surprise to these people when they've said they understand the policy and charges before they purchase their ticket? Shame on them if they don't bother to click the link to display the policy before ticking the box.

As to the comments regarding Thai Airways being priced similarly to AirAsia, I've never seen any examples of this. I've flown AirAsia dozens of times, and each time, I always check the fare on Thai Airways prior to booking. From bookings within a few days, to a couple of months out, I've never seen a Thai Airways fare that's less than 150% of the AirAsia fare once all taxes and surcharges are included. More often than not, the Thai Airways fare is about double the fare on AirAsia. I would love to fly Thai Airways since I'd get frequent flyer miles through their Star Alliance affiliation, and can book connecting flights on the same itinerary, but just can't justify the 100% difference in fares.

1. The only airline I would consider for a domestic flight is Bangkok Airways, their safety record is the best of the bunch (I wonder why???)

2. It is not the amount that gets double charged to farangs, at airports or anywhere, it's the principle. Apart from anything else it is racist. Any farang condoning it underlines Thai racist attitudes that all farangs are rich. This in turn stimulates crime against farangs by those Thais who swallow the line.

ok, so maybe changing the subject a little; but we're on our way to Phuket - international flight to BKK and then Air Asia domestically:

What is the allowance for Air Asia?

P.s. - Farang prices only 79 Baht higher than the local price - he got off lightly :D

Only kidding, please don't get all PC on me :o

If my Air Asia flight (transiting KL) arrives in time to make an earlier connection than that paid for, will they allow me to take it if seats are available? Or is it just not even worth asking? I have been told to allow 3 hours to transit between Air Asia flights. Is that an absolute? Thanks.

So winning here will enable you to change the company's policy?

Personally, we know AirAsia's cheap, and you know 'cheap' comes in different forms.

if you paid less, then expect to be treated worse, receiving bad service and so on.

I'd avoid AirAsia and look for something that isnt low-cost if I can as I can expect a lot of better service, sweet smiles, better meals and the likes. :o

Edited by Seizhin

Air Asia will never get a satang from me. There are options.

Third rate airline and operations. :D

My wife and I just enjoyed flights on Air Asia and Nok Air , both for the first time and IMHO the flight crew and plan were as good if not better than Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways and for the money they were great. :o

The OP, in addition to the double pricing, also complained about having to leave the queue and join another at the ticket desk and then rejoin the check in queue. In my experience this is normal and has happened to me with Malaysian and PB Air. If they allowed the check in counters to handle excess baggage charges they are throwing themselves open to scamming by the check in staff. Having all monetary transactions done at the ticket counter, whilst not entirely ruling out scams, does at least make it easier to monitor commercial operations (plus it ensures the airline benefits from scams :o ).

Must be stupid:

I just picked a day at random. July 1 Bangkok to Chiang Mai, return July 2.

Thai Airways Hot Deals, booked through their website: 4,380.00 THB total including taxes

Air Asia: 3,242.10 THB + 30x2 THB for 1 checked bag + 200 THB x 2 for express boarding + 430 THB x 2 overweight (15kg -> 20kg) = 4562.10 THB

Like you say, the person who said you can get a Thai Airways promotion ticket for the same price was stupid, because the Thai Airways ticket is actually cheaper. At least he's not a retard like you and the other retards who blindly think you're getting a good deal for Air Asia's crap service when actually you may be paying more than a full service airline. That Air Asia price was also a discounted ticket. If it was a full priced ticket it wouldn't even be close. The question I want to know is why there are there so many retards out there praising this piece of crap airline?

GeorgeW makes a good point about the prices, but if you take the late night flight back to bangkok you save 650 baht.

Nor do you need express boarding, saving a further 400 baht

So the Air Asia flight could be 3512 Baht compared to Thai Air 4380 Baht.

On the other hand the snack is free on Thai air..................

You really do have to pick your airline depending on your needs. No baggage for a quick trip to Chiang Mai and Air Asia would normally win all hands down. Doing an international connection with 23Kg of baggage and Thai Air can win.

Must be stupid:

Thai Airways Hot Deals, booked through their website: 4,380.00 THB total including taxes

Air Asia: 3,242.10 THB + 30x2 THB for 1 checked bag + 200 THB x 2 for express boarding + 430 THB x 2 overweight (15kg -> 20kg) = 4562.10 THB

Like you say, the person who said you can get a Thai Airways promotion ticket for the same price was stupid, because the Thai Airways ticket is actually cheaper. At least he's not a retard like you and the other retards who blindly think you're getting a good deal for Air Asia's crap service when actually you may be paying more than a full service airline. That Air Asia price was also a discounted ticket. If it was a full priced ticket it wouldn't even be close. The question I want to know is why there are there so many retards out there praising this piece of crap airline?

Cut and pasted from the Air Asia website a few minutes ago...

Same day, same destinations, the cheapest and the most expensive tickets are listed below... :o

Your TravelGoing Out

Bangkok (BKK) to Chiang Mai (CNX)

01 Jul 2008 FD 3238

Departs 1045 Arrives 1155

1621.05 BT

Going Out

FD 3238 - Depart BKK 10:45 AM 07/01/08

Arrive CNX 11:55 AM 07/01/08

Coming Back

Chiang Mai (CNX) to Bangkok (BKK)

02 Jul 2008 FD 3243

Departs 2050 Arrives 2155

925.55 BT

Coming Back

FD 3243 - Depart CNX 8:50 PM 07/02/08

Arrive BKK 9:55 PM 07/02/08

Going Out Total 1,621.05 THB Going Out Total 1,621.05 THB 1 Guest @ 750.00 750.00 THB

Airport Tax 100.00 THB Insurance Surcharge 50.00 THB Administration Fee 65.00 THB Value Added Tax 106.05 THB Fuel Surcharge 550.00 THB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming Back Total 925.55 THB Coming Back Total 925.55 THB 1 Guest @ 100.00 100.00 THB

Airport Tax 100.00 THB Insurance Surcharge 50.00 THB Administration Fee 65.00 THB Value Added Tax 60.55 THB Fuel Surcharge 550.00 THB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Package Price

2,546.60 THB

Your TravelGoing Out

01 Jul 2008 FD 3234

Departs 1250 Arrives 1400

1621.05 BT

Going Out

FD 3234 - Depart BKK 12:50 PM 07/01/08

Arrive CNX 2:00 PM 07/01/08

Coming Back

02 Jul 2008 FD 3241

Departs 1705 Arrives 1815

1621.05 BT

Coming Back

FD 3241 - Depart CNX 5:05 PM 07/02/08

Arrive BKK 6:15 PM 07/02/08

Going Out Total 1,621.05 THB Going Out Total 1,621.05 THB 1 Guest @ 750.00 750.00 THB

Airport Tax 100.00 THB Insurance Surcharge 50.00 THB Administration Fee 65.00 THB Value Added Tax 106.05 THB Fuel Surcharge 550.00 THB

Coming Back Total 1,621.05 THB Coming Back Total 1,621.05 THB 1 Guest @ 750.00 750.00 THB

Total Package Price

3,242.10 THB

So to make your figures stack up you had to resort to adding 400 baht for express boarding and 860 baht for extra baggage so you could bump up the fare higher than Thai Airways, conveniently ignoring the fact that not everyone has excess baggage and few pay for express boarding as well as ignoring other cheaper flights available on the same day.

If my Air Asia flight (transiting KL) arrives in time to make an earlier connection than that paid for, will they allow me to take it if seats are available? Or is it just not even worth asking? I have been told to allow 3 hours to transit between Air Asia flights. Is that an absolute? Thanks.

Yep, I use Air asia alla time.

Make ya bookings as required.

I get to airport early if I have time, check at counter if it is possible to get earier flite.

More often than not a seat is availanle, if there are "No shows".

One is asked to wait nearby, they call ya up if a seat is not claimed.

Only hassle is you may not be able to check in ya larger bag, you have to take it in cabin.

Great, no excess weight charge, and no wait on deplanning, just walk out whilst others wait for bags.

Neva knock Air Asia, luv 'em.

Edited by Zpete

So to make your figures stack up you had to resort to adding 400 baht for express boarding and 860 baht for extra baggage so you could bump up the fare higher than Thai Airways, conveniently ignoring the fact that not everyone has excess baggage and few pay for express boarding as well as ignoring other cheaper flights available on the same day.

Also, Express boarding on Air Asia is only 100 Bt (not 400)

Must be stupid:

Just a few observations:

1. If you are travelling for 1 day from BKK to CM (return), would you necessarily be carrying 20kg of check-in luggage - or perhaps if you wanted to fly AA, you would restrict yourself to 15kg to take advantage of the lower fare.

2. When I checked the fare it was 1621 + 925 - a fair bit short of 3242.

3. I also checked the excess baggage charge, which seems to be 825 (5 x 165). Quite different to 430, but also see 1. above.

4. I searched the AA website for a full priced ticket, but it seems they only sell "discounted" tickets. Quite a shock really, considering they are a Low Cost Carrier.

5. I guess there are retards, and retards :o

Edited by jackspratt

Must be stupid:

Just a few observations:

1. If you are travelling for 1 day from BKK to CM (return), would you necessarily be carrying 20kg of check-in luggage - or perhaps if you wanted to fly AA, you would restrict yourself to 15kg to take advantage of the lower fare.

2. When I checked the fare it was 1621 + 925 - a fair bit short of 3242.

3. I also checked the excess baggage charge, which seems to be 825 (5 x 165). Quite different to 430, but also see 1. above.

4. I searched the AA website for a full priced ticket, but it seems they only sell "discounted" tickets. Quite a shock really, considering they are a Low Cost Carrier.

5. I guess there are retards, and retards :o

1. I just picked some arbirtrary dates, one day apart. I didn't mean this was an actual trip, it was only meant to be an example of what the fares are. I could have just as easily picked two dates one month apart. If you're going to compare apples to apples you need to make both airlines 20kg. Especially being this thread is about people having to pay extra for overweight luggage, so obviously the 15 kg is not enough for a lot of people.

2. You picked one of the last two flights of the day which were further discounted. All the remaining flights are at the price I showed which is the normal discounted fare for that day. This isn't a comparison of the cheapest Air Asia vs. the cheapest Thai Airways. It is only to prove that their normal discounted fare is not any cheaper than Thai Airways discounted fare with basically the same terms.

3. It was already discussed in this thread that excess baggage is 86 THB per kilogram. So 5 x 86 = 430, for the return another 430, so 860 total. I didn't think that math was very difficult and have no idea where your 5 x 165 numbers come from.

4. I purposely chose a date that was over a month away so there wouldn't be much of a chance of discounted fares being sold out. If you search for tomorrow, return the next day, the price for Air Asia jumps up to 3,777.10 THB plus all the extras. If you wait till the last minute during peak season it will be even more. All the fares for tomorrow are listed as "Economy" whereas for July 1 they are listed as "Economy Promo". I would say the "Economy Promo" fares are their discounted fares. "Economy" is more and may or may not be discounted any from their full fare, but is more than the promo fare. When you do the math as I did though they often really aren't a low cost carrier when compared to Thai Airways. Comparing apples to apples they will many times be more expensive.

This doesn't even begin to calculate the loss of service that Thai Airways gives you. Let's say you check in one piece of luggage with various clothes and other items, say worth 10,000 THB plus the cost of the luggage. If Air Asia loses it, do you know what they'll pay you? Only 500 THB! That is a complete ripoff. If they misplace your luggage and you have no clothes to wear after arriving at your destination, do you know what they will pay you for buying new clothes to wear in the meantime? Absolutely zero. A friend of mine had his vacation ruined because Air Asia lost his luggage and didn't deliver it to him until his vacation was finished. Their response to it all was "what do you expect, we're a low cost airline." So as proven here you can pay as much or more than Thai Airways and really screw yourself if anything goes wrong. I personally will never ever fly this absolute horrible airline.

5. Yes all sorts of retards here.

Also, Express boarding on Air Asia is only 100 Bt (not 400)

I was only quoting the price they showed. They showed 200 THB when doing a sample one-way, so I assumed if you did a round trip it was 200 x 2. Maybe I'm wrong though as it wasn't clear from their website without continuing further which I have no intentions of doing.

Air Asia don't give a toss, but those that have had many good flights will defend them, which is fair enough. I have had good flights with them to, but when the <deleted> hits the fan they take no responsibilty.

Must be stupid:

Cut and pasted from the Air Asia website a few minutes ago...

Same day, same destinations, the cheapest and the most expensive tickets are listed below... :o

Your TravelGoing Out

01 Jul 2008 FD 3238

Departs 1045 Arrives 1155

1621.05 BT

Going Out

FD 3238 - Depart BKK 10:45 AM 07/01/08

Arrive CNX 11:55 AM 07/01/08

Coming Back

02 Jul 2008 FD 3243

Departs 2050 Arrives 2155

925.55 BT

Coming Back

FD 3243 - Depart CNX 8:50 PM 07/02/08

Arrive BKK 9:55 PM 07/02/08

Coming Back Total 925.55 THB Coming Back Total 925.55 THB 1 Guest @ 100.00 100.00 THB

Airport Tax 100.00 THB Insurance Surcharge 50.00 THB Administration Fee 65.00 THB Value Added Tax 60.55 THB Fuel Surcharge 550.00 THB

Total Package Price

2,546.60 THB

Your TravelGoing Out

01 Jul 2008 FD 3234

Departs 1250 Arrives 1400

1621.05 BT

Going Out

FD 3234 - Depart BKK 12:50 PM 07/01/08

Arrive CNX 2:00 PM 07/01/08

Coming Back

02 Jul 2008 FD 3241

Departs 1705 Arrives 1815

1621.05 BT

Coming Back

FD 3241 - Depart CNX 5:05 PM 07/02/08

Arrive BKK 6:15 PM 07/02/08

Coming Back Total 1,621.05 THB Coming Back Total 1,621.05 THB 1 Guest @ 750.00 750.00 THB

Total Package Price

3,242.10 THB

Looks like a lot of people aren't reading this thread so maybe it needs repeating. This thread is about having to pay for overweight luggage. Many people do need the extra allowance given by Thai Airways and will have to pay this charge. Some will have to pay even more when Thai Airways would probably let it slide if it's over by 5kg or so. Sure you can find some Air Asia fares lower than some Thai Airways fares, but that's not the point. Express boarding is added because if you want to compare Thai Airways which allows the civilized pre-assigned seats then the express boarding is the closest you can come to that. Without the express boarding you're comparing even more different products.

For one more example, try checking the prices for a one-way tomorrow, Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Air Asia's cheapest without any express board, any checked luggage, or overweight charges is 1942.05 THB total. Thai Airways is 2,190.00 THB total. A difference of only 247.95 THB. That's very little difference and the Air Asia flight won't give you any free drink or snack.

I agree that for some people who can book the absolute cheapest fares on Air Asia and have no checked in luggage and don't eat or drink on the plane and don't care about their boarding process, etc. they sometimes can save a lot. Other times they will save almost nothing and sometimes they will likely pay more. Add on the extras though and the savings are little at best. Clearly though the blanket statement that Air Asia is always cheaper than Thai Airways is absolutely false.