Visa extension (12 month)

??? Can anyone advise me please on the following.  Am I able to apply for a further one-year Extension of my current One Year Non-Immig (multiple entry) Visa; can I do this by taking a one-day visa run to Myanmar (as I reside in Chiang Mai). If so what paper work do I need to take with me?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated by e-mailing information to me at:-

"[email protected]"

No.

'not sent email'

??? Thankyou Lopburi3 for your brief, sharp reply!

The obvious next question from me to anyone who can assist is:-

Can you advise how one should go about getting an extension on a one year visa (Non-immig Mult. entry)?

I am using this forum to short-cut the frustration of attending the Immigration Office. A decent reply would be appreciated to give guidance for a un-initiated ex-pat!

e-mail address is "[email protected]"

You asked for it. :o

What is the basis of your visa and do you want an extension of stay (obtained inside Thailand) or are you asking about obtaining a new visa?  In any case you will not be able to do  it in a one day run to Myanmar.

Believe you may find answer to most of your questions by reading the visa information on this, or other sites.

??? Can anyone advise me please on the following.  Am I able to apply for a further one-year Extension of my current One Year Non-Immig (multiple entry) Visa; can I do this by taking a one-day visa run to Myanmar (as I reside in Chiang Mai). If so what paper work do I need to take with me?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated by e-mailing information to me at:-

"[email protected]"

You say a FURTHER extension

The answer would seem to be -

just do the same as you did for the FIRST extension

Lopburi3; thanks for the reply I'm getting somewhere now.

I currently hold a 12 month non-immig, multi-entry visa (I originally applied as a retiree and showed proof of 800,000 baht in the bank. However, the visa does not state the words "retirement"). In a few months it will expire. I wish to  renew the visa as I wish to stay on in Thailand indefinitely. Can I avoid the proof of the 800,000 baht in the bank as I originally did when the visa was first granted by just applying to have the visa extended for a further one-year?

Regards.  ROD COURT.

If you return to the place that issued the visa you 'might' but don't believe any place around Thailand would/could issue you another such visa.

If you have the money available would suggest you become legal and deposit it here and apply for an extension of stay (retirement).

rodcourt49

The Normal procedure is for you to now

apply for an Extension of stay as Lopburi says.

The passport entry will read "Retirement"

(Re my previous post - Sorry - from your

original post I thought you

had already extended once.)

One requirement is that you show that you have

a monthly income of Bht 65,000

OR a deposit of Bht 800,000 in a Bank in Thailand

But experience shows that evidence of just income

is not sufficient - they usually want to see some deposit

one member posted that When he questioned

whether a deposit was neccessary in addition to

the required income he was told that Bht 200,000

would be sufficient

Anyway what you need is:

Application Form + passport size photos + Bht 500 fee

Passport

Photocopies of relevant passport pages signed by you

Letter from Bank in Thailand re Deposit

Letter from Your Embassy re Income & Address

If you have continous extensions for 3 years

you are then eligible to apply for Residency

If you leave the Kingdom - you need a Re-Entry Permit

(Single Bht 500 - Muliple Bht 1,000)

Roger

When I retire to Thailand, hopefully in 2 years time, I will be living off purely investment income plus drawing on a small amount of capital each year until my works pension kicks in. Can the investment income count towards the 800,000 baht total or must I be able to show that I have the full amount in a bank account in Thailand. Also, how would I prove that the level of my investment income?

Thanks,

Alan

rodcourt49

If you have continous extensions for 3 years

you are then eligible to apply for Residency

Hi, I have been here on a retirement visa for more than three years. When I originally applied for the visa I was told that after three years of continuous stay that I would qualify to apply for a Resident permit.  On my first visa renewal it was confirmed that after the three years I would be eligible to apply Residency.  Now that I have had that continuous three year stay I decided to check with Immigration on the process for applying for resident status.  I was informed that there has been a change in policy and Retirees no longer have a category for a resident permit (the Other category does not include retirees).  It was suggested by the Immigration officials that I either wait for another policy change or get married to a Thai national because that is now the only way for me to get Residency.  Do anyone know if this is correct?   :o   I have spent a lot of money and time to set up for my retirement here and of course as you would know most of it is not now recoverable or convertable back to cash if I decide to live elsewhere, where retirees may be more welcome. Any information anyone has on this issue will be welcome. I suggest that if there has been a policy change then it should be reflected in the conditions for visas posted on this site so that those contemplating retirement here know that Residency is not on the menu for them.

Regards

Laurie T

It was suggested by the Immigration officials that I either wait for another policy change or get married to a Thai national because that is now the only way for me to get Residency.

As shown by above, policy can come and go.  Believe you were give the correct current info but this seems to be something that is not advertised; and thus could easily change.  Have noticed that at least one of the alternative countries in the area has the same rule (that retirements are not a reason for PR) so the advise to marry may be valid. :o

One requirement is that you show that you have

a monthly income of Bht 65,000

OR a deposit of Bht 800,000 in a Bank in Thailand

But experience shows that evidence of just income

is not sufficient - they usually want to see some deposit

one member posted that When he questioned

whether a deposit was neccessary in addition to

the required income he was told that Bht 200,000

would be sufficient

Dr Pat Pong

The Consensus of Posts on the Forum

would seem to indicate that Officials

are not accepting just the Income requirement

being satisfied.

That they also want to see a Deposit Account.

I have just amended my original post

- bold in the above quote.

I did ask the Question

"Has anybody been given a Retirement

Extension on Income ALONE?" - but

no positive responses yet ...

Roger