Thai Passport Expires

My wife's thai passport expires in August - we live in perth.

She has spoken to the Embassy in Canberra and they told her they will be doing a 'passport' renewal visit to Perth before August - when questioned further, they said they 'probably' will get to Perth prior to the expiry date - but it didn't matter if her passport expired because her (temporary) visa is valid until October.

I have two questions:-

1. Is it OK for my wife to be in Australia with a valid visa but expired passport (I will probably end up ringing Aus Immigration to get the 100% correct answer)

2. The embassy told my wife that the only alternatives if she MUST get a passport prior to its expiry, are to travel to Canberra, or to travel back to Thailand. Passports cannot be renewed any other way. Is this correct? I would have thought she could courier all the documentation to Canberra and then get a new passport sent back.

Also we want to change my wife's surname to my surname now that we are married - the embassy told her that it can't be done in Australia, we must take all the certificates etc back to Thailand for a name change.

Anyone else had these sort of problems? Any solutions/advice?

Thanks!!!

2. Applications for a biometric e-passport have to be done in-person because fingerprints and digital photograph need to be taken.

However, as a concession, a 5 year non-biometric passport may be extended outside Thailand (e.g. in the UK) until 28 July 2010 only. This may be done by post. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they are willing to do this in Australia as well, but I would assume so. You should ask them.

Regarding the name change, in Thailand, a wife can now also keep her maiden name, if she wants to. But I believe that she has to change her title from "Miss" to "Mrs." See Thai Women Allowed to Keep Maiden Names.

The Royal Thai Embassy recommends the following:

At the moment, the Embassy has already started providing e-passport service. For the new passport, the Embassy is advised by the Foreign Ministry that the endorsement page can be used only for giving the previous passport detail.

If the passport holders wish to change their surname after marriage, the Embassy will recommend them to make a power of attorney at the Embassy with the legalization of the Embassy requesting their relatives in Thailand to change their surnames after their marriages in the House Registration Document at the District Registrar in Thailand. After that, they can use the House Registration Document to apply for new passport at the Embassy.

While both of you are in Thailand, I wish to recommend her to change her surname in the Thai I.D. Card and the House Registration Paper in order for applying for a new biometric passport in the future.

See also Public Service Manual, under Marriage Registration for more information.

Edited by vinny

Thanks for the replies.

We have already registered with the Thai Consul. The problem is that no-one can really say when the embassy will do a 'passport' visit and I'm not keen about my wife not having a valid passport while in Australia despite having a valid visa. Also her temporary visa is due to convert to permanent in October so I don't want to risk that happening because she doesn't have a valid passport.

I guess we will have to start thinking about a trip back to LOS - doesn't cost much more than a trip to Canberra (and a hel_l of a lot more fun too).

Thanks

Edited by Sporting Dog