What's Up With Carrefore

jonniebkk

I was shopping in the Carrefore market (the actual Carrefore market and not the center itself) today and I have not been in for maybe a month. They have done a complete remodel of the non-food part of the store, with a much expanded electronics/computer area and household soft-goods and furniture. I couldn't find a thing. Anyway, it seems they have gone down market somewhat and the store had a more obviously "big box discount store" look than a higher-end hypermarket.

In short, is seems more closer to Lotus/Big C than the Carreforre of old, which seemed more upscale than those two merchants.

Maybe the Pattaya market just couldn't support the earlier layout/format...though it always seemed pretty crowded to me.

I went in there yesterday, purely because I had to pop in to the TT&T office, and its always a good excuse to buy some ham and cheese quiches from the bakery downstairs.

Anyway I have always hated the place, but thought I would save the hassle of visiting another supermarket to buy a few groceries as I was there. I wandered around aimlessly for about 15 minutes, couldn't find most of the things I was looking for, and the ones I could find were overpriced. Eventually just left my basket in the middle of an aisle and walked out.

To suggest that Carrefour is more 'upscale' or 'higher-end' than other supermarkets is one of the strangest things I have heard, it's hardly Waitrose is it.

Carrefore is in trouble according to a pal in the trade and are being positioned for a buy out with the Big C company, the front runners at the present. Big recent losses in China have not helped their Asian operation.

Carrefore is in trouble according to a pal in the trade and are being positioned for a buy out with the Big C company, the front runners at the present. Big recent losses in China have not helped their Asian operation.

There have been rumors to that effect for some time but in the Post a couple days ago, the MD of the Thai Carrefore operations (farang) denied them and in fact said they had some multi-billion baht investment plans for the next couple years to open more branches.

Wouldn't surprise me, however, with all the hassles every time they want to open another store. If I were Tesco or Carrefore, unless I was making lots of money, why bother with all the trouble in a relatively small and poor market?

It certainly did remind me of a Big C with the new layout. And I have always considered it much more upscale than any Lotus/Big C...what with their selection of imported Euro foods that you would never find in the other stores.

Personally I think they’ve made a good decision in changing some of their floor plan. Essentially they have increased the stock of electronics and moved the electronics section to the front of the shop, which appears to get far more customers now than when it was three quarters onwards to the back of the shop. As for other changes, haven’t seen much else change drastically.

It’s funny someone posting about just leaving their basket in the middle of an aisle and walking out – ha! I’ve popped in before for one or two things and ended up buying more, but have always had to go to the front of the shop to get a basket. I must be picking the wrong aisles to walk down.

Seems better overall to me.Not as much hassle when looking at electrical goods as before.Looks like more chinese foods too and definately more expensive things to purchase if you are mad enough.Overall,other than having problems finding things the place is much better than before.Maybe is hould try tesco as some people on here say the products are more expensive.

Carrefour has never been upmarket, it is on par with Big C and Tesco/Lotus, perhaps with the exception of some imported foods. But the non-food section is same-same the others.

As for remodelling/changing the store layout, this is sometimes done not only to improve flow or promote a section over another, but also to confuse shoppers (on purpose) and thereby make them walk a lot more in the store, allowing them to be tempted by products they might otherwise not have seen.

I am hoping that the new Central store will be more like Central Chidlom (or at a push Bangna), but I guess it will just be another discount store for the great unwashed. So Bangkok will still be the place for serious shopping. Unless they surprise us of course, there should be a solid customer base here now to finally justify an upmarket store like Central.

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

I am hoping that the new Central store will be more like Central Chidlom (or at a push Bangna), but I guess it will just be another discount store for the great unwashed. So Bangkok will still be the place for serious shopping.

I too am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Central Mall complex and the anchor Central Department Store itself. It would be my speculation that they will indeed make it more like their flagship store on Chidlom than the Bang Na branch. Don't forget, this will be their only presence on the Eastern Seaboard and I believe the spending power of the tourists and locals (both Thais and expatriates) could support such a store. There are several Central branches in Bangkok and the market could not support more than the luxury branches at Chidlom and WTC. That's why the Bang Na, Rama 4, and Pin Kaow branches are targeted a little more down market.

If you have even been to the Central Festival Mall in Phuket, you will see that the Central department store there is very nice and similar to the Chidlom branch in the merchandise it carries. I would suspect the Pattaya store will be similar. Don't forget, it's also part of a larger hotel and condo complex too.

Edited by jonniebkk

It certainly did remind me of a Big C with the new layout. And I have always considered it much more upscale than any Lotus/Big C...what with their selection of imported Euro foods that you would never find in the other stores.

They've just done what any smart retailer would do. They've cut back on slow moving lines and increased fast moving lines. I think the new layout is a big improvement.

Edited by tropo