Do Expats Look Down On Tourists?

rixalex

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never met a teacher yet...who was a "mud-crawling worm"!!!!!!!

I really like that phrase... I'll have to remember that one... It could come in handy so often around here..... Kudos!!!!!

But... if I ever did find a teacher who was a "mud-crawling worm," I'm sure I'd find him or her in Thailand.... of course!!!!! :o:D:D

Sneezing on a lady is very bad form...I agree... Unless...that is...her perfume is very bad or too strong!!!! Then, allowances have to be made....

Many people don't like being called a "tourist".

Like the time an expat called me a "sex tourist" I objected to being called a "tourist" and retorted strongly that, according to my wife, I'm a "sex resident". :o

The thing is when you've been in Thailand for a long a time you can see how you were when you first came. It can be really emabarassing to see some one in a Chiang vest and fishermans pants squatting whilst stroking a soi dog. Now I never did anything like that!!!! Well I never stroked a Soi dog. I also never wore very tight, short Adidas shorts displaying my skinny milk white legs and often flashing some spiders when sitting down.

So taking the pee and mocking the tourists and new -bees is a way of forgetting (reminding) how not to behave.

I think you are spot on.

I remember after while in Thailand how I suddenly started to notice how other foreigners here were behaving.

It reminded me about how I was the first times.

I also started to notice how the Thais observed the visitors to their country. How the visitors sometimes (unknowingly) stepped on their culture. Not knowing better.

Naturally, after some time, and with some more experience gained, we learn. And that is when we start to observe and disapprove of how the new visitors behave, doing the silly things we once did.

The backpackers hate the package tourists, the package tourists hate the sex pats, the long term expats hate the short term expats, the non teachers hate the teachers, the teachers hate the backpackers etc.

Ok, quite a generalisation, and of course not everyone is like that, but overall I think we can safely say a lot of farang hate other farang here for the stupidest reasons.

Even on this forum you can be ridiculed for meeting your wife in a bar, or living in too small an apartment, teaching English, your choice of holiday destination (think Phangan/Pattaya), choosing to eat farang food daily instead of Thai food etc.

The farang that are generally most negative towards other farang usually do so out of some need to compete against them and/or to try to win brownie points from the Thais.

Well said, burman. :o

I think you are spot on.

I remember after while in Thailand how I suddenly started to notice how other foreigners here were behaving.

It reminded me about how I was the first times.

I also started to notice how the Thais observed the visitors to their country. How the visitors sometimes (unknowingly) stepped on their culture. Not knowing better.

Naturally, after some time, and with some more experience gained, we learn. And that is when we start to observe and disapprove of how the new visitors behave, doing the silly things we once did.

Same same.

I still remember the first big screw up I made, during my first trip to Thailand back in '93. Sitting at a bar and someone asked where the bathrooms were. Not thinking (or knowing), I used my foot to point in the general direction of the public toilets. I still remember the looks of shock on the faces of the wait-staff (who explained my grevious error afterwards).

I used to wear shorts, sandals (no socks though) and t-shirts all the time. Then I started wearing collared golf/polo shirts, then started wearing long pants more often (I noticed that every time I would go outside with long pants and a nice shirt on, my land-lady and neighbours would comment on how "handsome" I was. Something they never used to do when I wore shorts and a t-shirt).

There are still way too many people though, be they tourists or expats, that go to Thailand with the attitude that the locals are merely there to service the needs of the mighty farang. (Think of the old colonial attitudes that many Euro nations used to have when dealing with locals in their colonies. The locals were often treated as slaves and serfs, and weren't considered proper "human beings", despite in some cases having cultures and civilisations that long outdated those of their colonial "masters"). Sadly, that attitude seems to exist to this day (in some people, a minority I'm sure). And it's not just in the citizens of former colonial powers, but also in those from much newer countries.

(Which is part of the reason I tend to take a cynical view of news articles about farangs getting beaten up in bars for no apparent reason).

:D Oh yes....good post.

I have seen all nationalities from Brits to Germans and (often) Americans acting like bloody fools. Not only in Thailand, but in other countries.(and I happen to have been born in the U.S.A.) I've also seen many people, even tourists, trying to act decently and respectfully toward Thais.

I once heard two obviously British "teachers" on the skytrain making jokes about the "bloody tourists" and what fools they were. They were talking about two female backpackers also riding the train. Both these guys were wearing T-shirts that the Thais would have been offended by.(such as...Thailand Home of the LBFM) and a picture of some bargirl. One of these teachers then turned away from his companion and without making attempt to cover his nose/mouth sneezed on a Thai girl, obviously on her way to work in some office by her dress. He never bothered to apologise for sneezing on her hair. The look that girl gave the guy showed that she thought he was no higher than a mud-crawlimg worm to her. He never noticed.

Just goes to show there are a--holes in all nationalities, but there are also decent courteous people in all nationalities.

:o

Maybe I'm a little slow, but you seem to be contradicting yourself; What makes someone an obvious "British teacher?"

I agree totally with you're last sentence, but not sure what you are trying to get at?

I still remember the first big screw up I made, during my first trip to Thailand back in '93. Sitting at a bar and someone asked where the bathrooms were. Not thinking (or knowing), I used my foot to point in the general direction of the public toilets. I still remember the looks of shock on the faces of the wait-staff (who explained my grevious error afterwards).

Did you have to come to Thailand before you learned that pointing out directions with your foot was rude?

It would be considered rude in England too.

I'm a Brit, have lived in East Germany since the wall came down, pay the same taxes and prices as the natives, enjoy equal treatment in the eyes of the law and have long since severed connections with the UK.

Am I an expat?

if you don't have german citizenship the answer is a clear "yes".

Thanks, that's that matter cleared up.

I hope to not even see tourists. The Thais that live away from tourist areas have a much better attitude toward falang than those that do and I am much more comfortable living amongst them.

I also think that the falang that live away from the tourist areas have a much better attitude than those in the tourist areas. Therefore, I would not need to compete with them.

I'm a Brit, have lived in East Germany since the wall came down, pay the same taxes and prices as the natives, enjoy equal treatment in the eyes of the law and have long since severed connections with the UK.

Am I an expat?

And I, for one, will sleep easier tonight.

Am I an expat?

anyways rixalex i hope this thread has helped you define who you are now!!

I live in a tourist town, but do not mingle much with short-term tourists. No, they do not bother me much. I surprised myself last night, behaving like an Old Asia hand, telling some guy who is starting to become an expat here, how things were for me as an expat. But I try to be modest, and make fun of my inability to learn Thai or eat spicy food. I try to be less outrageous than some of my fellow expats at the same table.

Competition? Yes, it is a Western male trait. I had a very powerful job back home, and then was an ajarn in a government school here. I prefer to brag about my 150-cc motorcycle or my sexual conquests, or my children and grandchildren, or my excessive blond hair, or the number of airport toilets where I have squatted. Must brag about something.

Am I an expat?

anyways rixalex i hope this thread has helped you define who you are now!!

Not sure about that Funfun, but i can say that thanks to your input, it's clear to me that not only do the people i described exist, but they are very much amongst us on Thaivisa.

Even when I was on a "family visit" (my wife's), I wanted to distance me from tourists, why ?

For me a tourist is someone in a hurry to "make" countries as fast as possible and has no time to spare for what is quite exclusively interesting to me : contact with the (ordinary) people and the culture ...

I always needed to take the time, to be slow and easy, the exact opposite of the vast majority of tourists, trying (under my wife's supervision) to behave according to local customs.

I wish I was a tourist. Then I would be more focused on being happy, helping, not care about my cash or being ripped off and I would not own the cynical attitude I now possess. I would probably notice even more wonderful things about Thai culture than I do now. As well, I would probably be more positive.

I have had to good fortune to have a few friends that have visited Thailand stay at my place during their visit. I must admit I noticed more about myself and how I have changed while watching them enjoy their visit.

I am jealous of tourists and have no problem stating so.

God Bless the naivity of the Falang Tourist!

Some advice I personally try to live by is:

When in Rome do as the Romans do .. As long as I uderstand what it is I am doing

...brag about my 150-cc motorcycle...

:o

Mod's please move post to "Bikes in Thailand" and after a day of collecting all the razzing, move to "Jokes" forum. :D

(And I'm not showing my male trait, as I take off for dinner on my 100-cc motor scooter...).

I don't feel the need to prove my status in front of tourists - I rarely see any! :D

Just to be pedantic - I eat very spicy food and attempt to speak Thai on most of the time. :D

however:

Whenever going to a tourist area - I actually pretend to be a tourist who doesn't speak any Thai. Get my fair share of laughs listening to the "how much are we going to charge this one" banter going on around me. :o

Exactly

living in this beautiful country for 9 years now, i deeply believe, that it's a matter of sheer politeness towards our usually unusual kind and friendly hosts.

the longer we live here, the better it suits us to adopt the customs and language of thailand and not to pretend to be much different (and better) than them. a short term tourist is in fact different and as such widely accepted. a long term guest should by no means embarrass his hosts by boosting his alleged superiority and make them 'loose their face' by confronting them with their pretty poor command of the english language. the aforementioned everlasting competition is a typical sign of the western degeneration one usually only finds amongst weak individuals, who need to look down on someone else to feel themselves bigger and better. be love and peace with them all.......

see thats difference, you are getting upset with yourselfe all beacause you know your inferior to me as im fluent in thai, not just reading and writing but im now calm but you on the other hand as a mere tourist have your bad temper, and this is probly down to drinking, go on admit it ill bet you use alcohol at least once a week!!!

thought so, then you come on here and blame everyone else, you brits make me laugh!!!

..........but regrettably not English - maybe as a 2nd language? Or is it just laziness?

So just why is it expats are so keen to distance themselves from being a tourist. And why the need to prove it every time they step outside the front door? Or have i got it round the wrong way? Perhaps it's not so much a case of not wanting to be a tourist, but more like just trying to fit in. What do you think?

I haven't read the entire thread yet but I'm sure someone has already told you that tourists get ripped off more than foreigners who live here so it's good to toss around a little Thai and tell shopkeepers or taxi drivers that you're not a tourist.

As for spicy food, I've always liked spicy food and even have some hot sauce that practically burns the tongue off of each Thai that tries it.

For those who speak Thai when it's "not necessary" - some people really want to learn the language. And the only way to learn it is to use it. And Thais like it when you can say a few things to them in their language. Of course, there are also people who speak it just to feel superior to the farang next to him who doesn't speak so well.

"Meeting with other expats i find there can be an underlying current of competition as to who speaks the most Thai, eats the spiciest food, knows the most about Thai people, and so on..."

ill take that as you cant read or write Thai, in fact ill bet your one of those that cant even speak Thai!!!! :o

i STAY THERE I CANNOT SPEAK THAI VERY WELL CANNOT WRITE IT AT ALL I JUST WANT TO LIVE IN THE BACK GROUND WITH MY WIFE AND BABY AND ALL MY FAMILY

Thai Viz

I like to visit this forum occassionally as I find it very amusing and good entertainment value. Lets face it, you have it all here .................

Perhaps the communications authority in this country should have a government health warning banner on the 'Thai Viz' homepage !!!!!!

I think there is a lot of truth in what the op is saying. I believe there is a divide between the pretentious ex-pats who are trying to show off, and the rest of us that just want to distance ourself from the 'embarrassing' tourists.

Many times I have found myself in a shop / restaurant or whatever, and been totally shocked by the way some lagered up, loudmouthed, chang tank top wearer is making a fool of himself. I will usually smile to the abused member of staff, speak in a politer than normal way, and also in Thai.

I think it is just my little way of showing the Thai person - 'hey, we are not all like this !'

Does anybody agree ?

100% friend.

i STAY THERE I CANNOT SPEAK THAI VERY WELL CANNOT WRITE IT AT ALL I JUST WANT TO LIVE IN THE BACK GROUND WITH MY WIFE AND BABY AND ALL MY FAMILY

Sorry, could you speak up a bit? I'm a bit deaf, you see?

Give the guy a break, SB. His keyboard has clearly got a "caps lock" problem - even his nick is in caps! :D

P.S. Welcome Cosmo! (Any relation to Cosmo Kramer? :o)

Sorry, could you speak up a bit? I'm a bit deaf, you see?

Give the guy a break, SB. His keyboard has clearly got a "caps lock" problem - even his nick is in caps! :D

P.S. Welcome Cosmo! (Any relation to Cosmo Kramer? :o)

Hmmmmm.......notice the small i at the beginning of his post?

He's unaware that his caps-lock is on.

I wish I was a tourist. Then I would be more focused on being happy, helping, not care about my cash or being ripped off and I would not own the cynical attitude I now possess. I would probably notice even more wonderful things about Thai culture than I do now. As well, I would probably be more positive.......

I am jealous of tourists and have no problem stating so.

I too find myself jealous of the few tourists who drive by my home in Thailand maybe once or twice a week to visit the nearby waterfall. I always hope they will stop to buy a drink at the local shop so that I might have an opportunity to talk to someone half my age from another country and learn from them. For me, it is those dirty smelly young low-budget backpackers traveling the globe who are still able to see Thailand with open eyes and whose thoughts I enjoy listening to.

When in-country I use to speak only Thai whenever I went into town, maybe it was an ego thing, I really don't know. But now, when I do stop at an establishment that caters to Farangs, and these places almost always cater to a combination of ex-pats and tourists, I only speak English, even to the Thai staff unless a Thai staff member begins to engage me in real conversation, a rarity these days. I find it far more entertaining and enlightening being an eavesdropper to both the Thai and English conversations going around me. So I don't really make any difference between the ex-pats and the tourists as, in my opinion, we all reside along the same continuum.