Bathroom (uk Style) Ceiling Light Switches With On/off Hanging Cord

gdhm

Hi All,

Does anybody know if it is possible (and if so where) to buy UK style bathroom ceiling light switches in Thailand (especailly Khon kane area)

For non UK people these are type where the switch fitting is in the ceiling and an On/OFF pull cord hangs from it. Usually placed just inside the door.

I want some as they are extremely safe with the switch mechanism on the ceiling far from water and wet hands.

I so far have not been able to find any.

Many thanks

Dave

Have never seen any such thing here but in truth have never looked (I assume this is a special double insulated type switch to prevent the chain/wet string getting hot?). A wall switch outside the door seems to work well and be reasonably safe. More so when on an RCCB.

I don't recall seeing them outside the UK, most countries seem to allow outlets in the bathroom so a pull switch for the light would really be superfluous.

Best bet if you really want one would be to get somone to ship it from the UK.

I see them all the time. Try homepro.

If you want safety you are kidding yourself.

Safe is switches mounted on the wall OUTSIDE the bathroom. GFI set to 10Ma.

Good to know they're available.

Just out of interest how would a pull-switch be unsafe, it's the only type of switch allowed in bathrooms in the (increasingly safety paranoid) UK, a switch outside could still be operated with wet hands.

Interesting Crossy. I would have bet good money that string would have been outlawed years ago in UK. (kudos for having great codes).

The reason is because you are unable to switch the light on while standing in water. I'll take my system every time. My bathrooms are designed so that the floors are about 2~3 inches lower than the hall & thus a burst water line will be confined to the bathroom. A 2 inch floor drain ensures that. 5 to 8 cm for you metric hounds.

I reckon Clipsal still make them here in Oz, try googling the Clipsal site.

Both HPM and Clipsal make weatherproof switches in the 770 and 2000 series suitable for use in bathrooms, ceiling switches are rarely used now and mainly for replacement purposes.

The reason is because you are unable to switch the light on while standing in water. I'll take my system every time. My bathrooms are designed so that the floors are about 2~3 inches lower than the hall & thus a burst water line will be confined to the bathroom.

The point of the pull switch is that it seperates you from the bitey stuff by about 6 feet, even if you're stood in salt water it's not going to get you :o

The 'string' is actually a nylon cord that won't absorb water (so it won't become wet and conduct), internally the switch has significant arc length and insulating walls between the end of the 'string' and the contacts so no way it's going to ever shock the user :D

I like your bathroom design, we are having dropped floors too. I will probably lose the argument and install outlets (protected by 10mA ELCBs), the wife can be very persuasive in these matters.

Just at same stage and have decided to have switchoutside althoughit means drilling thru 20cm supablock

If you have a delivery address in Uk you can check B+q online I am not sure they will deliver here despite sending me their new credit card!