Fortuner - Which Model To Buy?

Im going to buy a fortuner.

The 4X4 3D manual transmission is just a little over 1 million

The 4X4 3D auto transmission is 1.25 million (25% more)

I live in the sticks my toyota dealer doesnt speak good english, and i am trying to figure out if there are any other significant differences between the models apart from the transmission.

Are the engines more or less the same??

Also there is a 2.7 gasoline model but only 2 WD. Would i save much on fuel if i buy this and convert to LPG?

I am pretty much set on the standard manual transmission - it seems like a cracking deal, but the wife is a bit lazy to change gears

LPG conversion of petrol engine will easily cut your fuel bills in half. If you are going to drive a lot it will make a huge difference over the years, but there are questions about Toyota warrantee and technical expertise of upcountry mechanics - you'll need a fairly advanced LPG system.

One minus - diesels are faster and probably easier to sell.

Our insurance agent converted his petrol Vigo to LPG, I'll ask him next time what happens with warrantee.

I think lots of stuff missing in the manual version, it doesn't have leather upholstery, for example.

Yeah, that was my experience (and why we didn't buy one), the manual box is (or seems to be) only available with the base level trim and a limited colour range.

I wanted a blue diesel car with manual box and leather, sorry cannot do :o Actually they could do, but it involved getting the base model and installing all the goodies (including ripping out the interior) even then blue was a non-starter.

Bought a Ranger in the end.

Edited by Crossy

I just bought the Fortuner Smart TRD and really like it. The interior is far nicer than the normal Fortuners with a black dash, black leather wrapped steering wheel and shifters plus carbon fiber trim. The seats are perforated leather, not sure if that is whats in Fortuner V. It also has TRD springs, shocks, Sportivo body and 18" wheels as far as difference in the handling I can't comment as I never drove a normal fortuner. The diesel is excellent and when I first drove it I was thinking it was a petrol for how quiet it is. My Vigo had the same engine but was no where near as quiet as my Fortuner. On the down side it is more expensive and is available in Black or White. I really like the white ever since I seen a Fortuner Exclusive, besides the black model doesn't stand out from normal Fortuners.

• 1 month later...

i also got a black Smart (white would contradict with heavy metal music it is brutally subjected to) and already done 5000 km with it. So far I am satisfied with it and how it handles. It is pretty fast for a big car like that although I would like to have a bit more power from the engine.

For me there was no debate whether gas or diesel as diesel has more HP and torque and besides that I never worried about noise too much. On the contrary i find quiet cars really borring and I am considering to change my exhaust pipe with a twin pipes. Does anybody know where I can get twin pipes fited to a Fortuner? I want real performance pipes that get you some extra HP as well?

Thanks!

I think you are comparing a bare bones manual gas 2.7 to a 3.0 D4D Smart,,they a mile apart, a bit like a ford fiesta popular plus versus a ghia ( if anyone remembers those 2 gems ). the 2.7 gas is a slug, the 3 litre diesel is far better, id rather have a 2year old 3.0 d4d than a new 2.7 gas, ugh ! :o

I think you are comparing a bare bones manual gas 2.7 to a 3.0 D4D Smart,,they a mile apart, a bit like a ford fiesta popular plus versus a ghia ( if anyone remembers those 2 gems ). the 2.7 gas is a slug, the 3 litre diesel is far better, id rather have a 2year old 3.0 d4d than a new 2.7 gas, ugh ! :o

My 2.7 gasoline engined Fortuner just passed 80,000 kms with no faults save a replacement battery. Still on the original tyres (enough tread left for at least 20k) and original brake pads and linings.

The on-board computer indicates 10.5 kms/litre which conforms well to my own manual calculations.

It runs smoothly and the performance is good for enough for an SUV. Too many drivers (ncluding farangs) are looking to make it into a high speed sports car which it aint, by installing uncomfortable low profile tyres or even smaller diameter combinations as well as expensive brake conversions of doubtful value.

Drive it for what it is a roomy practical SUV for touring and not try to make it something else.

The diesel version has more torque but I can't stand the clatter and prefer the benzine model.

Curiously, my local police station is now using new 2.7 VIGOs so I assume they are LPG conversions. If not they must know something we don't.

Peter

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

definitely the 2.7 VVT. Install a 100 Litre equivalent NGV tank and you can't go wrong.

Insurance Companies are now covering installation of NGV plus a 10% discount off the premium. There is also a discount towards the road tax with an NGV car/truck. Not sure the amount.

Warranty is not void with the conversion. Only parts that become faulty due the conversion are not covered by the warranty. Everything else is.

Also prices of diesel is soaring.

But then up to you. Depends how important performance is to you in the car. For me, I like all the savings i can get while still having the comforts of driving a Fortuner.

TB..

definitely the 2.7 VVT. Install a 100 Litre equivalent NGV tank and you can't go wrong.

Insurance Companies are now covering installation of NGV plus a 10% discount off the premium. There is also a discount towards the road tax with an NGV car/truck. Not sure the amount.

Warranty is not void with the conversion. Only parts that become faulty due the conversion are not covered by the warranty. Everything else is.

Also prices of diesel is soaring.

But then up to you. Depends how important performance is to you in the car. For me, I like all the savings i can get while still having the comforts of driving a Fortuner.

TB..

I am considering to convert to NGV for my Fortuner 2.7, howver, worry about the space taken by the tank. The space available at the back is rather small with 7 seats. Where is the tank being installed?

Pichai

I am considering to convert to NGV for my Fortuner 2.7, howver, worry about the space taken by the tank. The space available at the back is rather small with 7 seats. Where is the tank being installed?

Pichai

You might have to sacrifice the last seat if the tank wont fit right behind it. Better to check with S.O. NGV in ChiangMai.

Pichai

You might have to sacrifice the last seat if the tank wont fit right behind it. Better to check with S.O. NGV in ChiangMai.

Thanks, will find out first.