Sim Card For Usa Visit

Jimmyd

I'm going to the US next week, and I'd like to be able to use my cell phone.

I know there must be some people here who have experience with this--what is the best kind of sim card to get for a couple weeks in the US so I can make local calls within the US?

Depending on where you are going in the US the two most reasonable carriers are T Mobile and ATT (T Mobile is better but not available everywhere) - If you have a phone that works here and only need a sim just go to any T Mobile/ATT store and ask for a sim (About $25) and pop it in you phone... refill minutes can be bought anywhere and are all priced the same... If you do not have a phone or don't want to go thru the complicated store route then go to any Walmart or Target store... and buy a phone with a prepaid plan (You can get the phone and the sim for as little as $19.99!)... you can remove the sim and put it in your phone or just use the new phone... If you want internet access like EDGE you will be out of luck... carriers in the US do not provide it to prepaid accounts :<

http://www.target.com/b/601-3995400-642971...mp;x=5&y=10

Edited by sfokevin

TMobile and ATT do have GPRS. I am not sure about EDGE. ATT is cheaper for GPRS. In fact, I am not sure TMobile even offers it for pre-paid customers anymore. They want you to have a contract.

You can get these SIMs anywhere. And even better idea would be to visit a store like Fry's and pick up a motorola phone plus $10 ATT credit for $29. If you are in Pattaya I have a couple of these with me. I wanted to try them here but they only work on American GSM bands. But the credit and SIM work anywhere.

Walmart and other stores have cheap pre-paid phones, too, but it sounds to me like you want to stick with GSM. If you do that you can take the SIM back with you to Thailand.