Thai Visa - Cairo

Hi all

I have obtained the last 90 days allowable on my Non B visa - expires 16th June 2008. (Thanks to previous forum advice from this website). My plan presently is to fly to Cairo to visit a family member working there and then return to Bangkok for a month or less to attend some final medical appointments, etc before flying back to Australia (to work :o ).

Does anyone have any experience of obtaining a Thai tourist visa in Cairo? I have looked at the website but would like to be absolutely sure. I spoke to someone at immigration here by phone who told me that as I am currently in Thailand on a multi B visa it would be necessary to leave Thailand for minimum 28 days before I can apply for a tourist visa to return. (Its possible I misunderstood this info with my limited Thai language skills). Also will I have to show the onward one way ticket to Australia upon arrival at airport on my return to Bangkok. (No problem to show ticket, am researching now so should have one in place before I leave Bangkok anyways).

Again, many thanks in advance.

If it is anything like the UK then any onward ticket problems usually result from the airlines and not Thai immigration - i.e. they won't let you board a plane to Thailand if you have a tourist visa and no onward flight ticket. Thai immigration do not require you to have an onward flight ticket if you already have a visa (to the best of my knowledge).

As you only plan to return to Thailand for less than 30 days there is no need to get a Tourist Visa in Cairo.

I am assuming that you belong to a country that qualifies for the Visa Exemption Stamp of 30 days.

However if you take this approach the airline will probably expect to see an onward ticket to Oz.

If you do get the 60 Tourist Visa in Egypt, then the ticket should not be an issue with the airline,

though the consulate may want to see one.

If you do visit the Thai Consulate in Cairo please let us know how you fare.

I don't think we have ever had a report on them. :o

• 2 months later...

Thank you to those that responded to my question.

I didnt physically go into the Thai Consulate office in Cairo but did phone up to make an enquiry as to whether it would be possible to obtain a 60 day visa and was told quite abruptly "we dont issue them here, you qualify for the visa exemption". So just left it at that.

Qatar airways didnt ask to show an ongoing ticket, but i showed them anyway, and to be quite honest to not have an ongoing ticket would have been too much of a worry the whole time I was there, and not worth the risk.

Arriving in Thailand the officer went through my passport really thoroughly, and took his time (guess thats his job anyway) and received a big smile and a stamp for 30 days. Glad to be back!!!!