Work Permits - A Pleasant Surprise

I was surprised to learn today that the labour office in Chiang Mai now authorises work permits for one year, irrespective of your visa expiration date. Previously, it was always tied to your visa dates, so if you only had a one month visa whilst your 1 year visa application was 'under consideration' you could only get a one month extension to the work permit. Not so now. Stamped for one year and issued the same day!!! Came in effect from 23 Feb , I believe.

Is this a CM special or has anyone encountered it elsewhere....

....suddenly occurs to look at own WP - yes also extended by one year last week at Chonburi Labour Office.

Move thread to Thai Visa & Work Permits?

I just had mine renewed less then two weeks ago (Chiangmai) and it was only for the length of my visa extension which this time was for 5 months due to change in position. They charged 1500 baht + 100 which was normal for this length. What was the charge for yours? The reason I ask is there is talk of 20,000 Baht for one year and also will give one year regardless of Visa/extension.

I just had mine renewed less then two weeks ago (Chiangmai) and it was only for the length of my visa extension which this time was for 5 months due to change in position. They charged 1500 baht + 100 which was normal for this length. What was the charge for yours? The reason I ask is there is talk of 20,000 Baht for one year and also will give one year regardless of Visa/extension.

3000 baht for permit plus 100b fee. Valid for 1 Year from expiration of old permit. My visa expires December, work permit next May.

Is this a CM special or has anyone encountered it elsewhere....

....suddenly occurs to look at own WP - yes also extended by one year last week at Chonburi Labour Office.

Move thread to Thai Visa & Work Permits?

Didn't you think at the time why you had been charged for a full year and not the 800 odd for 3 months?

Before walking away from the officer, do you check the dates in your passport, when you get an entry stamp?

Strange to post a realisation like that......

Mine was for my business, also cost 3k plus admin fee.

Edited by solent01

I assume all of those that got the one year was based on a business rather then work contracts?

That may be as I just got my one-year work permit through my business. :o If so, strange and pretty unfortunate for those with work contracts.

Nienke

Any of you guys know what the going rate is for a local Thai "agent" to charge for handling a WP application for the director of a Thai Co.?

In Bangkok, our professional fee is 6,500 Baht for the first work permit application. The second year our fee fot the renewal is 3,900 Baht.

The range charged by most firms is 6,000 Baht to 50,000 Baht and they charge the same fee for the second year renewal.

We deal with volume and this is why our professional fees are low. Last year our lawyers handled around 5,000 inital applications, revalidations and renewals for work permits.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

In Bangkok, our professional fee is 6,500 Baht for the first work permit application. The second year our fee fot the renewal is 3,900 Baht.

Thanks for that Sunbelt. The reason I asked is that my accountant said that she would do it for me but will give me a price tomorrow. If I have any "grief" I 'll give you a call, cheers.