How Much ?

coventry

I went on a long journey the other day and had to run the gauntlet of up to 4 police road blocks. Odds were against me and I got caught in one and was asked for 200 Baht. I agreed, as I was doing 100 km when stopped, but I wanted a receipt. The officer said that I would have to pay 400 Baht in that case. I told him I'd give him no more than 100 Baht, no receipt, he accepted.

On the return leg same again. Got pulled in and I was told I was speeding. Once again I was doing 100km. This time I argued that I wasn't speeding. The officer then dropped that and said I was driving in the right hand lane on a dual carriageway without returning to the nearside lane. Once again I argued that he was wrong, which this time he was. He gave up and let me on my way. No payment.

My question is. Does anyone know the legal on the spot financial penalties for motoring offences ? Plus in the worst case senario what can a police officer do if I stand my ground on either a legal fine or a back hander (bribe).

Another time a police officer asked me for 100 Baht for speeding, which I gave him. I asked for a receipt and he told me to go to Buriram police station to get one. 60+ km away. Is it worth the hassle to report the officer ?

Edited by coventry

I've been driving here for about 8 years both on motorbikes and in cars (most of the time I've been pulled over was on a bike). Most minor traffic offenses will run you 200baht or for some 400 and the procedure is that the cop takes your license and gives you a ticket in return. You must then go down to the police station, pay the fine and off you go. One time I was in a similar situation to you; the copper was clearly making things up, saying I was in the left lane when I was not and would not back down. I followed him to the police station and told the supervising cop that I wanted to take the issue to traffic court. He kind of laughed and said "how much do you want to pay?" I said 20 baht, he said fine, I paid and left. Unfortunately I think a falang reporting an officer about something like this would only get you laughs by the cop you told. Basic rules are this; the rules of the "street" that is; motorbikers generally pay 50-100 baht and cars 2-300. If you have been stopped already that day, just tell the cops that you paid already today and tell them politely. In most cases I think he'll let you go. It's a wacky system but thats just the way it is. I remember living in Cambodia; you'd just run the gauntlet with the police (they don't carry guns) while they swing their clubs at you going through (good to have a fast bike), if it's the army you stop and give them a dollar.

I've never paid more than Bt100 I think though I've been asked for Bt200, Bt400 and Bt500. On the trip to Buriram there are usually 2 or 3 checks and you have no idea of the real speed limits. As I often go more than 110 kph I know I am speeding and I look on it as a sort of excess speed tax. I do not take kindly to being pulled over for nothing as I have on occasion and have paid nothing though I think that sometimes having the kid in the car softens their heart !

I don't get pulled in Pattaya which I thought I would driving on Korat plates but that is perhaps the reason, I don't know. Maybe they assume I am Thai.

I've been driving here for about 8 years both on motorbikes and in cars (most of the time I've been pulled over was on a bike). Most minor traffic offenses will run you 200baht or for some 400 and the procedure is that the cop takes your license and gives you a ticket in return. You must then go down to the police station, pay the fine and off you go. One time I was in a similar situation to you; the copper was clearly making things up, saying I was in the left lane when I was not and would not back down. I followed him to the police station and told the supervising cop that I wanted to take the issue to traffic court. He kind of laughed and said "how much do you want to pay?" I said 20 baht, he said fine, I paid and left. Unfortunately I think a falang reporting an officer about something like this would only get you laughs by the cop you told. Basic rules are this; the rules of the "street" that is; motorbikers generally pay 50-100 baht and cars 2-300. If you have been stopped already that day, just tell the cops that you paid already today and tell them politely. In most cases I think he'll let you go. It's a wacky system but thats just the way it is. I remember living in Cambodia; you'd just run the gauntlet with the police (they don't carry guns) while they swing their clubs at you going through (good to have a fast bike), if it's the army you stop and give them a dollar.
Ok, he gives me a ticket and then I go to the police station to pay it. Which police station ?

It can be a win/lose situation.

If you are doing something wrong, pay a small "fee" instead of a large fine is a win situation, but on the other hand if someone else does something wrong and it effects you they pay a small "fee" which is lose for you.

We tend to want things done correctly by the police, but the Thai folks just pay up, they know how it is.

It can be a win/lose situation.

If you are doing something wrong, pay a small "fee" instead of a large fine is a win situation, but on the other hand if someone else does something wrong and it effects you they pay a small "fee" which is lose for you.

We tend to want things done correctly by the police, but the Thai folks just pay up, they know how it is.

Surely all is hypocritical if one is totally innocent. Where are the legal eagles, of this forum, to enlighten us to our liabilaties ?

I went on a long journey the other day and had to run the gauntlet of up to 4 police road blocks. Odds were against me and I got caught in one and was asked for 200 Baht. I agreed, as I was doing 100 km when stopped, but I wanted a receipt. The officer said that I would have to pay 400 Baht in that case. I told him I'd give him no more than 100 Baht, no receipt, he accepted.

On the return leg same again. Got pulled in and I was told I was speeding. Once again I was doing 100km. This time I argued that I wasn't speeding. The officer then dropped that and said I was driving in the right hand lane on a dual carriageway without returning to the nearside lane. Once again I argued that he was wrong, which this time he was. He gave up and let me on my way. No payment.

My question is. Does anyone know the legal on the spot financial penalties for motoring offences ? Plus in the worst case senario what can a police officer do if I stand my ground on either a legal fine or a back hander (bribe).

Another time a police officer asked me for 100 Baht for speeding, which I gave him. I asked for a receipt and he told me to go to Buriram police station to get one. 60+ km away. Is it worth the hassle to report the officer ?

Having been in Thailand 10 years I usually resist responding to this common type of complaint against the BIB -- but they are a thieving bag of bas...ds. I have been stopped so many times and (as the poster writes) even with correct paper work, Thai driving licences and year's visa, the Police lie and cheat like hel_l to extort money from foreigners. If not guilty of one trumped up charge, they invent another.

Recently, a Police Chief said that foreign motorists should report these thieves direct to his office and those offenders would be disciplined. What a load of bull. As I see it, in Thai culture, their worst crime is calling themselves The 'ROYAL' Thai Police.

Previously I was in Law Enforcement uniform for almost 30 years and these guys are an absolute disgrace and should be ashamed of their tactics. But we are all in Thailand ----------------.

mine so far

going up a one way street the wrong way on a moped 400 baht paid at the police station

(this was in pattaya cutting through from beach road to 2nd road moped taxi guy had hung his jacket over the sign so me and loads of others got nicked)

Rangsit no helmet 100 baht paid to the kind officer

and the third up north No seatbelt i was a passenger 300 baht paid at the police station

back in the UK i would be catching the bus for 6 months

i lurrrvvvvv Thailand lol

colino

well its just like a toll booth, juts pay the toll and go. if your riding, especially during peak times, just keep your big money in a different area and small pay off money in your wallet or whatever.. easily for the police to see. Being VERY aggressive in english about how much money you do not have also help. Paper work and stuff? sounds like a hassle and waste of gas. It is funny because lots of people Thai and foreign just choose to not have paper work and abide by "laws" because they will get stopped just the same and have to pay the same whether these choose to be legal or not. Obviously its better to be coverer your self in all ways as a foreigner..but in reality.. yea

I have been stopped 3 times on my moped. First time I had no licence with me, was fined and got a receipt. Second time I showed them my European Union license which they accepted. Third time was New Year’s eve, I had had a glass of Champagne, but he didn’t care, just checked my EU license and let me get on my way.

I am lucky enough to have only seen the positive side of the Royal Thai Police.

• 2 weeks later...

Beware the last day of the month - I am sure the boys in brown hold their party that night and you can guarantee to see a 100% increase in spot checks.

I have had 3 speeding fines ranging from 200 to 400 Baht - bang to rights on all 3 occasions 120 to 130 kph. Annoying that these were always on a virtually empty road almost as big as the M25. But I WAS in the wrong.

200 Baht for no helmet on a bike is fair.

I took exception to the 200 fine for not having documents when driving a rented car. We phoned the renter and he said he was advised by the police not to leave docs in the car ! That one was unfair but G/F said don't take it personally - it is not persecution of Farangs, the Thais get stopped as well. She had already paid so I could not do the Farang strop.

Also got a 400 fine for not having an International Driving License. I forecefully pointed out that I had driven all over the world on my licence. They even offered to take me to the police station to show me an IDL. Convinced that they were wrong I phoned a friend's brother who is a senior officer in the Isaan police force. I was quickly and courteously waved on.

Only later did I realise that I was totally wrong and only had a Euro licence !

I think I have been stopped maybe 10 times for doing nothing wrong and once for doing a huge stupid move.

The 10 times I have done nothing wrong, NO, I don't bend over to the corrupt "slip the guy some money" because I have done nothing wrong, Its just crazy that at the end of the month they pull pple for nothing and I swear that they just look for white guys in a car and their hand flags you down. I'm not paying for this corruption. Simply ask for a ticket and a reason and demand that you get it. In every case that I have done this I have been waved on.

In the one case that I was an idiot and I turned onto Sukhumvit the wrong way I found myself not only going the wrong way but I was on the wrong side of the road in a bus lane.

The cop started his usual crap about oooo I must write you a ticket but I explained that it was 100% my mistake and could he just help me to turn around and offered him 100Bht.

I know thats as good as a bribe but really, would an honest cop really book you for making a real obvious mistake ?

He called his mate over and they stopped the traffic, I looked like a real pratt, They helped me turn around and waved me on, I felt bad because I offered him money to help me, He wasn't interested.

If pple keep paying them money for nothing, they will keep doing it.

If you have done nothing wrong, Just say NO and ask for the ticket, they will wave you on.

I'm normally guilty when stopped. If I am by myself, it is 200 baht. If my Thai wife is with me it is 100 baht.

ADDED - The reason it is 100 baht when my wife is with me is because she costs him money. She talks to him long enough that he is happy to have her finally go on her way.

Edited by Gary A

Think about how much in a single year, you may have to pay in tea money. The total isn't much.

Contrast with back home:

-Thugs who can legally wheel clamp and hold you to ransom.

-Traffic wardens and jobs-worth attitude.

-Concealed speed cameras.

-Compulsory vehicle recovery from motorways (at your expense).

-Expensive insurance premiums.

I'm not saying corruption is this or that blah blah Thailand BiB and so on, instead, I just want to point out that the potential (and often real) costs of motoring back home is significantly more than in Thailand. With this in mind, tea money doesn't really irk me like it used to.

Having been in Thailand 10 years I usually resist responding to this common type of complaint against the BIB -- but they are a thieving bag of bas...ds. I have been stopped so many times and (as the poster writes) even with correct paper work, Thai driving licences and year's visa, the Police lie and cheat like hel_l to extort money from foreigners. If not guilty of one trumped up charge, they invent another.

Recently, a Police Chief said that foreign motorists should report these thieves direct to his office and those offenders would be disciplined. What a load of bull. As I see it, in Thai culture, their worst crime is calling themselves The 'ROYAL' Thai Police.

Previously I was in Law Enforcement uniform for almost 30 years and these guys are an absolute disgrace and should be ashamed of their tactics. But we are all in Thailand ----------------.

I agree with everything you say except this seems to a targeted at foreigners. They go after everyone, they will ask the foreigner for more money.

This is one of the prices you pay for living in a developing country, hopefully it will get better, but it is going to take a long time.

TH

I'm normally guilty when stopped. If I am by myself, it is 200 baht. If my Thai wife is with me it is 100 baht.

ADDED - The reason it is 100 baht when my wife is with me is because she costs him money. She talks to him long enough that he is happy to have her finally go on her way.

LOL

When with my sister-in-law I never get charged. I do end up wasting a lot of time waiting while she flirts and jokes around with the officers though.

Think about how much in a single year, you may have to pay in tea money. The total isn't much.

Contrast with back home:

-Thugs who can legally wheel clamp and hold you to ransom.

-Traffic wardens and jobs-worth attitude.

-Concealed speed cameras.

-Compulsory vehicle recovery from motorways (at your expense).

-Expensive insurance premiums.

I'm not saying corruption is this or that blah blah Thailand BiB and so on, instead, I just want to point out that the potential (and often real) costs of motoring back home is significantly more than in Thailand. With this in mind, tea money doesn't really irk me like it used to.

When it happens, getting stopped in Thailand is as irksome as being stopped in the UK.

The difference is about 3500 baht and penalty points on your licence :o

Took and passed a Thai motorbike driving test so have a valid licence, keep the bike in good condition, never speed and always wear a helmet.

I have been pulled over by police twice in 20 years on my motorbike in Thailand. The police checked my papers, checked over the bike, than with a nice smile and very polite thank you, sent me on my merry way. NO PROBLEM.

You drive at 110 kms per hour with a 'kid in the car' ????? :o

Thats only 66 miles per hour in the U.S. We drive 80-90 mph normally....With or without kids in the car.

Edit: if you drive in the left hand lane your chances are pretty good of getting hit. If you drive less than 110 klm in the right lane

your chances of getting rear ended or sideswiped by a pissed off driver are greatly increased.

Edited by Beardog