List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

so big bill's actually good for real?

Well........you probably won't think so.

Went to Big Bill's today - will definitley be back

I just ate a chicken parmisan sandwich today, It was YUMMY!

Bills place is a little hard to find... but once you get there, the food is good.

Mother's Day isn't the best time to sample new restaurants, as everywhere tends to be crowded and with what that means in terms of lowering of standards of both food and service. On that basis, we went for an earlier (11.30 a.m.) lunch today, and played it safe by going back to one of our favourites, Mamtrio.

Maybe because it was early, but neither of us had a large appetite, and unusually for me, I opted for a couple of farang choices from the menu. First up was a very good pumpkin soup with corn and crab meat. Very tasty along with a warm roll and butter. My main was pieces of battered fish (red snapper), with fries and a tomato relish. Again very good. M'Sahib had a salad of prawns and various bits and pieces, mainly lemongrass, along with one of the best Pad Thai's that either of us have ever tasted. Made with large prawns, it was excellent. We split one of their chocolate pannacota's between us, and I had a mocha coffee to round everything off. Excellent lunch, made even better because from today (12th) up to and including the 16th, all food has a 20% discount.

There was a couple of complimentary chilled lime drinks when we arrived, and a small bottle of perfume for M'Sahib when we left. Photos of food below, click on one to enlarge......

post-62520-0-49204400-1344756101_thumb.j

post-62520-0-88867400-1344756116_thumb.j

post-62520-0-80460900-1344756130_thumb.j

post-62520-0-88856300-1344756148_thumb.j

post-62520-0-08947300-1344756165_thumb.j

post-62520-0-20177300-1344756180_thumb.j

post-62520-0-85654600-1344756195_thumb.j

post-62520-0-94471300-1344756211_thumb.j

Cosa Nostra at the entrance of Patak Villa 500M west of Chalong CIrcle, behind the first row of shophouses is a little hard to find, but if you like Italian at a reasonable price, it can't be beat. I had a massive Calzone for 240B which I am still trying to finish. I have had meals 3x the price at other Italian restaurants that were not any better. The owner is a very rotund and jovial Italian guy, just the kind of person you would expect to own a good Italian restaurant.

http://phuketdir.com/cosanostradelivery/

utf-8bUGhvdG8wNDM0LmpwZw.jpg

• Like 1

I went to the new Sukishi at Tesco-lotus. I urge everyone not to waste their 300baht and to save a few day's wage and come up with 50baht extra for the yakuniku bbq place between Farang restaurant and Index. (amazing 350b unlimited buffet with large shrimps and other seafood/good quality beef and bacon and pretty decent sashimi, 120~ baht extra for unlimited beer)

Im a big lover for MK. I love the broth and the sauce is my favorite sauce in all of thailand and have failed for years to recreate it. Sukishi's suki buffet is extremely bland. You have 3 choice of broth which are tasteless and all the meat is obviously tasteless because its boiled(Appetizing bacon on the treys but tasteless after a good boil) The sauce is pretty decent though.

It's basically a bad all-you-can-eat MK.

+'s are the many choice of fountain brevage, choice of having more than one broth per table - unlimited salmon sashimi -sushi - fried and tempura shrimp - garlic rice - ice cream and unlike MK you get full from all the meet you can have.

If they would add a small grill next to the boiler it would become quite attractive as the beef and bacon do seem to be of extremely good quality.

I occasionally meet a couple of friends to do some website work at Monkeypod on the way to Paklok. It is on the left just past where the 4 lane road ends. They seem to be doing good business. Yesterday I had a very good chicken corden bleu with a creamy rambutan sauce. Have tried their hamburger a couple of weeks ago which was also good. They serve good coffee & hot chocolate.

Went to Ellis Pizza new location last night ..

Very clean almost to clean...sterile comes to mind..

Regular cheese pizza was ok...but...

small pie (180bht ) so we ordered 2 pizzas for 2 people ....

tasted ok but not very filling small pie skimpy on the cheese in my opinion..

we were still hungry after we ate..

but

I will return again, the pasta dishes and eggplant coming out of the kitchen looked very nice will try them next time as Pizza's are to small..

the new location is good and open til late 1am...

lots of pretty girls wondering about as well if thats what your into....

Cosa Nostra at the entrance of Patak Villa 500M west of Chalong CIrcle, behind the first row of shophouses is a little hard to find, but if you like Italian at a reasonable price, it can't be beat. I had a massive Calzone for 240B which I am still trying to finish. I have had meals 3x the price at other Italian restaurants that were not any better. The owner is a very rotund and jovial Italian guy, just the kind of person you would expect to own a good Italian restaurant.

http://phuketdir.com...nostradelivery/

On the basis of your recommendation, we'd been twice in the last couple of weeks, and found the food OK (not sure where the 'lots of pretty girls' came from, but they don't appear at lunchtime that's for sure!). Calzone is good, and my wife enjoyed a 4 cheese pizza last time we were there.

We actually went along this afternoon quite late, on the basis of having a very early supper to beat the 6 o'clock alcohol restriction, only to find that they were closed at 3.30 p.m. when we arrived, and not open again until 5.30 p.m. So, we'll mooch around somewhere else we decide.

Heading from Chalong Circle towards Rawai, we spots an open Italian at the Fisherman's Way complex. I've seen this place before but heard mixed reports. Anyway, we thought to give it ago as the wife was in desperate need of food.

'Rossovivo' is a large, well equipped place, though with quite a sterile atmosphere inside. There's quite extensive seating outside for if you smoke, or do not sweat profusely.

Menu and prices looks OK, but beware of the dreaded 10% Service Charge/7% VAT that's going to accompany the bill. That said, when we were leaving, the wife was offered a 10% discount card, which balances things up.

Wife had another 4 cheese pizza, which she thought was actually better than Cosa Nostra, and some very good roast vegetables. I had a tagliatelle with Italian sausage, and a tomato bruschetta on the side. The tagliatelle was perfectly al dente, though the Italian sausage lacked the distinctive flavouring of fennel and nutmeg that I expect. The bruschetta was OK, but the bread could have done with being rubbed more with garlic, and a bit more olive oil and salt.

Overall, it was a reasonable meal, and we would go back. I think they've already reduced prices to allow for the plus/plus scenario, as a glass of house wine was 80 baht, as was a small Singha.

Some photos below of the surroundings and food. Click to enlarge.

post-62520-0-33688100-1345892470_thumb.j

post-62520-0-86333900-1345892517_thumb.j

post-62520-0-80558000-1345892560_thumb.j

post-62520-0-73047000-1345892591_thumb.j

post-62520-0-89535800-1345892619_thumb.j

post-62520-0-42305000-1345892650_thumb.j

post-62520-0-29468300-1345892676_thumb.j

post-62520-0-72544600-1345892706_thumb.j

post-62520-0-88268100-1345892736_thumb.j

post-62520-0-09595500-1345892775_thumb.j

I really enjoyed this Italian place as well. Food tasted good but they also gave me one of the worst food poisoning i have had in Thailand.

Well, morning after, and no ill effects. Guess it could have been somebody you ate..........biggrin.png

I really want Wine Connection in Kata to be on my favorites list, but having gone twice now I still can't say it is. On the first visit 8 of 9 of their daft beers were sold out, and they were inexplicably blasting profanity laced rap music. I went again yesterday with a small group of 5 people. It was very busy but again music was a problem. The bass was turned way up and it gave us all headaches. It got comical from there. We lost count at how many errors in the orders there were. There was hair in one persons ravioli, and a fly in the butter. My Cordon Blue was still clucking. The center of the chicken was completely uncooked. I sent it back and they returned with a new one that still was not fully cooked! angry.png

It's only been open a month so I am hopeful they will get the kinks worked out soon. I really hope Wine Connection is able to keep the quality and service they have shown at other locations and not turn into cheap, awful restaurant a tourist goes to once like that Pizza/Thai place on the corner of Kata Rd. and Koktonot Rd. behind Kata Beach Resort.

I went to Adam Kebab last night. Still open....Got a take-away Kebab....Still about the same smile.png Had

a drink with the rowdy E-san girls outside while waiting for my dinner smile.png

I thought he had left Thailand for good or is someone else running it now?

Talked to the owner lady just before she left for Sweden.

She said that they "may" be back in three months, or, they may stay there permanently.

Glad to hear they're back. Reasonable kebab for a cheap price and the Isaan ladies out front are a good laugh.

I went to Adam Kebab last night. Still open....Got a take-away Kebab....Still about the same smile.png Had

a drink with the rowdy E-san girls outside while waiting for my dinner smile.png

She said that they "may" be back in three months, or, they may stay there permanently.

Glad to hear they're back. Reasonable kebab for a cheap price and the Isaan ladies out front are a good laugh.

Maybe we should do the Phuket TV get together there. "Kebobs n' Beers" with the Isaan ladies.

• Like 1

I occasionally meet a couple of friends to do some website work at Monkeypod on the way to Paklok. It is on the left just past where the 4 lane road ends. They seem to be doing good business. Yesterday I had a very good chicken corden bleu with a creamy rambutan sauce. Have tried their hamburger a couple of weeks ago which was also good. They serve good coffee & hot chocolate.

I want to withdraw my recommendation for Monkeypod as they have increased their prices, some by 50%. There was no apology from the owner & her only excuse was the prices at Makro had gone up. Seemed to be far less customers there yesterday.

Yes, excellent news.

So Sweden was not the promised land.

Farang restaurant is good at cooking 'higher grade' food fast, maybe they're simply bad at cheap peasant food. I know their burger is not that good but all the pasta dishes are great for a 3mins wait time. (blue cheese pasta hmmmhmm so good)

3 mins wait for a good pasta dishes??? Really do you think that pre cooked pasta is good??????whistling.gif

Think maybe you're confusing 'pre cooked' with 'freshly made'. The tagliatelle I make myself typically takes 2 minutes to cook, rather than the dried shop bought versions which are 10-12 minutes.

Edit reason: I was actually looking for another post that I wanted to respond to when I came across this. Apologies because of the time span from the original post.

Edited by pagallim

Farang restaurant is good at cooking 'higher grade' food fast, maybe they're simply bad at cheap peasant food. I know their burger is not that good but all the pasta dishes are great for a 3mins wait time. (blue cheese pasta hmmmhmm so good)

3 mins wait for a good pasta dishes??? Really do you think that pre cooked pasta is good??????whistling.gif

Think maybe you're confusing 'pre cooked' with 'freshly made'. The tagliatelle I make myself typically takes 2 minutes to cook, rather than the dried shop bought versions which are 10-12 minutes.

Edit reason: I was actually looking for another post that I wanted to respond to when I came across this. Apologies because of the time span from the original post.

Confused? I asked, in Farang restaurant, spaghetti, not fresh egg pasta... and spaghetti arrived after 3 or 4 minutes, very small portion (but tasty), clearly pre-cooked and definitely not "al dente" .

Edited by greenwater

Confused? I asked, in Farang restaurant, spaghetti, not fresh egg pasta... and spaghetti arrived after 3 or 4 minutes, very small portion (but tasty), clearly pre-cooked and definitely not "al dente" .

OK, you asked for spaghetti, and though a small portion, you were happy. My point was that don't think that because pasta can arrive quickly, that it's not properly prepared or cooked. Always subjective of course, and from my own perspective, if I'm not happy, just ask for another dish. Fresh spaghetti is equally as quick to prepare and serve, you only need the correct attachment on the pasta roller.

OK, you asked for spaghetti, and though a small portion, you were happy. My point was that don't think that because pasta can arrive quickly, that it's not properly prepared or cooked. Always subjective of course, and from my own perspective, if I'm not happy, just ask for another dish. Fresh spaghetti is equally as quick to prepare and serve, you only need the correct attachment on the pasta roller.

I regret to inform you that do not exist fresh "spaghetti". In Italy (by law) spaghetti are dry pasta extruded and only made with durum wheat and the minimum time of cooking is more than 8 minutes. Also "spaghettini" (=little spaghetti) a special size made for restaurant must be done with durum wheat and need 5 minutes cooking time.

Of course if you use soft flour or flour mixed or add eggs are no longer the classic Italian "spaghetti" and cooking time and taste are very different.

Pre-cooked not mind badly cooked, but it is certainly not the best way to cook and serve a good and true italian spaghetti dish.

Edited by greenwater
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://phuketdir.com...nostradelivery/

We've got into the habit of dropping into Cosa Nostra occasionally, and I concur with NJ's remarks. The pizzas are very good, the pastas properly al dente, and in short everything has that 'home cooked' flavour. Coupled with a pleasant atmosphere for what is really a small and out of the way place, it seems to have a following of regular resident expats. We were there for a supper this evening, a photo of the spaghetti with seafood that my wife thoroughly enjoyed......

post-62520-0-75666300-1349186437_thumb.j

Edited by pagallim

Out mid morning for a hair cut, and popped into my wife's office for a coffee afterwards. We decide to go for a very early lunch together at Uptown, where neither of us had been for quite a few months.

This place is always quite busy, and the food selection and quality is excellent. Prices are also reasonable, bordering on cheap. For a quick meal in the centre of Phuket Town (near Robinsons), you would be hard pushed to find a better place.

Some photos of the place and the excellent fried noodle with chicken and cashew nuts that I had. Click to enlarge.

post-62520-0-92551600-1349329486_thumb.j

post-62520-0-86616200-1349329538_thumb.j

post-62520-0-80062200-1349329558_thumb.j

post-62520-0-88537700-1349329578_thumb.j

La Gaetana in Phuket town

starter mushroom something :)

spaghetti with lobster

spaghetti with salmon

garlic bread

feta cheese

dessert pannacotta

two glasses of wine and sparkling water

3000thb

good recommendation with the food from the owner

but a more basic explanation about the food in the menu would be great and book a table becuse they only have 4-5 tables..

20121007084058-118.173.78.123.JPG