Buying A Car

I've been thinking of buying a car for some time; was at the mall today where they were displaying several different brands, such as Honda, Toyota and Proton.

I really liked the look of the Proton Gen-2, priced at about 600,000; but am some what doubtful as i'm not really familiar with the brand, but i'm not totally adverse to trying something new.

It's in the same price range as a Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris; neither of which i really liked.

I'm seriously considering getting myself the Gen-2, has anyone else purchased one or a Proton in general, anythings that i should be aware of.

Also are there any other cars in a similar price range that i should be looking at first?

Thanks

In the UK Proton are considered a very cheap car in a similar way that Skoda used to be. My friends wife had one and it was underpowered tinny and generally lightweight. Honda and Toyota have excellent reps for quality.

Also that model would be half the price in the UK not that it makes much difference.

In the UK Proton are considered a very cheap car in a similar way that Skoda used to be. My friends wife had one and it was underpowered tinny and generally lightweight. Honda and Toyota have excellent reps for quality.

Also that model would be half the price in the UK not that it makes much difference.

I'm not sure where you are getting this half the price? As i've been looking on some UK review sites and they say the price is about 8,000-10,000 GBP (which is about the same price as here 540,000-600,000 baht)?

Are there any Honda/Toyota models in the same price range/style that you'd recommend?

we had a gen-2 at home in malaysia (not mine,but a relative). small and uncomfortable (especially for the back passengers). engine extremely underpowered which is a Campro Malaysian made engine. it was not a good buy. nevertheless i heard that there have been many improveness in the engine and the trasmission system. it does look nice though. maybe cause of my bad experiences with Gen-2. Proton Savvy is a nice little car though and alright for the price and value.

if you really don't want to go wrong with quality, performance and second-hand value, then the Vios would be a better buy.

I've been thinking of buying a car for some time; was at the mall today where they were displaying several different brands, such as Honda, Toyota and Proton.

I really liked the look of the Proton Gen-2, priced at about 600,000; but am some what doubtful as i'm not really familiar with the brand, but i'm not totally adverse to trying something new.

It's in the same price range as a Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris; neither of which i really liked.

I'm seriously considering getting myself the Gen-2, has anyone else purchased one or a Proton in general, anythings that i should be aware of.

Also are there any other cars in a similar price range that i should be looking at first?

Thanks

I've never owned a Proton, but I've rented them several times in Malaysia (not much else to choose from). Certainly I would never consider buying one - tinny, underpowered and have a habit of minor/annoying things breaking (like windows jamming, indicator stick falling off etc.). Personally I'd go for one of the cheaper Japanese cars - more expensive than the Proton but less hassle to keep on the road.

Looks of a car are indeed important - however will you be looking at it sat on the drive in the same way when it is in need of a service or parts.

There is a reason that local people buy locally supported cars, Toyotas and Hondas are serviced by many places in Thailand, cheap running costs and availability of parts and people that know how to fix your car is much more important to me than just it's looks, IMHO. Have you looked at Vios or Corolla - all those taxi drivers must drive down spares costs.

You could get a nice Ranger pick up like mine for that money. :o

Thanks for the responses.

After hearing about the Toyota Vios i decided to visit a Toyota dealership and also a Honda dealership to see the Honda City (as both Vios and City are in the same price range as the Gen-2).

After visiting the showrooms i seriously lost all motivation for buying a car, these models just didn't seem to do anything for me (did not feel any excitement about the prospect of driving/buy either car).

So i went back to see the Gen-2 again, to see if maybe i had just overrated it at first pass. But seeing it after the, IMHO, plain/boring Vios and City it looked even better than yesterday.

I think I may go back and visit all 3 cars one more time, plus maybe go to a Chevy dealer to see the Aveo. But right now, despite all the warnings, i'm still strongly leaning towards the Proton (if i can manage to convince the wife it is a good idea, which might be easier said than done. )

Edited by dave111223

I'm not sure where you are getting this half the price? As i've been looking on some UK review sites and they say the price is about 8,000-10,000 GBP (which is about the same price as here 540,000-600,000 baht)?

Are there any Honda/Toyota models in the same price range/style that you'd recommend?

I think this "half the price in the UK" is a myth. There was another thread about it not long ago, and I posted some prices of the Toyota Yaris here and in the UK - almost identical.

Bu then, as you say, thats not relevant as the thread is about Protons in Thailand, not Yaris in UK :o

I've driven Protons in Malaysia, and they seemed OK to me.

After hearing about the Toyota Vios i decided to visit a Toyota dealership and also a Honda dealership to see the Honda City (as both Vios and City are in the same price range as the Gen-2).

After visiting the showrooms i seriously lost all motivation for buying a car, these models just didn't seem to do anything for me (did not feel any excitement about the prospect of driving/buy either car).

So i went back to see the Gen-2 again, to see if maybe i had just overrated it at first pass. But seeing it after the, IMHO, plain/boring Vios and City it looked even better than yesterday.

I think I may go back and visit all 3 cars one more time, plus maybe go to a Chevy dealer to see the Aveo. But right now, despite all the warnings, i'm still strongly leaning towards the Proton (if i can manage to convince the wife it is a good idea, which might be easier said than done. )

At the end of the day, if it's what you want, go for it. Sounds like you've made up you mind anyway and there's nothing wrong with that. BE DIFFERENT you don't have to drive what everyone else has !

geoffphuket

At the end of the day, if it's what you want, go for it. Sounds like you've made up you mind anyway and there's nothing wrong with that. BE DIFFERENT you don't have to drive what everyone else has !

geoffphuket

Before buying a Vios I had an "unusual" car, an Opel Corsa. It was great until it broke down, which it did three times in Pattaya, before there was a GM dealer there, necessitating being towed all the way to Cholburi, three times.

The question I would want to ask is what is the service and support like? Supposing you break down on Koh Chang, for example, how far away is the nearest dealer?? It was for this reason I went for a Toyota.

Edited by grtaylor

you should not worry about service centers etc if driving near border towns :o then again .. like geoffphuket mentioned, if you like it, then go for it..

nothing wrong with protons, i have owned one before and enjoyed it for 6 years before i sold it cause i moved away.

Before buying a Vios I had an "unusual" car, an Opel Corsa. It was great until it broke down, which it did three times in Pattaya, before there was a GM dealer there, necessitating being towed all the way to Cholburi, three times.

The question I would want to ask is what is the service and support like? Supposing you break down on Koh Chang, for example, how far away is the nearest dealer?? It was for this reason I went for a Toyota.

Good point i will have to check where the service centers are first before buying.

I mostly would be driving around Bangkok, but i do occasionally take a trip Koh Chang or Rayong area and it would be nice to know if they had service centers around those areas.

Do you think a general mechanic (the kind of mechanic huts you see on Koh Chang with parts strewn all over the place) be able to fix simple stuff like a broke fan belt or something. Or do you they'd just see an unfamiliar brand and run the other way?

Good point i will have to check where the service centers are first before buying.

I mostly would be driving around Bangkok, but i do occasionally take a trip Koh Chang or Rayong area and it would be nice to know if they had service centers around those areas.

Do you think a general mechanic (the kind of mechanic huts you see on Koh Chang with parts strewn all over the place) be able to fix simple stuff like a broke fan belt or something. Or do you they'd just see an unfamiliar brand and run the other way?

No problem with simple things at all. In my case it was things like the water pump, which, of course, meant an Opel spare part was needed.

Lived in Malaysia for many years and watched the Proton go down hill. Due mostly to QA/QC problems the car company has lost its #1 position in Malaysia. That in it self should tell you something when the locals are disgruntled with the local product despite its price advantages.

The Gen II was an in-house design including the under powered engine and like their first in-house designed car (Wira) has materials and assembly problems along with mechanical issues.

I would not and could not recommend a Proton to anyone other than my enemies until such time as they get their act together. Oh and Proton was replaced by Purodua as the #1 in Malaysia. It is your basic POS.

So i have decided (and after 2 weeks of persuading my wife has agreed) to buy the Proton Gen-2.

My wife wanted to buy a Honda city, but each time we went to the showroom for a test drive the test car was "broken" (didn't actually help my wife's case much)

We just got approved for the financing (how we managed this i have no idea as neither of has a "job", we are both self employed and all we showed them were some bank books with a total higher than the value of the car)... i guess getting approved for a loan is a little easier than back home.

I know several posters have advised against it, but... at the end of the day i'm one of those people who never learns until i've been burnt myself. (I just wanted to make sure there were no real horrible stories about this car out there)

The car should be ready by next week, so to anyone reading this thread in the future; if i have not posted any updates you can assume i am happy with the car (or have been in a terrible car accident due to the poor safely specs. and am no longer able to post: you decide).