Re-entry Permit

Thanks lopburi, as always. I read that on the form, but blanked it out of my mind after yesterday's marathon 4 1/2 hour visit and thought I could do it on behalf of myself and my partner. Anyway, last one doesn't expire till 22 May, so visit to Hong Kong tomorrow until 19 May is within that.

You can speed the process by downloading the forms, filling them out and sending them by email before your visit. Check right column for details.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php

Yes and take a copy of the application form, signed, plus the required paperwork/passport/cash. You don't even have to go into the building if you go by car. Park at the window..there are two allocated spaces..it takes less than 5 minutes.

You can go inside, don't need to queue for a number, just go straight to the window at the end..it says something like internet application.

You do need to apply via internet more than one day before you go in person..suggest two days. If the car park attendent tells you to move on just say..they told me to wait here two minutes!

Thanks for the information on internet applications. I just returned from my HK trip this evening, but was very surprised that I was only given the permitted to remain stamp until 22 May 2008, (the expiry of my Re-entry permit), and not till the expiry of my new extension of stay (Retirement Visa) until 22 May 2009. Seems odd that the limit is based on the Re-entry permit expiry, and not the latter. Do you think they've made a mistake?

When you extend your stay you must always obtain a new re-entry permit to match that stay. You will now have to extend your stay again as you departed without a valid re-entry permit for the new extension of stay. Unfortunately you did not mention having obtained a new extension of stay in this thread so we did not make the connection.

I'm confused. He went out and came back within the time frame of his re-entry permit and his old visa extension. Why should it effect his newer visa extension? He couldn't go out and back in on the new one as it wasn't effective yet and he would be cutting it very close to wait and extend his visa until he got back.

I would have thought it could have been pointed out to immigration at the airport that he had an extension that was good until 2009 and that they would have stamped him accordingly.

His new visa extension was obviously effective if his expiration date was 2009. So he departed without a re-entry permit for that new extension of stay. So that extension of stay is now invalid and he will have to obtain a new one. The re-entry permit is specific to an extension of stay - the one he used was for his previous extension of stay and the expiration date matched that.

Unfortunately you did not mention having obtained a new extension of stay in this thread so we did not make the connection.

Well I understood from his "after yesterday's marathon 4 1/2 hour visit "

that he had extended his visa - but not explicitly stated agreed !

Whenever you extend your visa you MUST get a NEW Re-entry Permit.

I am surpised that they let him use his old one which is surely obsolete

upon getting the new extension.

In my opinion - if he is from a country that qualifies - he should have been given a 30 day Visa Free entry stamp

(and be made to apply for a Completely New Non Immigrant Retirement Visa)

When he returned from HK - he had NO valid Visa.

Lopburi - Sunbelt - Do you Agree ??

Samtam what Passport do you hold?

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

I'm confused. He went out and came back within the time frame of his re-entry permit and his old visa extension. Why should it effect his newer visa extension? He couldn't go out and back in on the new one as it wasn't effective yet and he would be cutting it very close to wait and extend his visa until he got back.

I would have thought it could have been pointed out to immigration at the airport that he had an extension that was good until 2009 and that they would have stamped him accordingly.

"Newer" Extensions are surely Effective IMMEDIATELY.

They replace the "older" extension.

Edited by WilliamIV

OMG. Does this mean I have to show proof of funds again for three months? I remitted funds out of Thailand after I received the extension of stay. How should I proceed?

You need to bring the Funds back in

(- some say having Funds in your Account for 3 months

prior to extention - only applies for FIRST extentions)

and re-apply for a new extension on or before 22 May 2008

Please let us know how you get on.

I suggest you do NOT go to the Window

"Corrections of Errors at Airport"

- you may end up with a 30 day

Visa Free Entry stamp and have to start

your Retirement Visa Application all over from square one.

( New Non Immigrant Visa from Home Country)

I sympathise with your predicament

but I think you have a Big Problem

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

At this point he may be better with a 30 day entry/convert to new 90 day non immigrant O - as his money will likely have to age - unless he gets a very understanding officer. By all means give it a try but suspect you may have to obtain a new non immigrant O visa and then when money has been here 3 months make a new application for extension.

His new visa extension was obviously effective if his expiration date was 2009. So he departed without a re-entry permit for that new extension of stay. So that extension of stay is now invalid and he will have to obtain a new one. The re-entry permit is specific to an extension of stay - the one he used was for his previous extension of stay and the expiration date matched that.

Indeed, quite stupid and illogic from Immigration to make matters that complicated.

I had a situation with a new passport where the transferred extension was no longer in line with the transferred multiple re-entry permit, which made my extension void after a foreign trip.

Update:

I went to Suan Plu this morning and explained my predicament and they have given me a new re-entry permit based on the new visa extension I obtained last week. I asked twice whether this superseded the "permitted to stay" stamp I obtained last night (which I used to exit on 15/5 and renter on 19/5) and which I thought continued to be valid until its expiry on 22/5, and was advised "Yes", (it did supersede). So I have both the extension of stay obtained last week, plus the new re-entry permit issued today with the same expiry 22 May 2009. My partner received the same. Were we lucky?

Edited by samtam

Update:

I went to Suan Plu this morning and explained my predicament and they have given me a new re-entry permit based on the new visa extension I obtained last week. I asked twice whether this superseded the "permitted to stay" stamp I obtained last night (which I used to exit on 15/5 and renter on 19/5) and which I thought continued to be valid until its expiry on 22/5, and was advised "Yes", (it did supersede). So I have both the extension of stay obtained last week, plus the new re-entry permit issued today with the same expiry 22 May 2009. My partner received the same. Were we lucky?

I think I'd be tempted to a border crossing with the new re-entry permit....a new 'permitted to stay until' stamp would be desirable

geoffphuket

Thks geoffphuket, but surely having pointed out the discrepency to Immigration between the new re-entry permit, (issued 20 May 2008) and the Permitted to Stay valid until 21 May 2008, and their confirmation that the new Re-entry is valid, and supersedes it and it coincides with the new Extension of Stay, then they have effectively overridden the Permitted to Stay stamp issued last night at Suvarnabhumi?

Of course I have doubts given the advice presented in the foregoing, but I can't think they would have issued the new re-entry permit today if there was a problem.

Many thanks lopburi. I will buy that lottery ticket. Clearly we were lucky, and I set out to SP Immigration asap after I read your earlier post, expecting the worst, but as both the Information counter and then the Re-entry Permit counter stated the same thing, I felt sure that we were lucky.

I presume you base your remark "you should be good with the new re-entry permit" based on the fact that if they had had a problem with it they would not have issued it.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a search and did not find an answer to the following question.

Is there a limit on how long you can stay out of the country?

what if you leave the country a month before your extension expires and return after the extension expires.

You are talking about use of re-entry permit?

The re-entry permit has the same expiration date as your permitted to stay stamp on the day you obtained it. So if you return before that date you can stay until that date. If you return later you do not enter using that re-entry permit.

You are talking about use of re-entry permit?

yes, the re-entry permit.

The re-entry permit has the same expiration date as your permitted to stay stamp on the day you obtained it. So if you return before that date you can stay until that date. If you return later you do not enter using that re-entry permit.

I don't understand what you wrote regarding the re-entry permit because I don't know the terminology. I just read about this just a few days ago here.

I have only been in Thailand for 1 1/2 years and have gotten 2 "O" multi entry 1 year visas. I am not planning to return to the USA for a long while. Except for the financial requirements, I am a newbie when it comes to getting a visa extension. Is there a web page that describes all the rules and my rights when using a visa extension, re-entry permits, how often can one leave the country, what if you are out of the country after your extension expires, and other possible issues.

I don't want to bother you guys (gals) until I have read some material and need some real world experienced opinions if I have questions.

Thanks