Tourist Visa In Kota Bharu

most people on this board are not 'intrepid' enough to use this consulate. is somewhat stingy with visas and as conservative as the region that hosts it. im sure 2 photos, money and the app will do you. would not hurt to speak some malay or indonesian if not you will be as much as a disadvantage xing the border as any other land xing w/ thailand (not speaking the nations language). it is one if not THE most conservative region of malaysia. it is also the poorest. kb is not penang, has much more 'flava'. chok.dee/salamat.sucesss

"Anyone been to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu to get a tourist visa recently? Is it ok? Any problems? Thanks!"

never been im affraid, but luumak dont recomened it by sound!

penang not everyones fav at mo

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167666

laos fav at mo, cos they giving out wi odd problem!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=158561

both above worth a read !

usernamex if you go will you post an update if you get chance, for those of us that might want to try if it gives out TVx2 etc! plus any hints or tricks or places to stay, sounds like you bin before!

cheers chris

I have been there last December, just after the christmas and before the New Year and ther Muslim festival holidays; that was the only working day in between and I had to wait 5 days in order to collect my passpot back with double entries visa, but I do not know whether is it because they usually give double entries or because my wife was speaking to the staff in Malay language?

There were only one German couple (tourist) with me, so it did not take any time to apply.

During my stay I have noticed that there were only one farang guy in the city (too small to miss), and no wonder as the province is very conservative and the people don't like to mix with foreigners; even Maly citizen from other races (Chinese, Indian, etc.) are not allowed to buy property or conduct a business in the province except in some extreme cases.

Kelantan, the province in which (Kota Bharu is it's capital city) contrary to what the others believe, is the richest province in Malaysia, but the people there likes to have a humble life.

They do not care about development, nor the central government care about developing the area (as the province rulers are from the opposition party).

There is nothing much to see and there is no night life. Although they have a beautiful, very clean beach, no one really go to swim (women are not allowed to).

Hotels are quite cheap comparing to other cities in Malaysia, however they will be almost completely full during the Malay long holidays.

There are two shoping centers where you can hang around, but that is all what you can do; Tesco supermarket have just opend it's doors on the third of January this year, and "Giant" supermarket is under construction and will be opend very soon; but remember that they all close during the prayer times, and if you are inside a supermarket -for instance- you will be stuck there until the prayer is finished.

City centre is not far from the Thai Consulate -about 10 minutes walking distance- and most of the hotels are around that area.

The local, city, intercity and provinces bus station is also located in the city centre.

If you go by train, the boarder is not far from the station in Songi Kolok, you can either take a motorcycle or simply just walk straight for about 10 minutes to the Thai border, then you cross a very short bridge to the Malay boarder (immigration office).

walk about 150 m to the bus stop and get the bus to Kota bahru (take about one hour) and here you are in the city centre.

My advise to you -regardless wether you can get one or double entries visa from the Consulate- unless you have a nice companion to spend time with, forget about going there, as you are really not very welcomed there and you can't predict the Consulate working days; however if you are like me, love adventures, then go ahead and I can give you names and adresses of few hotels in Kota Bharu upon your request.

I hope my information is sufficient and good luck.

Bishop

i do not find kb very clean personally but i also do not find the locals unfriendly - you just need to speak some of the language. people have this mindset that penang or even kul is 'malaysia' and they are not.

muslims by nature (especially these days) are going to be wary and less than outgoing toward non-muslims its a cultural and religious thing. for what its worth - the malay ethnicities dont mix much either.

i will not comment specifically on the consulates activities and turnarounds. try it and see -

Bishop, thanks for the answers, its very helpful.

yep very good info on that, so no need to go there then, and i hope he gets that job at KB tourism office! :o

chris

I don’t understand what did you mean by saying (I hope he gets that job at KB tourism office!); and I don’t understand why you look so angry either?

The gentleman asked a simple question and I answered him to the best of my experience and knowledge. I gave him the basic information and I added a little advice concluded with affirmation that if he were an adventure lover, like me, then he should go ahead. It is a personal advice and has nothing to do with any government or agencies (just take it or leave it).

I didn’t scare him off by telling him how is the situation in the deep south, simply because he will be just a passerby and the chance to get hurt is very slim (but certainly it not zero too).

However in KB itself, it is very safe, and in the matter of fact I never felt safer anywhere else on the world. Though the people are very conservative, they are very friendly and would always help who ever in need.

Most of the Malay new generation can speak English fairly and you will never get lost if you ask for direction, so do that as much as it would take.

One more thing Chris, it seems to me that the gentleman is going there anyway, otherwise he woudn’t bother to reply or ask any more questions; however why you look so desperate to send him there?

We all like to learn something from other people experience, but that when the people themselves make the choice; we don’t push them to do something just to satisfy our curiosity.

I still want to help much more if I know that he is seriously going there; I can email him with a map showing the direction to the nearest hotel to the consulate along with the consulate location; I can give him further details to the trip itself. I don’t work for any tourism agency but certainly I do my homework very well before I go to any where, whether through the internet or any other possible information provider.

I hope that I have cleared the misunderstanding (if there was any) and remember that I am just trying to help, no more, no less.

Thank you and have a very nice day

Bishop

I went to KB many years ago with a Danish girlfriend. The local ladies liked to open their veils and spit at her, even though she was well covered up (the blond hair?). I also remember their being tiny holes in the walls of the bedroom and toilet (peep holes) of the guesthouse (as in KL and Penang too).

The city was very boring, but just off the coast are a couple of fantastic islands (some of the best diving, and nicest places I've ever been - Perhetian Islands) where the people were very nice; as per Malaysia in general.

I like Malaysia, but would be loathe to visit KB, now, with the tensions on the Thai / Malaysian border - probably an over reaction on my part, but it's as easy to go elsewhere.

This hotel was my first choice too, it is located just oposit the bus station, however thier TV programs are local, which means if you don't speak Malay or Indian, then there is nothing to wach during the long evening time; that was during my last visit, so check it out first, maybe they have added a movie channel now, if not then you can check with several hotels in the area falling under the same range of prices (50-70 Ringet).

My favourit hotels at this range are:

1. Kencana Lodge: Lot PT 316-PT 324, Jalan (street) Sri Cemerlang, Kebun Sultan, 15350 KB.

Tel. 09-747 7222, 746 1073, 747 3139 Fax: 09-744 0181.

2. E "n" E: Located in the same lane but opposit side; it is owend by chiese and most of its customers are singaporean, so it is a little harder to find room available there. This hotel has another branch but further in distance, and the address is: Lot 2, Seksyen 8,Blok A,B,C,D Jalan Merbau Tel.09 743 9968 .

Both hotels are very near to the bus station too and both of them have HBO channel, in fact they were the only two hotels with moveie chanels under 150 Ringet.

Money changer are not everywhere so remember to change at a shop just behind Suria hotel, and when you arrive to the Malay border do not change large amount of money there as the rate is very bad.

If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me by PM.

Have a nice trip and good luck.

Bishop

At one time KB was a recommended location for border runs.

The consul was friendly and visa run companies had arrangements for a quick turn around.

How times change.

Bishop, thanks for the answers, its very helpful.

yep very good info on that, so no need to go there then, and i hope he gets that job at KB tourism office! :o

chris

I don’t understand what did you mean by saying (I hope he gets that job at KB tourism office!); and I don’t understand why you look so angry either?

The gentleman asked a simple question and I answered him to the best of my experience and knowledge. I gave him the basic information and I added a little advice concluded with affirmation that if he were an adventure lover, like me, then he should go ahead. It is a personal advice and has nothing to do with any government or agencies (just take it or leave it).

I didn’t scare him off by telling him how is the situation in the deep south, simply because he will be just a passerby and the chance to get hurt is very slim (but certainly it not zero too).

However in KB itself, it is very safe, and in the matter of fact I never felt safer anywhere else on the world. Though the people are very conservative, they are very friendly and would always help who ever in need.

Most of the Malay new generation can speak English fairly and you will never get lost if you ask for direction, so do that as much as it would take.

One more thing Chris, it seems to me that the gentleman is going there anyway, otherwise he woudn’t bother to reply or ask any more questions; however why you look so desperate to send him there?

We all like to learn something from other people experience, but that when the people themselves make the choice; we don’t push them to do something just to satisfy our curiosity.

I still want to help much more if I know that he is seriously going there; I can email him with a map showing the direction to the nearest hotel to the consulate along with the consulate location; I can give him further details to the trip itself. I don’t work for any tourism agency but certainly I do my homework very well before I go to any where, whether through the internet or any other possible information provider.

I hope that I have cleared the misunderstanding (if there was any) and remember that I am just trying to help, no more, no less.

Thank you and have a very nice day

Bishop

and i hope he gets that job at KB tourism office! smile.gif

"I don’t understand what did you mean by saying (I hope he gets that job at KB tourism office!); and I don’t understand why you look so angry either?"

dont take it personally, it was the fact that you wrote an article about a place ive never been to, so i read it with an open mind, maybe window shopping as to weather i should go there and maybes get a visa as by way of a change, now your report was was very informative and good and the outcome to me was deff not go, you listed all the things i dont like, the comment did you get the job at tourist info was a joke, ie you would never get one, sorry if this offened you it was not ment to just my silly joke, and hey, when im there the bac and cokes on me!!!, thats another one im affraied, ie i wont be going so you wont get a bacardi??

chris

First I have to admit that I own Chris an apology for my over reacting and I think that I have lost my sense of humor at that moment, so forgive me Chris, I really should'nt take it personally. cheers pal.

Second I would like to add some tips for “usernamex” might help him a bit during his long journey.

As you decided to stay at the Kenkana lodge, I suggest that you call them first from a public telephone outside Suria hotel to see if they have a vacant room and what is the rate (usually around 50 Ringet or B.500) and whether they still have the HBO channel or not as you can’t be sure what will happen from one day to the next at this part of the world.

To reach the hotel you can either take a taxi (no meter, so you have to bargain), which you really don’t need unless you are carrying a heavy luggage or walk but it is a little bit tricky as the name's signs of the small streets in KB are not always clear.

Put Suria hotel on your right side and go straight to the main road (Jalan Kebun Sultan or Jalan Padang Garong, it is the same road but with two different names). Now from here straight is the Thai consulate (about one kilometer). However to go to “Kenkana hotel, turn left on the main road and walk to the next junction, where the left side street is the city center (many restaurants, shopping centers and the night market), on the right side street you might see “Kenkana lodge” sign at the corner, so cross the main road and go straight in this street and the hotel should be in a small lane on your right hand (I think it is the third lane) and you will be able to see the hotel before you enter the lane. However “E “n” E” hotel is in the same lane but left side of the street (unfortunately there is no sign of the hotel at the corner, and you can’t see it from the main street).

By the way, what is your means of transportation to KB; the reason I am asking is because if you are taking a flight, then there is no problem and you can take a taxi directly fro the airport to the hotel; but if you are going by road (train, bus, etc.) I might be able to give you some more tips to assist you in your journey. Post me if you are interested.

Cheers.

Bishop

Anyone been to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu to get a tourist visa recently? Is it ok? Any problems? Thanks!

I went there about 2 years ago.

I flew from BKK to Yala, then took a minivan to the border in Sugnai Kolok, then bus 29 to Kota Baru. If you like a bit of adventure it is fun. People will talk to you along the way as they are quite interested in what the heck you are doing here.

I stayed in a cheap but expensive chinese run guest house about 10 minutes from the centre, can't remember the name but it is a very famous hole... There are proper hotel in the centre.

The consulat opens muslim hours, meaning it was open on a sunday. You can walk there from the centre. I got a double entry visa without probleme in 24 hours.

There is enough to do there to keep you busy one day. Visit the central market, the old town, a museum. Have food in the fantastic night market in the centre. You can get beer in the chinese run restaurant. 99% of the women were veiled. Those that were not were Thai or Tourists. They were all chating on mobile phone and in Internet caffe reading pop gossips... That's progress...

People were very friendly, particularly men becasue I happene to have tatooes and they where very curious about them even if they are not massive ones!. Internet caffe everywhere, food is perfectly okay.

I went back to the border by bus, then to Sugnai Kolok train station with a motorbike, then took the train to Narathiwat with the backpacker going to BKK by the night train but flew back to BKK from Narathiwat.

[sandy]

Edited by s.pylos

Anyone been to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu to get a tourist visa recently? Is it ok? Any problems? Thanks!

I went there about 2 years ago.

I flew from BKK to Yala, then took a minivan to the border in Sugnai Kolok, then bus 29 to Kota Baru. If you like a bit of adventure it is fun. People will talk to you along the way as they are quite interested in what the heck you are doing here.

I stayed in a cheap but expensive chinese run guest house about 10 minutes from the centre, can't remember the name but it is a very famous hole... There are proper hotel in the centre.

The consulat opens muslim hours, meaning it was open on a sunday. You can walk there from the centre. I got a double entry visa without probleme in 24 hours.

There is enough to do there to keep you busy one day. Visit the central market, the old town, a museum. Have food in the fantastic night market in the centre. You can get beer in the chinese run restaurant. 99% of the women were veiled. Those that were not were Thai or Tourists. They were all chating on mobile phone and in Internet caffe reading pop gossips... That's progress...

People were very friendly, particularly men becasue I happene to have tatooes and they where very curious about them even if they are not massive ones!. Internet caffe everywhere, food is perfectly okay.

I went back to the border by bus, then to Sugnai Kolok train station with a motorbike, then took the train to Narathiwat with the backpacker going to BKK by the night train but flew back to BKK from Narathiwat.

[sandy]

You could be in and out the same day if you arrive early in the morning at the opening hours of the consulate.

Also, Sungai Golok on the Thai side of the border has some nice waterfalls worth visiting.

At the tourist centre in the middle of town, just outside the 7/11 there is a quite chatty and serviceminded guy making burgers.

If you are up for a nightsnack, this is definately the guy.

I expect the other contributor has not been to Kota Bharu, as it is totally different to what he says.

Yes it is the most conservative part of Malaysia but the Malays are lovely people and I love going there (don't expect to party all night there though as drinking is not big in this muslim area!). Oh and they are Malay so their English is good.

The Thai consulate there is really good, I have been there a number of times now for 3 and 12 month visa's with no problems at all. They speak good English. For these visa's you will have to stay overnight but there are many cheap backpacker places there.

Easy to get to Hat Yai has buses every hour I think to Sungai Kolok then you walk over the border and can pick up a taxi or bus on the other side, Kota Bharu is about 40mins away. The Thai Consulate is in the centre and is relatively easy to find, just ask at your hotel/hostel. The thai consulate is very efficient, I hear much quicker than KL, but I have not been there myself.

Be aware that friday and saturday the consulate is closed.

The only issue one of my friends had when getting a visa was they forgot to make sure the lady knew she wanted 12months instead of 2 (and the thai consulate will not fix this at a later date) so check she understands.

Glad to hear the good news, and no thanks to me, I just did what everybody else is doing in this forum; we are here to help each other to the best of our ability. I am sure that chris is glad for you too, but I doubt he would really make the trip. Wish you a pleasant stay in the land of smile and cheers pal;

Bishop

I was expecting many pop up to ask you some questions about your trip, such as how you got there? Is there were many people applying with you? How many entries you got on your visa? But it seems to me that no one really interested in that region any more! Not even Lopburi3, Maestro or Chris! Well, who can blame them?

Bishop

• 4 months later...

Bishop \ Usernamex....anyone,

I'm interested in finding out more. I'm heading down to Kota Bharu via night train from Chumpon next Monday, the 27th, arriving Sungai Kolok 11:25am on Tuesday the 28th. I'm hoping that gives me enough time to cross border, catch bus to Kota Bharu and lodge visa app between their afternoon visa consular hours of 2pm->3:30pm (thoughts??).

I then have a train ticket booked back to Chumpon the following day, Wednesday, departing Sungai Kolok at 2:20pm. So the assumption I made (or maybe the prayer I've made) is that I can pick up passport during Wednesday mornings visa consular hours of 9am->12pm, catch return bus, cross border and catch the train. What are people’s thoughts on this??

The train schedule isn’t ideal (and my seating isn’t exactly what I wanted) but everything was booked out, the surrounding days....I am lucky to get on these train dates as is. I apparently needed book earlier (booked yesterday). Current visa expires 29/10 and I have to be back no later than 31st for a friends arrival.

Visa wise....now I'm hoping (again preying) that I am able to get a Non-Imm ED visa approved. I have a letter from my scuba diving school supporting the fact that I'm undertaking a course that will take some time (I am in no rush to go home). From reading this site and others I am not liking my chances too much….really needs to be done from home country but not flying back to Australia for it. So more realistically I'm looking at applying for a multiple entry 60-day tourist visa.

As for the night in Kota Bharu I was thinking of giving Bishops suggestion a run...Kencana Lodge.

What are people’s thoughts\experience\suggestions on any of the above?

Any useful information from anyone would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Your schedule seems a bit tight. You might want to contact the conulate about how long it will take to get visa.

Royal Thai Consulate-General, Kota Bharu

4426 Jalan Pengkalan Chepa, 15400 Kota Bharu, Kelantan

Tel.(609) 744-5266, 744-5934, 748-2545

Fax.(609) 744-9801

E-mail : [email protected]

Office Hours : Sunday – Thursday : 09.00 – 17.00 hrs.

Visa and Consular Section : 09.00 – 12.00 hrs. and 14.00 – 15.30 hrs.

Edited by ubonjoe

Bishop \ Usernamex....anyone,

I'm interested in finding out more. I'm heading down to Kota Bharu via night train from Chumpon next Monday, the 27th, arriving Sungai Kolok 11:25am on Tuesday the 28th. I'm hoping that gives me enough time to cross border, catch bus to Kota Bharu and lodge visa app between their afternoon visa consular hours of 2pm->3:30pm (thoughts??).

I then have a train ticket booked back to Chumpon the following day, Wednesday, departing Sungai Kolok at 2:20pm. So the assumption I made (or maybe the prayer I've made) is that I can pick up passport during Wednesday mornings visa consular hours of 9am->12pm, catch return bus, cross border and catch the train. What are people's thoughts on this??

Visa wise....now I'm hoping (again preying) that I am able to get a Non-Imm ED visa approved. I have a letter from my scuba diving school supporting the fact that I'm undertaking a course that will take some time (I am in no rush to go home). From reading this site and others I am not liking my chances too much….really needs to be done from home country but not flying back to Australia for it. So more realistically I'm looking at applying for a multiple entry 60-day tourist visa.

It won't work, you will need to sleep 2x nights there leaving Thursday afternoon or maybe 3x nights if you need to catch the 2:20pm at Sungai Kolok.

At Khota Bharu you have to apply in the morning and pick up in the afternoon of the following working day afternoon - which is for collections only.

The bus from the border takes about 2 hours to get there and then you need to find the consulate which is well outside the town centre. Also Malaysia is one hour ahead. So you are definitely not going to get there before 12:00pm Malaysian time.

I also remember that the consulate is closed Friday and Saturday, not Sunday. KB is a very orthodox place.

I found this earilier when I was look for the consulate website. They offer a same day visa run from Narathiwat.

You might check with them. It might mean taking a bus instead of the train but you can get your train tickets refunded.

Link: http://www.traveller2000.com/visa_run.htm

I do remember now that some visa run agents at KB pay an 'express fee' but you cannot just get/pay for this service as a walk in member of the public.

I once managed to blag them into accepting an afternoon application there in 2002 by showing a return air ticket from Had Yai for the next day. Not sure if you are allowed to do this any more.