Fear & Loathing On The Yellow Book Trail

Greenside

Typically, the immigration department resumed issuing Certificates of Residence for 500 baht about ten days after I forked out 2300 baht + a 350 baht translation for a letter from the British Consul but since the Yellow Book question comes up regularly I thought I'd just finish the saga.

Having been stonewalled by the practically impossible request to have two high level government employees act as guarantors I had just about given up all hope when a friend who lives only about 500 metres away managed to get his Yellow Book with the minimum of inconvenience using a security guard from his building and his girlfriend as guarantors.

Different local office was the answer. Our friends agreed to come to the office at Three Kings to help us but we met with the same impossible demand and no convincing reason why. A visit to the office where they got theirs with such ease finally did the trick where a sympathetic lady called the other officer and presumably told her that her version of the rules was different. Maybe there was some element of seniority involved but that got us another interview and with all the paperwork in order we were allowed to use his girlfriend and mine as guarantors. After about an hour of hand written statements and much signing of multiple copies of everything it looked as if we'd reached our yellow holy grail. But this is Thailand and ...

"Any distinguishing marks sir?"

"How about this depressingly large age spot on my wrist?"

"Sorry, not good enough. You'll have to have a blood test."

"Seriously? A blood test?"

No kidding. Off to the doctor, call in my blood type, file the test results just in case anyone ever wants to know...

The book finally came through almost a month later when they'd run of reasons to stall, providing a happy ending to the long and torturous tale. Of course now they're issuing the Certificates again it all seems a bit pointless, but who was to know? :o

Do not expect your Yellow Tabien Baan to be the Holy Graille, because there are still people in government offices that know SFA about them.

Instance.... Dept of Motor Registry at Pattaya refused to use mine which resulted in a 400km drive to Mukdahan to get a Cert of Residency.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine picked up his yellow thabian ban in Bangkok last week and says the staffer who gave him the booklet pointed out a number in the booklet and said he could use it to get a national ID card (bat prachachon) with it, a special one for foreigners.

I told him I'd never heard of such a thing, and am guessing he misunderstood what they said. Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

The book finally came through almost a month later when they'd run of reasons to stall, providing a happy ending to the long and torturous tale. Of course now they're issuing the Certificates again it all seems a bit pointless, but who was to know? :o

I shouldn't say how easy it was for me, but..... I got mine right after I got my original retiree visa just by having my wife and her tabien ban with us, our marriage certificate, and the Immigration letter/certificate of residency. Went to the Sansai Amphur, filled in a form or two, done. Though the real reason for the speed and ease may have been owning the house and married for a long time.

I don't use it much but I did use it to get the car dealer put my name on the car. Seems like I have used it a couple of other times. Could use it for getting utilities started? I keep a copy in the car with my insurance papers in case I might want it. It is easier than going back and forth for certificates if/when you need/want them.

Maybe you would have gotten yours more quickly if you had taken your cute new dog in with you?

Yes. Same-same my experience in Sansai.

This thread risks being a web of confusion. The yellow book is EASY IF you - the foreigner - have brought money into Thailand for the specific purpose of allowing your Thai spouse to buy house/land.....

I thought the Yellow Book was available to a foreigner by virtue of owning (or having a 30 year type lease on) a property, irrespective of marital status and simply showed one's permenant address in a simple way that is widely recognised by most branches of the government, police, local authorities etc. I don't believe it confers any special privilages beyond that but please correct me if I'm wrong since it might explain why I'm having such a tough time.

Are you saying that I in order to qualify I should be married or be lending money or be a co-owner in some way?

The answer to that question is no.

I've had a Ta Bein ban (yellow farang house registration book) issued recently. I was renting the property and not married (although divoirceed to a Thai) .. Process was simple. Copy passport and letter from immigration along with two gurantors - villiage chief and landlord. Recently moved, again renting, and had a new yellow book issued. this time i took 3 thai gutantors - a school teacher, a policeman and a retired government offical, all friends. Process was very simple. But most amphurs become confused as they don't normally issue the farang ta bien ban on a daily basis.

you don't have to be married and you don't have to own the property.

Yes. Same-same my experience in Sansai.

This thread risks being a web of confusion. The yellow book is EASY IF you - the foreigner - have brought money into Thailand for the specific purpose of allowing your Thai spouse to buy house/land.....

I thought the Yellow Book was available to a foreigner by virtue of owning (or having a 30 year type lease on) a property, irrespective of marital status and simply showed one's permenant address in a simple way that is widely recognised by most branches of the government, police, local authorities etc. I don't believe it confers any special privilages beyond that but please correct me if I'm wrong since it might explain why I'm having such a tough time.

Are you saying that I in order to qualify I should be married or be lending money or be a co-owner in some way?

The answer to that question is no.

I've had a Ta Bein ban (yellow farang house registration book) issued recently. I was renting the property and not married (although divoirceed to a Thai) .. Process was simple. Copy passport and letter from immigration along with two gurantors - villiage chief and landlord. Recently moved, again renting, and had a new yellow book issued. this time i took 3 thai gutantors - a school teacher, a policeman and a retired government offical, all friends. Process was very simple. But most amphurs become confused as they don't normally issue the farang ta bien ban on a daily basis.

You don't have to be married and you don't have to own the property.

That's new info to me - I thought you had to own the property since they made such a song and dance about the exact translation of my name on my chanote. Where did you get these?

I have never heard of any kind of foreigner's ID card (although having one could be a good idea) and as far as I know its usefulness begins and ends with vehicle registration and the like. I get the impression that it is one up from having a driving license in terms of how legit you appear to be as a long termer - must try to flash it at the park gates next time they try to infer I'm anything but a Thai!

• 1 month later...

Got my Yellow book this week with the minimum of fuss, did have to sit there for 3 hours waiting for the official to type the details onto a large form. Took marriage certificate, wife's blue book and ID Card, and my passport with my Non Immigrant O visa, had a problem with my wife's blue book so her mother came along later and I was entered as residing at my mother in laws address, although I do not live there. I was told I can get a blue book for my new condo after 1 year, the ID card thing for me was also mentioned but I did not catch all of the conversation, Oh and did not pay a single thing.

This was in Nonthaburi.

Can anyone tell me what entitlements this has, as the woman at Nonthaburi said I could qualify for a years Visa, as am on the 60 day "O" visa at the moment, maybe she was confused or the idea was lost in translation.

• 1 year later...

Has anybody managed to get a yellow book in the Pattaya Banglamung area ?

Things always seem to be that much harder round here due to there being so many more farang. :)

This is the Chiang Mai Forum. I thank you want the Pattaya Forum. It definitely will be hard asking on this forum.:lol:

Edited by gotlost
  • Like 1

excuse my ignorance but what does one need a yellow book and/ or a sertificate of residence for? I thought I read somewhere that to become a recognised resident you need to have had 3 concecutive 1 year visas and have an interview conducted in thai and be doing some "good" probably to some officials bank ballance. but once you've got it you can have your name on a land document? does that mean you can out right own land?

I suggest there's some unfortunate misunderstanding with the terminology.

- I have 'Permanent Residence' status of Thailand. The name on the cover of my PR book says 'Certificate of Residence'.

- For some purposes people needs a 'Certificate of Residence' meaning that they need a document which simply verifies their current address, but not meaning that they have PR status. In reality I guess this document should be called something like 'Proof of Current Address'.

In fact I've heard mention that in some government offices you don't need any evidence of where you are physically domiciled to get the letter called 'Certifciate of Residence', you simply write an address and with no check you get a letter called 'Certificate of Residence'.

Edited by scorecard

I have a particular interest in getting a "Yellow Book" because I'll be needing a Cert. of Residence for a number of purposes that will not fall within a month's time and I cannot be certain of their timing at all.

Already, I have paid 500baht each at Immigration just for 3 monthly certificates, plus the hassle, plus copy costs (a bargain there), plus I always make the aircon fail if it is hot - and the lines long, mid-week without holidays nearby.

So, being a bargain hunter with "kick me" written on his brow and a target on his back, this farang went to his helpful estate agent who immediately arranged a meeting with a lawyer for this coming Monday. I will be applying from A. Sansai, and the process will involve a landlord/owner who so far has demonstrated great helpfulness, sporadically. (Basically, we have the picture here of me, in Thailand.)

For further news and prices from a full-time, if involuntary, profligate, tune in Monday afternoon.

Edited by CMX

I have a particular interest in getting a "Yellow Book" because I'll be needing a Cert. of Residence for a number of purposes that will not fall within a month's time and I cannot be certain of their timing at all.

Already, I have paid 500baht each at Immigration just for 3 monthly certificates, plus the hassle, plus copy costs (a bargain there), plus I always make the aircon fail if it is hot - and the lines long, mid-week without holidays nearby.

So, being a bargain hunter with "kick me" written on his brow and a target on his back, this farang went to his helpful estate agent who immediately arranged a meeting with a lawyer for this coming Monday. I will be applying from A. Sansai, and the process will involve a landlord/owner who so far has demonstrated great helpfulness, sporadically. (Basically, we have the picture here of me, in Thailand.)

For further news and prices from a full-time, if involuntary, profligate, tune in Monday afternoon.

Sansi is one of the easier amphurs to get your yellow book. Friends of mine received theirs the same day. In Doi Saket it takes 6 weeks. Good luck.

I love it. A thread that's over two years old and we are knocking our fingers numb. Boy the forum is sure slow.:lol:

Oh God.... It's bringing it all back to me! No! No!

Actually my YTB is very useful I used it to register a car the other day and in tandem with a driving license it's a foolproof Thai price ticket to anywhere they operate dual pricing. I guess since I got it I must have saved several thousand baht so to those on the trail of theirs ....... persevere :)

Edited by Greenside