Hi-speed Usb Device

mrbojangles

Hi guys,

I am on my travels at weekend and wish to take with me, my Apple 4GB iPod.

I normally use my PC for synchronising etc. But wish to use my laptop. However, when i just plugged it into the USB port on my laptop, it comes up with the message

The USB Mass Storage Device is a Hi-Speed USB Device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-Hi-Speed Port.

Could someone please tell me wether it will still be ok to use. Or do i need to buy a Hi-Speed port or can i download something from the internet to sort it. Sorry if this sounds a simpleton post but with computers i am quite a simpleton :D

Many thanks to anyone who can help. :o

Hi guys,

I normally use my PC for synchronising etc. But wish to use my laptop. However, when i just plugged it into the USB port on my laptop, it comes up with the message

The USB Mass Storage Device is a Hi-Speed USB Device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-Hi-Speed Port.

Could someone please tell me wether it will still be ok to use. Or do i need to buy a Hi-Speed port or can i download something from the internet to sort it. Sorry if this sounds a simpleton post but with computers i am quite a simpleton :D

Adding a Hi-Speed Hub will do nothing. However, if you want to spend the Baht, you could buy a PCMCIA adapter that has USB 2.0. However, if you aren't synchronising gigabytes worth of music/videos/pictures to your Ipod, it probably isn't worth it. After all, USB 1.1 is 12 Mbits/sec and USB 2.0 is 480 Mbits/sec, but when you're transfering even a whole album that's 36 MB, it would only save you some 15-20 seconds--I can afford to lose that time to save money. Actually I think I just confirmed what some little street urchin vendor said about me "You cheap charley number one!" :D

Hi guys,

Adding a Hi-Speed Hub will do nothing. However, if you want to spend the Baht, you could buy a PCMCIA adapter that has USB 2.0. However, if you aren't synchronising gigabytes worth of music/videos/pictures to your Ipod, it probably isn't worth it. After all, USB 1.1 is 12 Mbits/sec and USB 2.0 is 480 Mbits/sec, but when you're transfering even a whole album that's 36 MB, it would only save you some 15-20 seconds--I can afford to lose that time to save money. Actually I think I just confirmed what some little street urchin vendor said about me "You cheap charley number one!" :D

If you run an Aircard or Express card thru a USB adaptor (to a laptop with USB only, no card slot) is any internet speed lost compared to a direct card to card slot connection ?

Hi guys,

If you run an Aircard or Express card thru a USB adaptor (to a laptop with USB only, no card slot) is any internet speed lost compared to a direct card to card slot connection ?

No, even running at USB 1.1 you'll have more than enough bandwidth for an Aircard. The fastest available (I realise that there's HDSPA trials in various places--but that's still a max of 3.6 Mbit/s) is only CAT's EV-DO which is a blistering fast 0,8 Mbit/s--well under the 12 Mbit/s offered by USB 1.1.