Sor Pork Kor In Baan Nok

How bad are sor por kor titles in baan nok for a Thai ??

My GF has just got an SOS call from her folks.. In 4 years I have given them nothing, she doesnt send money home and I have been lucky in not having a adopted family drain.. Now they have a legit SOS and I am going to white knight it, one way or other, simply because I can and it will make my GF happy..

However they are offering 10 rai of sor por kor regged land for 100k baht.. To be fair they are not being the usual 'give me' and it sounds like a fair offer.

I can either just give (they will call it a loan but lets be realistic) 40k or so to solve a big problem they have, or I can give 100k baht and my GF gets 10 rai of sor por kor...

For myself, here on phuket I wouldnt touch sor por kor with a bargepole.. But this isnt phuket its baan nok.. It isnt for me, it would be something my GF owns (which after this many years she doesnt have squat, so I am a bit behind on the upkeep) and it has the secondary issue that I show money gets something, theres no gravy train implication. They even say that the land will be rented back from her for them to use (I dont believe but its a nice idea)..

One side of me says pay the minimum you can to solve everyones problems but another says getting something for the money is better. My unknown is how bad sor por kor really is..

If its family owned, family worked, with a family shack on it.. Is she likely to lose it ??

They claim the land can be put in her name for a couple 1000 baht.. Is that really in her name (regged on a land title) or what is this ?? My info is sor por kor is more a 'right to use' not an ownership.

I have no issue at all about it being hers, I certainly want nothing to do with the area or the land, just dont know the risks of ownership for her and if I should just avoid the idea all together and just help out.

Since you are willing to just give your GF's family 40,000 baht, your real question is whether the Sor Por Kor titled land is worth paying 60,000 baht for. For an additional $2000 USD your GF can have 10 rai of this land. I don't know much about this type of titled land but my wife bought and sold land with a title of Sor Tor Gor (written in Thai as ศ. ฅ. ก.) without any problems. And since the seller is a family member I would expect it to be relatively safe. All I would do would be to check out exactly what type of land title it is. There are some land titles that can't be sold at all. If this land title is able to be sold, then I think 10,000 baht/rai is a very good price and puts you in good graces with your GF.

How bad are sor por kor titles in baan nok for a Thai ??

My GF has just got an SOS call from her folks.. In 4 years I have given them nothing, she doesnt send money home and I have been lucky in not having a adopted family drain.. Now they have a legit SOS and I am going to white knight it, one way or other, simply because I can and it will make my GF happy..

However they are offering 10 rai of sor por kor regged land for 100k baht.. To be fair they are not being the usual 'give me' and it sounds like a fair offer.

I can either just give (they will call it a loan but lets be realistic) 40k or so to solve a big problem they have, or I can give 100k baht and my GF gets 10 rai of sor por kor...

For myself, here on phuket I wouldnt touch sor por kor with a bargepole.. But this isnt phuket its baan nok.. It isnt for me, it would be something my GF owns (which after this many years she doesnt have squat, so I am a bit behind on the upkeep) and it has the secondary issue that I show money gets something, theres no gravy train implication. They even say that the land will be rented back from her for them to use (I dont believe but its a nice idea)..

One side of me says pay the minimum you can to solve everyones problems but another says getting something for the money is better. My unknown is how bad sor por kor really is..

If its family owned, family worked, with a family shack on it.. Is she likely to lose it ??

They claim the land can be put in her name for a couple 1000 baht.. Is that really in her name (regged on a land title) or what is this ?? My info is sor por kor is more a 'right to use' not an ownership.

I have no issue at all about it being hers, I certainly want nothing to do with the area or the land, just dont know the risks of ownership for her and if I should just avoid the idea all together and just help out.

It's a £1,600 birthday present which equates to £400 per year of your relationship or £7.69 per week (probably less if we average the exchange rate over that period !).

The fact that you have no interest in the land but can give huge face to your G/F and her family - just do it. IF THE MONEY IS COMING OUT OF THE "I DON'T NEED THIS" BANK ACCOUNT.

I agree that the transaction within the family is less likely to result in any problem.

You didn't mention where the 40k crisis came from - obviously wouldn't want to see a repetition of that.

The 40k crisis is genuine and the money will stop it happening again.. I have held a very hard line on family contribs with my current girl as the wife before had the family from hel_l, but I found her after a phone call sobbing alone, unable to drum the money up herself and too scared of my reactions to pressure me over it.. Well I am not going to have her sobbing in a mixed up head state like that when it can be solved for 40k !! I pay 1k GBP to my own mum each month for years, and buy myself toys and motorbikes etc, I would be a pretty heartless bastard not to solve this.

I will find out today what kind of sor por kor it is.. But I was under the idea sor por kor couldnt be sold, that it was a license to utilize but not to own, but I also know that up there much of the land is sor por kor and its constantly horse traded. They claim that it can have her name made onto the sor por kor in an official way (not just witnessed by the kamnaan etc) so I will check that out.

The money is not the main issue.. My main concern is does the extra 60k get her a legal title to land ?? And what if any risks does she have to lose that land ??

The 40k crisis is genuine and the money will stop it happening again.. I have held a very hard line on family contribs with my current girl as the wife before had the family from hel_l, but I found her after a phone call sobbing alone, unable to drum the money up herself and too scared of my reactions to pressure me over it.. Well I am not going to have her sobbing in a mixed up head state like that when it can be solved for 40k !! I pay 1k GBP to my own mum each month for years, and buy myself toys and motorbikes etc, I would be a pretty heartless bastard not to solve this.

I will find out today what kind of sor por kor it is.. But I was under the idea sor por kor couldnt be sold, that it was a license to utilize but not to own, but I also know that up there much of the land is sor por kor and its constantly horse traded. They claim that it can have her name made onto the sor por kor in an official way (not just witnessed by the kamnaan etc) so I will check that out.

The money is not the main issue.. My main concern is does the extra 60k get her a legal title to land ?? And what if any risks does she have to lose that land ??

I am not sure the legalities matter.

As a family transfer you are probably as safe as you can get and you are satisfied about the 40k crisis.

To sort out the legal side it may be worth asking Isaan Lawyers.

it sounds like you're a baller, so why are you worried about the risk?

what are you going to do with 10 rai of land? or what is your girlfriend going to do rather? you know, I thought that land was inheritable anyway, so why is her family going to sell it? just to save face with you and say they "sold" it to you instead of letting her inherit it anyway?

from what i understand, it is an agriculture title deed given to needy families. that's why you cannot sell it. you can only give it to heirs. so, unless she has siblings, she'll get the land anyway.

Its likley to be rice land. And as rice (as a scarce commodity) has more than doubled in price recently and is likley to double in price again soon, then rice land will start to increase in value . 100K for 10 Rai is the old price. I think you will find that the land will be worth at least twice that next year.

Dont worry about the title. Most land in Issan is Sor Bor Gor and its been bought and sold for ages with this type of title. Legally its goverment land but the goverment will never take it. And in actual fact its a policy for the PPP to give Sor Bor Gor land back to the people (Nor Sor Sam title) to enable them to qualify for borrowing cheap money as land owners instead of being ripped off by loan sharks.

Its a very good investment and a very good price and will benifit your TGF more than she realises. The only problem that I see is in a year or so down the line when the family realise that they have sold the land cheap, then they may get pissed off.