Internet So Slow

Been using Maxnet for last year with no problems. Suddenly over the last couple of days it's slowed down to a virtual stop. Impossible to access many international sites. Did speedtest and now slower than dial-up!! Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

This will help but you need some knoledge of xp to make it work and if you screw up don t blame me.

For some reasons by default upon installation of your Windows XP Win 2000 Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC, etc.

Well you can have the option to override the default setting "Break the Rules" , If u change it to 0 then the 20 % incrase in your bandwidth.

Click Start then Run and type "gpedit.msc" without quotes.This opens the group policy editor, then go to:

1.Local Computer Policy

2.Computer Configuration

3.Administrative Templates

4.Network

5.QOS Packet Scheduler

6.Limit Reservable Bandwidth.

7.Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth.

It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab i.e."By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO "0". This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20% (It works on Win 2000 as well

This will help but you need some knoledge of xp to make it work and if you screw up don t blame me.

For some reasons by default upon installation of your Windows XP Win 2000 Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes like Windows Updates and interrogating your PC, etc.

Well you can have the option to override the default setting "Break the Rules" , If u change it to 0 then the 20 % incrase in your bandwidth.

Click Start then Run and type "gpedit.msc" without quotes.This opens the group policy editor, then go to:

1.Local Computer Policy

2.Computer Configuration

4.Network

5.QOS Packet Scheduler

It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab i.e."By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO "0". This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20% (It works on Win 2000 as well

Thanks for this idea. I don't have problems with my adsl (CAT Telecom 2/800) always working fine. But May be my downloads (emule) or my streaming tv will have some improvement?

1.Local Computer Policy

2.Computer Configuration

4.Network

5.QOS Packet Scheduler

treid to do this but when I type in 'gpedit.msc' it says windows cannot find it.

I am having problems with maxnet internet at the moment. it works fine and then it goes off for 2 or 3 minutes then back on again.

Do you remember last year, when they had the big eartquake in China, it affected all the internet lines in Asia. Maybe that is a contributing factor.

1.Local Computer Policy

2.Computer Configuration

4.Network

5.QOS Packet Scheduler

interesting. i just did it, i'll see if it improves stream downloads and report back.

BTW, i'm using CDMA and its working fine over the last couple of weeks.

1.Local Computer Policy

2.Computer Configuration

4.Network

5.QOS Packet Scheduler

Thanks for the tip, not tried it yet as I am using Vista. Think it must be a maxnet problem as I tested the connection with my friend's Macbook and same slow speed.

everydaythesame.

admin

;[privlidges running Vista.

treid to do this but when I type in 'gpedit.msc' it says windows cannot find it.

Wireless signals aren't dependant on software; they are dependant on signal strength and signal loss between interferences. Things like baby monitors, microwaves, concrete/metal walls or normal obstructions such as buildings can lead to a signal loss. Also, extreme weather may also hammer single strength.

Software typically does not "enhance" your signal strength; it all has to do with what your wireless card supports. What I can however recommend to you is if your card has an external antenna connector, buy an antenna to boost your strength. If you also have some spare cash I suggest grabbing a signal amplifier as well