Reasonable Cheap Or Expensive Food?

Count me in...for the hamburger... roast beef sandwich..and an occasional breakfast....if I can wake up in time...

But... WHERE will you be... and WHAT HOURS?????

I'd also love an added offering of waffles and/or pancakes... so hard to find around BKK.... (yes...there are some places... but...)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

am looking for some input and would apprechiate some ralistic, real feedback

How would you judge the following prices - in a Bistro - comfortable seating - background music - beer and wine on sale

nothing fancy but comfy in Sukhumvit Thong Law area

Full english breakfast

2 Eggs scrambled + 2 Breakfast Sausages + Baked Beans + 2 slices of thick Toast + 3 rashers of the finest Bacon + a Glass of fresh Orange Juice and a Mug of Coffee or Tea THB 149.00

Not bad... but I'd rather add 100 for a full breakfast buffet at Ascott hotel or similar.

The light Breakfast

2 slices of thick Buttered Toast + Jam + a Cup of Coffee or Tea - THB 69.00

That's more expensive than Little Home Restaurant's 3 long strips of bacon, 2 small pancakes with whipped butter and syrup, and 2 eggs for 60 baht plus vat. And great pancakes! Homey atmosphere too.

German Bratwurst with Potato Salad and Sauerkraut THB 119.00

Sausage Platter for two - 4 different sausages with Sauerkraut Potato Salad - French Fries - Coleslaw - THB 259.00

Roast Beef Sandwich on a large crispy bun with Horse reddish Sauce THB 109.00

Hungarian Goulash with real Potato Gnochi THB 149.00

200G pure Beef Burger with cheese and french fries and coleslaw THB 149.00 (cheese is real Gouda)

Interesting one! Tell me when to try it.

would be very grateful for any realistic input,

John

Full english breakfast

2 Eggs scrambled + 2 Breakfast Sausages + Baked Beans + 2 slices of thick Toast + 3 rashers of the finest Bacon + a Glass of fresh Orange Juice and a Mug of Coffee or Tea THB 149.00

Not bad... but I'd rather add 100 for a full breakfast buffet at Ascott hotel or similar.

The light Breakfast

2 slices of thick Buttered Toast + Jam + a Cup of Coffee or Tea - THB 69.00

That's more expensive than Little Home Restaurant's 3 long strips of bacon, 2 small pancakes with whipped butter and syrup, and 2 eggs for 60 baht plus vat. And great pancakes! Homey atmosphere too.

200G pure Beef Burger with cheese and french fries and coleslaw THB 149.00 (cheese is real Gouda)

Interesting one! Tell me when to try it.

Thank you very much for your comments. There is a slight difference though:

Can't say much about the buffet only that the produce used are most likely from a "lucky" company (sausages and Bacon) whereby with our breakfast you'll get the same quality as you would get at a 5 star Hotel on Wiereless or at a 5 star Chain on Sukhumvit and by the River ... where the Breakfast would cost you a lot more - + we are still 100.00 cheaper than even the Ascot.. I don't think people will travel from all over Bangkok to have our breakfast, but people living in the Thong Law / Ekamai Area might like to enjoy a great Breakfast once a week or month.

The light Breakfast - no Farmhouse Toast here, but our own, made with real flour (imported) - real Butter and not whipped (a way to add volume to butter to save money) and the Jam is real Jam (Smackers) not the one from Chemical Allee - talking about butter, one thing I always hated is when you get a small rock hard piece of butter which you can never spread on your toast - I promisse this will not be the case at the Bistro

The Burger will be available from day one i.E. 02/06/2008

Hope to see you there,

John

Waffles & Pancakes ...... it is not a question of me making them in our kitchen, but a logistic question at the Bistro o how to prepare them. Give me a coupple of weeks after opening and I will see what can be done,

John

You mentioned your own bread above, made with imported flour...

Another thought... if you've got a griddle going, an easy preparation with good bread is FRENCH TOAST!!!! So, you might think about that along with pancake and or waffle...

If you're already cooking bacon and eggs, french toast is a snap!!!

You mentioned your own bread above, made with imported flour...

Another thought... if you've got a griddle going, an easy preparation with good bread is FRENCH TOAST!!!! So, you might think about that along with pancake and or waffle...

If you're already cooking bacon and eggs, french toast is a snap!!!

HI,

waffels .. pancakes ... french toast ... all those lovely healthy things I personally love too :o let me get the place up and running and sort out the logistics staff etc.. and we will ......... We have all the tools - deep waffle irons, crepe pans etc..

John

Hi,

the details about the Bistro and initial menu can be found here: my website - click into the site and than onto the Bistro Logo - the menu is in pdf format and can be downloaded,

just got the coffee machine - an all modern one where you puy in the fresh beans and water and push a button and espresso comes out in a great quality and the steam thingy actually has a lotof presure to make great foam - gonna use the best coffee I can lay my hands on,

John

I'm eager to try it out! Website menu looks great!

I wish you success!

My only concern is that from what I remember before, that area deep in that soi is kinda crummy... dunno if your market matches with your area.

In any case, I hope you do well!

Cheerioz! :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

I'm eager to try it out! Website menu looks great!

I wish you success!

My only concern is that from what I remember before, that area deep in that soi is kinda crummy... dunno if your market matches with your area.

In any case, I hope you do well!

Cheerioz! :o

Hi, thank you very much.

The area is now a typical Bangkok Soy, with some some shacks, some high rise condos and shophouses thrown in but an estimated 400 ++ westerners livng in the condos and not a western food place in walking distance makes it interesting. Like with any such venture, how it turns out has to be seen, but relatively low overheads should make it OK and its not my main business which still is the supply of the 5 star hotels,

John

p.s. I look upon this also as a stepping stone into a possible larger venture in the area but either on or just off one of the main roads

The area is now a typical Bangkok Soy, with some some shags........

John

Sounds like my kinda soi :D

Seriously though, the menu looks great and I'll defo be along soon. :o

Edited by thecatman

The area is now a typical Bangkok Soy, with some some shags........

John

Sounds like my kinda soi :D

Seriously though, the menu looks great and I'll defo be along soon. :D

geee that was quick ... must have been thinking about something else while typing .. :o

Having opened the "Bistro Eurogourmet" on Sunday and having had our first full day today, I happened to notice one novelty about the area which caused my eyes to burn and my neck to hurt by the evening ..... there seems to be the homebase for countless girls working in the upmarket clubs in Ekamai and Thong law area and since we have large windows looking onto the Soi .... :o

It has been a much busier first day than expected :D having kept a keen eye on plates after customers had finished eating ... all empty .. something that makes any chef happy, especially if you are serving sizable portions :D

John

a few kinks did of course turn up, like the electric system having too little amps and my deep fryer causing the fuses to jump but this should be resolved by tomorrow

After following this thread for a while I was pleased to learn that John decided to go ahead with this project and his Bistro restaurant is now open. So I felt that the least I could do was pay him a visit and check the place out.

Well, the restaurant it's self is unspectacular. It's more of a cafe actually, but it's clean and tidy enough to be able to enjoy what's on offer.

On my first visit I decided to opt for the Cheeseburger. This has to be the best burger in Bangkok. I've certainly never had a burger anywhere near to the quality of this. It is huge, 200 grams of pure beef. This burger is about an inch thick. I found it to be quite heavily seasoned, which suited me fine, served with coleslaw and fries, it's a very filling meal for 150bt.

On my 2nd visit I chose the pork and beef Lasagne, this was also a massive serving and is absolutely fantastic value at only 150 Bt. My partner had the Cumberland sausage and mash, I not too sure about the mash, but the large sausage was as good as any you'll find in LOS and my partner particularly enjoyed the onion gravy, again, a steel at 100Bt. Two empty plates at the end and no room to try the apple pie that I initially went for!!

I sat and chatted with John for a while, and his enthusiasm and passion to produce top quality foods like he does is obvious.

It's great to find a place serving this great quality homemade food, and although it's a bit of a trek for me to get to John's bistro, I will certainly be going again soon.

Also, other than offering great value food, a jug of draught beer chang can be had for only 100bt!!

All the best for the future John, this place is a little gem and I strongly recommend other T.V. food lovers to follow my lead down to the Bistro.

Edited by thecatman

Hi Catman,

thank you very much for your kind comments and I'm pleased you and your wife enjoyed our food. The Bistro is small, seats about 24 but no plastic chairs or tables .. the idea is a small comfy inexpensive Bistro with a bit of background music and a nice view :o

Wednesdays we are gonna have a "Curry Day" where I'm gonna make a different curry every week and on Saturdays we are having a "Special" which will also change every time like yesterday it was "Lamb Shank in red wine sauce with mashed potatoe"

lamb shank

Thanks again and hope to see you and your wife again soon,

John

Cool!

I should be heading over there soon, like when I'm in the area.

What is curry day? Is it some sorta curry buffet like the old Irish pubs used to do (but don't do anymore :o )?

What time do those upscale night workers walk by? I'd like to watch them from your window for educational purposes. :D

Is your lamb shank available even if it's not the special for the day? Oh, and how much is it? :D

Cool!

I should be heading over there soon, like when I'm in the area.

What is curry day? Is it some sorta curry buffet like the old Irish pubs used to do (but don't do anymore :D )?

What time do those upscale night workers walk by? I'd like to watch them from your window for educational purposes. :D

Is your lamb shank available even if it's not the special for the day? Oh, and how much is it? :D

Hi,

Curry day is every Wednesday for which I make a different kind of Curry every time - this Wednesday its "bombay chicken curry" - made it to day and just had some for my dinner

The "View" improves dramatically about 4pm but there is always something interesting to watch since their is a beauty salon right next door :o

The Lamb Shank has to be a special due to the cost of the raw material - I offer it for B 350.00 incl. a glas of house wine

Curry is B 150.00 and I guaranty that nobody will be hungry after eating it :D

John

post-30681-1213238244_thumb.jpg

For any Germans in the Forum but they should appeal to most:

This Saturday I'm making something I have not seen anywhere in BKK for a special

Deutsche Reibekuchen - German Potatoe Pancakes - with Apple Sauce (freshly made)

They are a bit like "Rosti" but courser and have Onions added and are very tasty - a crispy Potatoe treat - 3 for only B 90.00

John

mosey on by - click onto Bistro Logo for location

For any Germans in the Forum but they should appeal to most:

This Saturday I'm making something I have not seen anywhere in BKK for a special

Deutsche Reibekuchen - German Potatoe Pancakes - with Apple Sauce (freshly made)

They are a bit like "Rosti" but courser and have Onions added and are very tasty - a crispy Potatoe treat - 3 for only B 90.00

John

mosey on by - click onto Bistro Logo for location

does the price include the caviar John? :o

I have just introduced a "Happy Hour" at the Bistro Eurogourmet with some great offers between 4pm until 8pm

If you would like to see the special Happy Hour menu click here HAPPY HOUR MENU

Cool!

By the way, you might get more customers if you post your daily specials in advance? For example, I'd like to know when you have that lamb shank again so I could try to go that day if I'm free... :o

Cool!

By the way, you might get more customers if you post your daily specials in advance? For example, I'd like to know when you have that lamb shank again so I could try to go that day if I'm free... :D

Hi,

Lamb shanks will be on the special menu next month. This Friday and Saturday we have a "Schaschlik" as special which is a Eastern Med. dish of scewers with Pork, Bacon, Onion and Pineapple in a red wine and paprica sauce which we serve with either rice or french fries. Its cheap at under 100.00 but good!

post-30681-1213872865_thumb.jpg

Made it today and yes I know, the Pineapple is not traditional, but I find it goes extremely well with the Pork :o

mmmmhhhhh !!!!!!!

spare one for me, will be in Bkk soon

did you use paprika as usual (bell peppers)

I insist on that LOL :o

Hi,

the first lot I made is all gone, making a new lot this week though since Schaschlik has proven very popular even with the Brits.

Made Hummus today for a Hotel customer and made some more than was ordered ... am thinking of a dish from Cyprus for this Saturday's special - Charcoal Grilled Chicken on scewers with a Hummus sauce and Garlic Bread

John