Supernet - Any Experience Of Use

dalmatian

Currently on sad old dial up with CSLOXinfo in Pattaya. As you can imagine the speed is desperate so looking into getting broadband.

Have been warned off TOT ADSL, girl at Pattaya TOT office told me they are having problems - bandwidth reached max so people complaining. She thought I was there to complain but just wanted to know the deal, I soon walked out after hearing that.

A few guys have talked about TT & T, say it's reliable. Any info or thoughts please.

Another guy mentioned a portable "Hutch" for 1000 a month, not sure if I got that right, just needs to be put in a spare USB port?.

In our estate in East Pattaya the 'Supernet' guys were cabling all the streets. They are offering Cable LAN Modem for 5000 baht, Installation cable (25m) into the house for 2000 and 512 Kbps at 790 baht, 1 Mbps at 1000 baht and 2 Mbps at 2000. Has anybody got knowledge of this company, not much on their website.

I have the old table top computer presently although may buy a laptop to take advantage of hotspots etc.

Would appreciate info and experience as have not had broadband before so pretty much a virgin.

Guest Reimar

I've one customer in Pattaya using the SuperNet 1 Mbps.

SuperNet is running on Cable and you need to buy an Cable Modem from that Company which cost THB ~7,000.00.

As my customer want to use an Web accessible Web-Camera system, I was check with SuperNet because of the Settings for Modem/Router and Port forwarding. Unfortunate you can't apply a fixed IP for your PC, which is need to access the cameras via Internet. According to the Service from SuperNet, you need to leave the TCP/IP settings to automatic for the PC but have to keyin an DNS Address.

May the Mod' Monty can tell you more about it because he's using SuperNet as I know.

Cheers.

i have 2mb from tot for 1000 baht a month and live 2 mins from office,other than odd times my broadband works very well most of the time.i can get 200kbps mostly but does drop down to as low as 20kbps.staff there are piss poor though.

I have supernet 2 mbit.

Speeds are usable for surfing, if you come from dial up you'll find it blistering fast :o

I think you're better of with the 1 mbps package, unless you want to download a lot.

Regular surfing and downloads see between 500 and 1000 kbps, but when I use a download manager (which opens several connections simultaneously) I get close to the advertised 2 mbps.

As Reimar said above, any application which needs incoming connections (webcam, p2p etc) won't work properly or will not work at all.

Supernet is not a full blown ISP, which means they do not hand out public IP address to your PC. You only get a private IP address, with the only public address visible on the internet will be the address from Supernet's router! To which you do not have access, so port forwarding cannot be done.

All in all, for regular web use it's a good choice, but if you need it for anything else, it gets useless due to not having a public ip address!

Thanks guys for the heads up on your experience.

Being a little bit dim, where internet speak is concerned, I need to understand a little bit more about this lack of ability of port forwarding/incoming connections usage.

Is the port forwarding related to the ability to have laptop functionality/conection in a hotspot, is it that the IP address is at the providers router so that's why I could not use Supernet via a hotspot because a laptop would not carry a dedicated IP address...... If I sound like I know what I'm talking about then, trust me, I don't but I am learning snippets of internet speak as we go! WOULD APPRECIATE A LAYMANS ANSWER TO WHAT I TRIED TO SAY ABOVE.

For present I have a landlocked desktop PC, usage is basically to read email (hotmail), surf the web and book/pay online for hotels, airlines etc. Probably would want to download some songs/films etc as well. If it still allows all those functions then probably ok for me. Webcams etc are not really my bag, are there any other incoming connectivity issues that I would have restricted usage.?

I seem to get the impression would be ok for me with my fixed PC but not for laptop hotspot usage?

Thanks guys for the heads up on your experience.

Being a little bit dim, where internet speak is concerned, I need to understand a little bit more about this lack of ability of port forwarding/incoming connections usage.

Is the port forwarding related to the ability to have laptop functionality/conection in a hotspot, is it that the IP address is at the providers router so that's why I could not use Supernet via a hotspot because a laptop would not carry a dedicated IP address...... If I sound like I know what I'm talking about then, trust me, I don't but I am learning snippets of internet speak as we go! WOULD APPRECIATE A LAYMANS ANSWER TO WHAT I TRIED TO SAY ABOVE.

For present I have a landlocked desktop PC, usage is basically to read email (hotmail), surf the web and book/pay online for hotels, airlines etc. Probably would want to download some songs/films etc as well. If it still allows all those functions then probably ok for me. Webcams etc are not really my bag, are there any other incoming connectivity issues that I would have restricted usage.?

I seem to get the impression would be ok for me with my fixed PC but not for laptop hotspot usage?

Hey! I've found somebody who maybe knows less than me! :o

I dont know about supernet except that it sounds rather expensive. It may be more reliable but somehow I doubt it.

If you have dial up, your best, cheapest and fastest, set-up is to sign up with the provider of that phone line.

TOT and TT&T are about the same really except with TT&T now you need the premier package for international downloading. (I'm sure TOT will follow soon).

You can start low and upgrade anytime including to a package with fixed Ip address if you ever need it - doesnt sound like anytime soon.

Buy your own wireless router so you can use your (wireless enabled) laptop around the house and control who can connect

You dont need an ISP (or fixed Ip address) to use wifi hot spots just pay the provider (or not) as required.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
Currently on sad old dial up with CSLOXinfo in Pattaya. As you can imagine the speed is desperate so looking into getting broadband.

Have been warned off TOT ADSL, girl at Pattaya TOT office told me they are having problems - bandwidth reached max so people complaining. She thought I was there to complain but just wanted to know the deal, I soon walked out after hearing that.

A few guys have talked about TT & T, say it's reliable. Any info or thoughts please.

Another guy mentioned a portable "Hutch" for 1000 a month, not sure if I got that right, just needs to be put in a spare USB port?.

In our estate in East Pattaya the 'Supernet' guys were cabling all the streets. They are offering Cable LAN Modem for 5000 baht, Installation cable (25m) into the house for 2000 and 512 Kbps at 790 baht, 1 Mbps at 1000 baht and 2 Mbps at 2000. Has anybody got knowledge of this company, not much on their website.

I have the old table top computer presently although may buy a laptop to take advantage of hotspots etc.

Would appreciate info and experience as have not had broadband before so pretty much a virgin.

Hi, I am having a 1Mbps subscription with SuperNet since 3 months, initially it seemed not having any speed problems, however, since 6 weeks the download speed during the daytime and evening hours usually ranges, if not suspended at all, from 27kbps to 100kbps. The 1Mbps download speed is usually available during the late night and early morning hours.

I am extremely dissatisfied with SuperNet and am going to change immediately when a reasonable alternative is available.

I heard about BTV (Banglamung Cable Net) which is establishing a new IP service via cable modem, but unfortunately still has not been extended to my area. Who has experience or knowledge about their service and performance? Could the SuperNet's cable modem (model CORINEX AV200 CableLAN Adapter) be used with BTV ?

Guest Reimar
Hi, I am having a 1Mbps subscription with SuperNet since 3 months, initially it seemed not having any speed problems, however, since 6 weeks the download speed during the daytime and evening hours usually ranges, if not suspended at all, from 27kbps to 100kbps. The 1Mbps download speed is usually available during the late night and early morning hours.

I am extremely dissatisfied with SuperNet and am going to change immediately when a reasonable alternative is available.

I heard about BTV (Banglamung Cable Net) which is establishing a new IP service via cable modem, but unfortunately still has not been extended to my area. Who has experience or knowledge about their service and performance? Could the SuperNet's cable modem (model CORINEX AV200 CableLAN Adapter) be used with BTV ?

That should be possible if you're able to access the Firmware for to change the settings.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
I have supernet 2 mbit.

Speeds are usable for surfing, if you come from dial up you'll find it blistering fast :o

I think you're better of with the 1 mbps package, unless you want to download a lot.

Regular surfing and downloads see between 500 and 1000 kbps, but when I use a download manager (which opens several connections simultaneously) I get close to the advertised 2 mbps.

As Reimar said above, any application which needs incoming connections (webcam, p2p etc) won't work properly or will not work at all.

Supernet is not a full blown ISP, which means they do not hand out public IP address to your PC. You only get a private IP address, with the only public address visible on the internet will be the address from Supernet's router! To which you do not have access, so port forwarding cannot be done.

All in all, for regular web use it's a good choice, but if you need it for anything else, it gets useless due to not having a public ip address!

Monty,

Is Supernet and Banglamung Cable Net the same or are they two different companies?  I live off of Soi Khaw Noi on the east side of Sukcumvit and am presently using TOT Gold Cyber, but have been very disappointed with it's international service and lack of video viewing such as YouTube.  I am presently using Banglamung Cable TV so would their cable net be the best route for me to go?  Do you prefer the cable modem service over traditional ADSL services in Pattaya?  Do you get good international download/upload speeds?  Can you view videos such as YouTube and downstream videos from sources such as CNN or Fox News?  Can I still use my D-Link 2740B wireless modem/router in conjunction with the cable modem for use with my notebook computer?  Where can I find Supernet or who carries it in Pattaya?

Pattayadavid

• 7 months later...

Is there any news from Supernet, has the service improved or worsened? do you still need to buy the cable modem from them, or can you just rent it? If you have to buy it, wont it be cheaper to go to tukcom and buy a cheapy one there?

it seems to be the only viable option in my village, as the adsl internet lines and phone lines are "full"

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any news from Supernet, has the service improved or worsened? do you still need to buy the cable modem from them, or can you just rent it? If you have to buy it, wont it be cheaper to go to tukcom and buy a cheapy one there?

it seems to be the only viable option in my village, as the adsl internet lines and phone lines are "full"

I would be interested to hear anyone recent experiences with Supernet?

• 9 months later...

I would be interested to hear anyone recent experiences with Supernet?

The powers to be in our mooban have just changed from Maxnet (they simply couldn't provide a service eventually - at all) to Supernet, the 2mb package. It's useless. Speeds so slow it's sometimes worse than dial up. The only consolation is it doesn't drop out as much as the Maxnet connection did. I'd hate to be relying on an internet connection in Thailand for business...