Beach Front Home

lambada

Have been pondering this for a year or so. Assuming that I had a Thai wife or had undertaken all the legal steps to secure a 49% share or whatever in a home/condiminium, what would be your choice as far as the perfect place for a limited budget. All I want is to wake up in the morning and wonder out on to the beach etc. I envisage earning my money in HK or Oz. Maybe something small time in Thailand like English teaching for pocket money. Part of me thinks it would be smarter just to rent. Any thoughts? My son's a builder so that side of it could be sorted out if nec.

Have been pondering this for a year or so. Assuming that I had a Thai wife or had undertaken all the legal steps to secure a 49% share or whatever in a home/condiminium, what would be your choice as far as the perfect place for a limited budget. All I want is to wake up in the morning and wonder out on to the beach etc. I envisage earning my money in HK or Oz. Maybe something small time in Thailand like English teaching for pocket money. Part of me thinks it would be smarter just to rent. Any thoughts? My son's a builder so that side of it could be sorted out if nec.

You can own 100 per cent of a condominium. Go that easy route.

Try Surathani...big coastline lots to choose from,

maybe reasonably priced. Or go across to Koh Samui

and be prepared to pay 300% more! :o

you cant buy beachfront on samui for that ,but some pretty hefty developer margins on golden buddha.

Seen some nice lots with seaviews on samui for around 1m and can build a nice house for another 2m

Surat thani is the way to go,depends on the lifestyle you want to lead?

Beach properties (I believe up to 50 m land inwards) usually are "public owned". Still there are some (major investors) who managed to get a title (Chanott, see: understanding land titles). Nevertheless - one should be alerted in regards of the latest land scandals (f.e. Phuket: Phuket Gazette) were titles have been sold without any goverment approvement or by falsifying land documents.

Anyway - after one low season here you won't recognize your beachfront house anymore :o

Right: beach land is public, but you can certainly buy "beachfront" properties -- i.e., your property line ends right at the public domain beach space. Another thing you have to worry about when buying property like this is that you don't block public access to the beach.

Check out Chumphon.

It has a very long coastline with many nice beaches.

Landprices start from 500.000 baht 1 rai beachfront land.

Unfortunately, beachfront means most of the times mainroad at the back. Often there is just a small strip between a government road and the beach. There is not much good beachfront land available for affordable prices.

Look at some of the post in the Thai Visa section, and see the changes/tightening up of visa law, before you bring too much money over here.

A well managed property overseas will give good capital growth and rental income to support a life style here.

If one location here goes bad, up sticks and move.

Not so easy if you own the condo.

A property bought pre 1997 at 25 baht/$1 does not look so good at todays rates.

However if you marry and plan to leave money to family here, a small investment can be worthwhile. US$75,000 buys quite a decent house or condo. You can even look at it as a write off over 10-20 years.

I bought a condo in Bangkok in 1996, in US dollars. Grrr! The place has only just now regained its original value in US dollars terms (in baht terms, it is worth around 45% more than what I paid for it).

Of course, I've lived in it rent-free for the past 8 years, and never really considered it an investment to begin with.

Thanks guys. Some really thoughtful and interesting ideas. I'll just keep on churning it all over. I must admit I don't really consider money spent in Thailand as an investment more lifestyle.... Axe? What did you mean by low season? I take it you are referring to typhoons etc or maybe I missed something. I saw a nice restaurant bar in the philippines washed away one year!

Anyone know if there are any condos, townhouses, or shophouses close to the beach in the Chumphon area?

I'd like to find something that could be left unattended for extensive periods while I'm in Chiang Mai or travelling abroad.

Thks.

sunbed.jpg

Squatters rights ?    :o

Yeah, I guess so. But I make a point of parking my two deck chairs near the end of his row - I'll keep my 100 baht, thanks. But the stupid thing is, there are NO customers for him. Still he waits, day after day, come rain or shine. Sod him.

I'll keep my 100 baht, thanks. But the stupid thing is, there are NO customers for him. Still he waits, day after day, come rain or shine. Sod him.

Sod you, E Qwai! You cheap basta*d! Its OUR beach NOT yours. You are just a guest here. If you don't like it go back to YOUR miserable country and sit on YOUR rainy gray cold beach. You and your two beach chairs should be very happy there. E Hia!

Sick of you bitchy old farangs. If you cant adjust to OUR way of life go home!

Sod you, E Qwai!  You cheap basta*d!  Its OUR beach NOT yours.  You are just a guest here.  If you don't like it go back to YOUR miserable country and sit on YOUR rainy gray cold beach.  You and your two beach chairs should be very happy there. E Hia!

Sick of you bitchy old farangs.  If you cant adjust to OUR way of life go home!

:o:D:D:D Troll!

I'll keep my 100 baht, thanks. But the stupid thing is, there are NO customers for him. Still he waits, day after day, come rain or shine. Sod him.

Sod you, E Qwai! You cheap basta*d! Its OUR beach NOT yours. You are just a guest here. If you don't like it go back to YOUR miserable country and sit on YOUR rainy gray cold beach. You and your two beach chairs should be very happy there. E Hia!

Sick of you bitchy old farangs. If you cant adjust to OUR way of life go home!

Here's a public relations person and a first class troll.