Compaq Notebook Modem Not Working In Uk

samran

Hi All,

Have my Compaq 1503AP note book with me here in the UK (purchased in BKK). The problem is I can't seem to get the modem to work - or it can't detect the dial tone.

I have changed all the regional settings so it reflects that I am in the UK, but the modem doesn't detect a dial tone on my phone line.

The modem seems to work and I have done a diagnostic and it dials if I set it to dial without dial tone.

I haven't had to problem before when taking my computer OS. I have used it successfully in Oz and the middle east without a problem. My wifes laptop is suffering from the same problem. We both run on XP.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

The modem seems to work and I have done a diagnostic and it dials if I set it to dial without dial tone.

Check your Telephone cable and adapters! Could well be that the Modem is not physically connected to the Tel Line.

Unfortunately there are at least 3 different pin assignments known to connect the 2 "hot" wires of the phone line with 4 Pins.

As you probably have a different Phone Cable now for England (or an Adapter) this might well be the root of evil.

What does happen when you tell your Modem to blind dial?

Do you hear anything in the speaker? Especially: Do you hear anything like a Dial tone (before it starts to dial)?

If no, then: Check your Cables and connections!

Sunny