Bad Hair Days & Possible Solutions

RouxTheDay

Okay. Sorry this topic is so shallow, but I'm can't be the only one who has found this to be one of life's major issues... Background:

I have fine, wavy hair. Not quite curly. But almost. Not curly enough (or straight enough) to let it dry naturally (unless I want to look like an ungroomed spaniel). When I'm stateside, I blow dry it straight. The climate here in So Calif is seldom very humid, so this works fine for the most part. However, when I'm in a tropical, rainy, or foggy climate, or when I'm doing something sweaty, my style is gone in a flash. And, into a ponytail it goes. Whenever I'm in London, SE Asia, Paris, the southern US, my only option is to pull it back. It doesn't matter whether it's tropical humidity or cold fog, my hair simply will not stay styled in a moist climate.

I'd like to avoid the perpetual ponytail plastered to my scalp by half a can of hairspray. Especially when I attend formal business events. (The look just doesn't work with my gowns :o ). Plus, it's just too d*mned hot to use a blow dryer in climates like BKK.

So I've been toying with the idea of having it chemically straightened. My questions:

Have any of you done it?

If so... which method?

Benefits of straightening?

Drawbacks of no wave whatsoever?

Can this service be readily obtained in BKK?

Other ideas, suggestions, advice, tried-and-true solutions, etc.???

Most hairdressers do chemical straightening. I had rebonding done last February and it is still there despite my frequent hair dye. Easy to maintain as long as you give it lots of treatments with very nourishing conditioners and hair masks to avoid a broom effect...be prepared to lose lots of hair, anyway.

Edited by Ave

Have you tried the John Frieda frizz ease products? they work quite well. He even has an anti-frizz shampoo and conditioner out now.

But, then you must put product into your hair every day.

I have the same type of hair, curly without being curly enough to leave it in a curly do but I have found that GHD straightners work wonders & the last 3 years in LOS I have managed to have a straight style when I want (including fringe) in any kind of weather. The GHD are just so good as blow drying alone will not give you the hold of a straight style that GHD's wills. I thought about rebonding but as I only wanted to have straight hair for certain times it would have been too extreme for me.

I may be wrong...but doesn't chemical hair straightening supposedly cause cancer.....? Maybe I am thinking about something else...

I feel your pain, I really do. I also have that "in between hair," in other words, it's not straight, and it's not curly. After awhile...I just gave up on trying to do anything for my hair....I just use anti-frizz shampoo. I do wonder how many Thai women manage to keep there hair so...perfect. Maybe you can ask a Thai woman...I am sure they would have some ideas for you. :o

My hair is fairly straight but I always stop by a beauty salon to have it blow dried and straightened before a night out or an important meeting. In Patong that only costs me 80-100 baht. I always make sure the salon has a/c or at least a fan otherwise the whole exercise is pointless. My hair usually lasts the evening (And I always carry an umbrella)

Cheers

My hair is fairly straight but I always stop by a beauty salon to have it blow dried and straightened before a night out or an important meeting. In Patong that only costs me 80-100 baht. I always make sure the salon has a/c or at least a fan otherwise the whole exercise is pointless. My hair usually lasts the evening (And I always carry an umbrella)

Same here. If I know I'm going for a night out, I usually get my hair done. It lasts days and it's a bargain at about 100 baht. Otherwise, I just put it up or leave it wavy. For the most part, I've given up on my hair.

Okay. Sorry this topic is so shallow, but I'm can't be the only one who has found this to be one of life's major issues... Background:

I have fine, wavy hair. Not quite curly. But almost. Not curly enough (or straight enough) to let it dry naturally (unless I want to look like an ungroomed spaniel). When I'm stateside, I blow dry it straight. The climate here in So Calif is seldom very humid, so this works fine for the most part. However, when I'm in a tropical, rainy, or foggy climate, or when I'm doing something sweaty, my style is gone in a flash. And, into a ponytail it goes. Whenever I'm in London, SE Asia, Paris, the southern US, my only option is to pull it back. It doesn't matter whether it's tropical humidity or cold fog, my hair simply will not stay styled in a moist climate.

I'd like to avoid the perpetual ponytail plastered to my scalp by half a can of hairspray. Especially when I attend formal business events. (The look just doesn't work with my gowns :D ). Plus, it's just too d*mned hot to use a blow dryer in climates like BKK.

So I've been toying with the idea of having it chemically straightened. My questions:

Have any of you done it?

If so... which method?

Most hairdressers do chemical straightening. I had rebonding done last February and it is still there despite my frequent hair dye. Easy to maintain as long as you give it lots of treatments with very nourishing conditioners and hair masks to avoid a broom effect...be prepared to lose lots of hair, anyway.

Rebonding or permanant hair straightening really takes away the hassle of spending hour/s every morning to get my hair in good shape which many hated it most and yet is a must to do. That's why I love my hair rebonded and in Thailand is so affordable to get it done without burning holes in your pocket. :o But the best advice what's best for your hair is still from the professional stylist. You might want to check out this salon http://cls.googleboss.com which I love and patronize regularly.

I'd like to avoid the perpetual ponytail plastered to my scalp by half a can of hairspray. Especially when I attend formal business events. (The look just doesn't work with my gowns :D ). Plus, it's just too d*mned hot to use a blow dryer in climates like BKK.

Have any of you done it?

If so... which method?

Rebonding or permanant hair straightening really takes away the hassle of spending hour/s every morning to get my hair in good shape which many hated it most and yet is a must to do. That's why I love my hair rebonded and in Thailand is so affordable to get it done without burning holes in your pocket. :o But the best advice what's best for your hair is still from the professional stylist. You might want to check out this salon http://cls.googleboss.com which I love and patronize regularly.

Hi Belle & Ave, & everyone! :D

Txs for your post. Am gonna check out Chetta's as everyone seems to be raving about it! :D Can I just ask....if you have your hair rebonded, after 6/9 months, what happens do the roots go wavy again and the bottom half is poker straight?

Also, excuse my ignorance but HOW do they actually straighten it? Do they put chemicals on it? Does it actually damage your hair or not?

Do you have a rough guide to the price at Chetta's?

Txs in advance! :D

Have any of you done it?

If so... which method?

Txs for your post. Am gonna check out Chetta's as everyone seems to be raving about it! :D Can I just ask....if you have your hair rebonded, after 6/9 months, what happens do the roots go wavy again and the bottom half is poker straight?

Also, excuse my ignorance but HOW do they actually straighten it? Do they put chemicals on it? Does it actually damage your hair or not?

oh 'Andiamo' :D , just do you more homework before you go there or just let her try it first on a small section of her .

I am searching for another old thread about the same subject where I had stated my experiance in different salons here in Bangkok but I can't find it. There I stated my "own" personal experience in Chetta's Salon.

There is no guarantee that what works and looks great for others would be the same for you,

It is always "Hit and miss" when it comes to hair dressers.

same hair type here.

what i did? best thing in my life.

shaved it down.

not skin bald, but next closest setting.

no gels, no straighteners, no combs, no blowdryers needed.

when i travel, i pack less.

getting off a motor bike, my 'hair' is not messed up.

if youve got the head shape for it, try it.

same hair type here.

what i did? best thing in my life.

shaved it down.

not skin bald, but next closest setting.

no gels, no straighteners, no combs, no blowdryers needed.

when i travel, i pack less.

getting off a motor bike, my 'hair' is not messed up.

if youve got the head shape for it, try it.

I went for it years ago and it felt and looked great. I felt a lot more assertive and people treated me differently. The down sides: It was very expensive to keep it short in Europe and very awkward to grow it back as my hair is wavy and (was!) thick. Now, here in Thailand, if I did the same I'd lose my job for sure..!

I have exactly the same problem only more so. I don't have "bad hair days" I have "bad hair months" AKA the rainy season.

I find what works best is to let a local salon (el-cheapo typical Thai place) blow dry the hel_l out of it after I first wash, conditioner it and slap on some frizz-ease. Maybe it's the degree of heat, but they can get my hair flat and straight in a way I just can't. For one thing my arms get too tired..my hair holds a lot opf moisture and takes forever to blow dry.

I actually don't want it utterly straight but once they've gotten it that way it's easy enought to put in some pin curls on the ends overnight.

Even this won't stand up to a rainy day but it manages OK short of rain.

Off topic posts have been deleted. Trolling in the ladies forum is frowned upon and further such attempts to post off topic nonsense in here will result in suspension.

oh 'Andiamo' :D , just do you more homework before you go there or just let her try it first on a small section of her .

I am searching for another old thread about the same subject where I had stated my experiance in different salons here in Bangkok but I can't find it. There I stated my "own" personal experience in Chetta's Salon.

There is no guarantee that what works and looks great for others would be the same for you,

It is always "Hit and miss" when it comes to hair dressers.

Hi zaza et al, B)

Txs for your post - did me good to actually really think if I wanted to get hair straightened or if I was just jumping on the band wagon as so many girls here have straight hair and sometimes I get tired of being a bit frizzy!!!! :D

I actually came to the conclusion that I like my wavy/curly hair too much! :D Plus if I do fancy it straightened I can always go to the hairdresser for a one off. So, anyway..... yesterday I went to Chetta's and had a hair cut (250bt!) and a hair treatment (300bt!). WOW - amazing prices and she did a really good job. The location is quite far from the centre (off Sukhumvit 103 - located on Udom Suk 47) and I wouldn't go again on a Saturday cos the traffic was BAD! But very easy to find.

Just to feedback though, I was very happy with my haircut and style + she blow dried it curly - which is ALWAYS a bonus! :D Will definitely go back there again, although not on a Saturday due to the traffic!

Txs for the recommendation Belle and y'all! Have a good nite gals & Happy Hairdressing :o

Edited by Andiamo