Starting A Magazine / Publication ..... ?

Can someone throw some light on how can a mag'zine related publication be started ?

My basic content outline is somewhat prepared for at least 6 months ... so i know what to deliver in the coming months...

uve even identified a distribution agencies.. .

i know xpats cant start newspapers.... but im quite sure we can start a magazine...

But i dont know where to start with registration of the name, issn etc..

cheers!

The magazine market in Thailand has become a "battlefield". Many renowned magazines have to close down. Thai versions of the leading women and lifestyle magazines have to cope with heavy losses. Some publisher try something different and launches new magazines. Most of them disappear after only a short while. Some switch from paid to free magazine. Some try the opposite. Also keep in mind: If your title is not international, for the first one to 3 years not one agency will place an add with you.

Even one of the biggest magazine distributor seems to be in deep trouble and don't pay the publishers for the sold magazines since months.

Sounds harsh, but unfortunately that's reality. To survive on only one title is impossible, the costs are simply too high. Think twice before launching a new magazine.!

WCA

I can second everything said by WCA01. I've been working here in the magazine publishing industry and it's very, very tough. You still do need a license from the Police and ISBNs/barcodes from the National Library. If you'e hoping for advertising from agencies you can forget it for at least the first year, as WCA01 says. Many have a written policy that states they will not advertise with any new magazines for the first year. If you hope to distribute through bookshops and news agents then you can kiss goodbye to anything up to 50 per cent of the cover price in commission.

It's challenging but not impossible. Send me a PM if you want to talk more.

Edited by andy1308

A lot depends on your connections, sales ability for ads/sponsors, etc.

I know several publishers here who do ok, they make their money selling advertising one to one, restaurant/hospital/bar/rental agency etc.

PM me as well.

Dan

Can someone throw some light on how can a mag'zine related publication be started ?

My basic content outline is somewhat prepared for at least 6 months ... so i know what to deliver in the coming months...

uve even identified a distribution agencies.. .

i know xpats cant start newspapers.... but im quite sure we can start a magazine...

But i dont know where to start with registration of the name, issn etc..

cheers!

Getting any kind of revenue is the hard bit. We get barter offers every week. The best was one property developer who wanted to barter a newly built condo for one years worth of advertising in our magazine.

Your brand needs to extend beyond the printed page these days to really work well. Not just online but events, loyalty schemes, ... anything that generates revenue.

Thank you all for you valuable comments.

There are so many things to consider, but knowing the cons are helping more than knowing the pros !

Distribution through agencies seems to be the way to go if you dont want to run around doing ur sales... but from a sellers point , is there anything to protect my interests... ? or do i hav to go by the way of the agency .. or negotiate.. or be on contractual terms (as andy points out abt written contracts as well... )

which agencies are at least the most reputable as of today ?

Cheers

Gautam

There are many agencies here in Thailand and whom you choose will depend on where you want to sell your magazines (geographically) and where you want them to be sold (in terms of what sorts of shops, stores, etc). There is no one single distribution agency that will distribute to all the places you might want to be sold, and the whole industry is very political. If you work with one then you might not be able to get your magazine into a whole chain of shops. Some will also not deal with English titles so perhaps you can elaborate a bit more on the basic details of your proposed title?

There are many things to bear in mind using a distributor. First it can take up to a week for your magazine to appear in the shops after you have delivered to them. Secondly it might take up to three or four months to get any kind of sem-accurate sales figures, and even longer to get payment in many cases. You should also remember that without some kind of stories promotion or point-of-sale (which also costs) you'll do well to get a sales rate of 40% or higher. And you lose anything up to 50% of the cover price to the distributor for their services !

I have started both a magazine and a weekly paper and the first thing I learned was that money went out much quicker than it came in. Which is why I am not in that line of work any more.

The printer and distributor get paid first: without them you have nothing. They get paid regardless of whether or not you get paid for your ads.

Ads are often seen as intangibles so advertisers take their time paying... 30 days 60 days 90 days 120 days etc

So what rich uncle keeps the boat afloat in the meantime?

If you stop publication you will NEVER see any revenue owing.