Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Yoga And Good Eats In Kanchanaburi?

popsicle

just moved to the ladya area in kanchanaburi.

is there a good place that i can take some yoga classes? doesn't have to be in ladya, but within Kan would be great.

also are there any public swimming pools? it's so very hot!

good eats: any restaurant that's worth checking out that serves good western food? like GOOD western food, not stuff that's just passable because we're way out in the boonies.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Ladya, where I am also a resident. There is yoga available in Kanchaniburi but I am not sure of the address. Once i find out I will pm you. As far as i know the public swimming pool is called the River Kwai!! But it is lovely to swim in as long as you keep out of the currents.

To date I have not found anywhere selling good western food although the porkburgers at the No name bar on the strip are as good as I have tasted anywhere. Well worth the 60baht.

Welcome to the boonies!!!!

Hello popsicle,

Welcome to the Kanchanaburi area.

I can't belive you've had over 100 views but one one reply to your message!

I reckon it's coz everyone wants to keep Kanch town hush hush. It's the best place in Thailand, but please don't tell the Lonely Planet!!

There is a yoga school in Kan. Just near the train tracks on the main road. Big banners outside so you can't miss it. If you want a personal teacher to teach at your home, PM me and i'll pass on your details.

There is a large outdoor public swimming pool with a roof, just along the road and round the back from 'Fine Thanks' restaurant. Cost about 30Baht for the day.

Also as for good eats, there's a good steak house called Shu luck??. Just across the road from the Drugstore, on the main backpacker strip. They have air con inside and a few tables outside. Can highly recommend their Con don Bleu and T-bone steaks with Pepper sauce. Along with anything else on the menu.

They are a bit short on the drinks menu but if you want to BYO, there's no charge.

Let me know how it goes

Boycie.

Hi popsicle,

Have you tried "Apple Guesthouse & Restaurant"? It has a limited but tasty western menu. More importantly it has The Best Massaman Curry in Thailand, seriously.

I reckon it's coz everyone wants to keep Kanch town hush hush. It's the best place in Thailand, but please don't tell the Lonely Planet!!

Lonely Planet has had a sizeble chapter on Kanchanaburi for many years.

Cheers.

Edited by ashacat

No worries sgunn65.

Not to sure about their imported beef policy thou.

Forgot to mention Windmill Travel Lodge on the Kan bypass road.

Excellent western, recommend the gammon steak, as well as a full Thai menu.

They've also got a large pool with sliding roof, just what your looking for popsicle.

Added bonus of having John Smiths, Heineken, Chang and Strongbow on draught.

Enjoy. :o

Forgot to mention

Little Creek on the Bypass road.

Rascals, opposite the second 7/11 on Maenam Khwae Road (Backpacker Road) and The Jolly Frog, none are fine dining BTW, but must say, good grub. :o

Kan does not cater for Fine Diners as most (50% or more) are Thai tourist. The (50% or less) are day trippers. In, out, shake it all about on the Rafts (Floating Discos).

Prices are like most rural towns in Thailand.

One could try “The Felix” over the other side of the famous Bridge which is the best place in “Town” to stay, or do what I do, shop in Bangkok, bring it back and cook at home. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

• 1 year later...

Rascals, opposite the second 7/11 on Maenam Khwae Road (Backpacker Road) and The Jolly Frog, none are fine dining BTW, but must say, good grub. :)

Kan does not cater for Fine Diners as most (50% or more) are Thai tourist. The (50% or less) are day trippers. In, out, shake it all about on the Rafts (Floating Discos).

One could try “The Felix” over the other side of the famous Bridge which is the best place in “Town” to stay, or do what I do, shop in Bangkok, bring it back and cook at home. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win

Little Creek has been close for around a month now. Rascals has been gone for even longer (shame, great brekkie!).

Jolly Frog always good value and agree that Schluck does excellent steaks.

There's a new steakhouse just opened on the main road approx. 8km out of town towards Tha Muang/BKK. Haven't tried it yet but will give it a go this weekend.

Best brekkie available is definately at The Windmill and a decent Sunday roast at One More Bar.

The best place I've found to eat is Tai-Thai. It's run by a Thai woman with her son and daughter in law. The Thai food is excellent and the western food is great. Pepper Steak is good at 120baht, cheaper if you eat between 5-7. They also do a good selection of burgers and chips.

post-14845-1258695640_thumb.jpg

Rascals, opposite the second 7/11 on Maenam Khwae Road (Backpacker Road) and The Jolly Frog, none are fine dining BTW, but must say, good grub. :)

One could try "The Felix" over the other side of the famous Bridge which is the best place in "Town" to stay, or do what I do, shop in Bangkok, bring it back and cook at home. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win

Little Creek has been close for around a month now. Rascals has been gone for even longer (shame, great brekkie!).

Jolly Frog always good value and agree that Schluck does excellent steaks.

There's a new steakhouse just opened on the main road approx. 8km out of town towards Tha Muang/BKK. Haven't tried it yet but will give it a go this weekend.

Best brekkie available is definately at The Windmill and a decent Sunday roast at One More Bar.

Uh?? I was drinking in Rascals last wednesday and I will most probably have one or two in there this evening. They don't do any food there any longer though but you can order from outside and eat it there. Just an afterthought....has Rascals perhaps changed it's name? I'll ask Tommy this evening.

I seem to recall that the boss of Schlucks once told me that they get their steaks from Macro.

The yoga lady is called Tik. Used to go but got fed up as more gossip than yoga

There's actually a neat little steak house on the road from Ladya to town. Go past the Nong Bua turnoff then look out on your right. Very busy at lunchtimes, salmon steak is rather good too. Be careful to ask to avoid their 'dressing' -mai ao mayo