Are Rich Kids Spoiled Brats?

realmadrid25

ok, well i could have posed this as a question instead of a statement:

"You are probably considered rich in Thailand and will have rich children. Most rich children are spoiled brats. Are your kids (going to be) spoiled brats?"

To which I am sure 99.9999% of the responses would have been "Of course not, my kids are the complete opposite of brats. They are the most amazing kids on the planet, blah blah blah". Its like asking people if they are attractive or funny or if people like them, everyone says "yes".

So now that we have established that nobody on ThaiVisa has bratty kids, lets discuss what you did to make sure your kids didn't turn into brats. I think its a pretty hard task to pull off in LOS, especially when you consider that your lueks will have it beaten into their head how attractive they are from a very early age. In my experience, the leuk-krungs I know who have lived here all their life are way less interesting, more likely to be jerks/selfish/bratty than those who grew up abroad. Again, obviously these are not, nor will be, anyone on Thai Visa's children.

Also, as someone who grew up not rich, I had inspiration to succeed and I am now rich. So how do you make sure that your children also have the motivation to work hard for the big house and not expect that you will just give it to them? Do you tell this to them often? They will know if you are bluffing, right?

Edited by realmadrid25

o

Also, as someone who grew up not rich, I had inspiration to succeed and I am now rich. So how do you make sure that your children also have the motivation to work hard for the big house and not expect that you will just give it to them?

Just make sure to let them know it's YOUR cake, NOT to spoil them, let them earn everything!

They soon will know and understand!

The best and safest way to have truly "selfmade" kids...

oh god its the old guy who doesn't live in thailand but spends 4 hours a day on thai visa complaining about thailand.

I just gotta say:

That was pretty funny.

To stay on topic, I have had experience with both sets of kids. What I mean is that I have taught the rich luuk krungs and the fullblooded Thais and have indeed found a discrepancy, as the OP mentioned.

I don't have any kids, nor do I intend to have any, so I can't offer any real advice. However, I would hazard a guess that frequent trips to the less-fortunate areas of Thailand might have a beneficial effect. If the Thai half of the marriage has the good fortune (!?) of being from a poor area, the son/daughter could really learn a lot from grandma and grandpa's house.

BFD!

In my experience, it's the kids (and parents) who come from 'old money' who are the best and most normal- they don't do outrageous things and their wealth is not a big deal, just a fact of life.

However, the 'new money' kids and their parents are still insecure and have something to prove. They're the ones who obsess about it the most and this obsession unfortunately often expresses itself anti-socially, for example in strange eugenic beliefs and comparison of one's income and possessions with others'.

If I were you, the best way to protect your kids is to raise them middle-class and hide the money. If you're doing the 'big house' and so forth and making a big deal over the money, the kids will pick up the same values from you.

"S"

However, the 'new money' kids and their parents are still insecure and have something to prove. They're the ones who obsess about it the most and this obsession unfortunately often expresses itself anti-socially, for example in strange eugenic beliefs and comparison of one's income and possessions with others'.

A good lesson from Teacher.

my only frame of reference to new money and old money was the lady with the weird hat on the titanic. oh for shame, new money tries too much. get me another scotch. etc etc etc. i probably slept with your old money daughter so what is the difference anyways? btw, it does not even take much to be rich in thailand. so just assume that i have whatever amount of money does not make you uncomfortable and will not make you question the size of your male organ etc etc

Edited by realmadrid25

There are some middle class and poor children that are spoiled too

no. most of the thai kids i see are the complete opposite of spoiled. have taken out 22 year olds with an 8pm curfew and everyday see kids working in parents business. i cant remember a single luek krung female i took home who cooked me breakfast in the morning or washed my laundry. most probably dont even know how to do laundry.

my kid is 7 and only murderd 3 times.

what a stupid post.

I tend to agree with this, parent does kid does, so I've seen it from all camps. Poor, middle class, nuvo rich and the old elite. Doesn't matter what groups you try to draw isolate. And it's not unique to Thailand for that matter!

i cant remember a single luek krung female i took home who cooked me breakfast in the morning or washed my laundry. most probably dont even know how to do laundry.

I'm sure you didn't take them home for those!

Now get off you butts and do your own chores! Oh wait you're now rich right, why didn't you spare some money hiring a maid then?

Edited by teacup

i cant remember a single luek krung female i took home who cooked me breakfast in the morning or washed my laundry. most probably dont even know how to do laundry.

Most probably they weren't much impress by your performances and in an hurry to leave ... That's the problem with foreigners, hard to impress with the local noodle ... :o

Some are spoiled, some are not. Just like most other classes or demographic groups.

I have no kids of my own, so I am somewhat unbiased in this. But the Thai kids I have met are mostly from rich families, and most are really quite humble and normal. THey are certainly polite, at least.

Then again, most of my Thai friends are rich, and as I don't befriend jerks, they are pretty good people themselves. And the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.

I have a good friend with whom I got my Ph.D.. He is from a very, very rich and connected family which managed to get even richer and better connected during the 1997 crisis through some very astute moves.

When my friend came back with his foreign Ph.D., his father sent him off to work for a company which had no dealings with the family businesses and made him live for two years strictly off that salary. After two years, he came back to the family business groomed to take over.

It is this kind of thinkng by parents which keeps kids, even rich kids, from feeling "better" and "entitled" to things, and helps them mature into normal adults.

I think kids from all socio-economic backgrounds can and do grow up to be "spoiled" children and adults. The correlation between being well to do and spoiled IMO is thin at best and likely based from popular movie + television themes and personal resentment towards the better to do.

IMO some things that "create" spoiled children (and you'll note that no matter how much money you have, you can do all of these things and end up with spoiled kids):

-not punishing negative behaviour

-not promoting/encouraging positive behaviour

-not being a consistent example of right and wrong as a parent

-not saying "no" to a child, and no... not all children need to be asking for ponies and a Har-tru court to go with the hard court to play tennis on... kids can be just as spoiled by 7-11 'quality' toys and bags of street peanuts. Parents can *give in* too much/too often no matter what their financial status.

:o

i have a thai nephew that lives here and he's got 16gig iphone, his own laptop , and takes golf lessons from some pro and seems like a real polite nice kid. very respectful. I have nephews in america and they have all that stuff but their behaviors different to say the least. now i dont have any kids but when i do i'd like to raise them in thaliand. it's just an observation that the children here seem to still respect their elders.

Rich or not, it is down to the way the parents bring up the kids and I have to agree with Heng.

Kids spoilt from a very young age seem to me to be the worst and that can often be blamed on grandparents spoiling the kids, though not all the time. Give in to a childs whims and you are making trouble for yourself and the child in the future. Have to admit I hate spoilt brats.

I do not recall coming into contact with any spoilt brats here in Thailand from all the parties, weddings and other functions I have been to.