Adult In Thailand Who Didn't Finish High School

wasabi

I have a Lao friend who was unable to finish high school and dropped out at age 17, she now lives in Bangkok Thailand. I think she was one or two years away from finishing. She is now 30 years old and interested in getting her High school diploma then pursuing higher education. Is there any option for adults in Thailand to receive a high school degree as an adult? I believe they call High school มัธยมปลาย Matayom Blai in Thailand. In the USA we have a GED that is a general equivalence exam and it is available to non citizens too. There are many schools in the USA that target what is needed to pass this exam, once you pass it you have a high school diploma. Do they have something similar in Thailand?

Would it be a waste of time for her to pursue this or are there any options? If it is not excessively expensive I'm willing to pay so cost should not be an overriding factor. She speaks Lao and Thai fluently.

Thanks

What is her visa status in Thailand ?

She currently does visa runs every month. I believe unlike Farangs Lao citizens are still permitted to do this indefinitely. If in tandemn with getting a Mattayom 6 certificate she could get an education visa that would be even better.

There are adult night schools geared for this purpose. The big question is, how good are her Thai language skills? Also, transfer of transcripts from the Lao schools - don't know if they will be recognized here.

//edit - just saw your post indicating she is fluent in Thai.

The night classes are avaliable in most larger cities. They issue certs of conpletion as the various subjects are taken and tests are passed. Once completed she would be eligible to take enterance tests for University. Wife is presently doing this very thing.

There are adult night schools geared for this purpose. The big question is, how good are her Thai language skills? Also, transfer of transcripts from the Lao schools - don't know if they will be recognized here.

//edit - just saw your post indicating she is fluent in Thai.

A Lao would have to pay for schooling AFAIK.

The night classes are avaliable in most larger cities. They issue certs of conpletion as the various subjects are taken and tests are passed. Once completed she would be eligible to take enterance tests for University. Wife is presently doing this very thing.

Any recommendations for good schools for High school equivalence training and exams?

Are non-Thais even allowed to do that night school thing? I know there are plenty of foreigners who study at Thai universities, but I don't know if foreign nationals with the type of work permits that most Lao nationals have (don't know the classification, but the one that allows them to work as maids, laborers, etc... with the stipulation that they have to be on location at the house registration address where they are attached to on the work permit) can do so or not.

:o

It is my understanding this certificate cannot be issued to non-Thai citizens. There are numerous students who have completed university and cannot receive their degree because they have been waiting for their Mathayom 6 certificate which has not been issued because they have no ID card which has not been issued as they do not hold citizenship. This problem applies to many people on the Burmese border and Northern provinces.

I think a non-Thai would struggle with this. My missus has just started it (not night school but Sunday mornings). Her family (Aka) were only granted Thai citizenship about 10 years ago, and she had people phoning her just before she started questioning her nationality due to a misunderstanding over her family book.

The course is free btw, and having read some of her text books (music and maths are the only ones I can understand), it ain't easy.

If they speak English better than Thai, another option (potentially more useful in the long run if they plan to leave Thailand eventually) might be to study for an American high school equivalency (GED). Courses are offered in various locations (not cheap) and the test is offered in Thailand.

"S"